• The KillerFrogs

Coaching Carousel 2019/20

Wexahu

What he’s done in Pullman might be one of the better coaching jobs in recent memory

.500 conference record in 8 years, in probably the worst P5 conference. All in all I’d say he has done a pretty good job but I just get tired of the mindset of some of the Air Raid “innovators”. Seems to be more about gaudy offensive stats than winning games. Washington State gave up 53 to Oregon State and 67 to UCLA this year. That’s a direct result of coaching and philosophy that pays lip service to defense.

McGregor's Goat

And what have Hal Mumme and Mike Leach ever won? Any idiot can put up a bunch of passing yards and go 7-5 or 6-6.

If anyone here likes reading football books, I highly recommend The Perfect Pass by S.C. Gwynne. It tells the origin story of the Air Raid offense and focuses primarily on Mumme, but Leach is of course prominently featured. It also goes into quite a bit of football history (Dutch Meyer even makes an appearance).

I think a fair answer is that Mumme and Leach won quite a bit at places that hadn't won much before, but more importantly, they were responsible for one of the most interesting innovations in football. Without Mumme and Leach, you wouldn't have Lincoln Riley (at least not as we know him).

I think another point is that Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney proved that you can win a bunch of national championships by going to a recruiting superpower, doing what a bunch of people are already doing, but having a larger budget and recruiting better players by far than all but 3-4 teams in the country. And that's the right model at Alabama or Clemson, but not a template that 95% of schools can try to follow.

flyfishingfrog

And what have Hal Mumme and Mike Leach ever won? Any idiot can put up a bunch of passing yards and go 7-5 or 6-6.
Showed a bunch of schools that previously were not even competitive in their conference how to win more than they lose and have a since of pride and belief for the future

man - if you view is the only way to be a winner is to win it all - I would hate to be your mirror everyone morning

Eight

"Washington co-defensive coordinator Jimmy Lake threw some massive shade at Mike Leach and Washington State after the Huskies’ latest convincing win in the Apple Cup.

Washington beat Washington State for the sixth year in a row, holding the high-scoring Cougars to only 15 points. During the six-game losing streak, Leach’s squad has not scored more than 17 points in a game.

After Friday night’s win, Lake ripped into Washington State, boasting about how predictable and easy to stop they are. He said he was somewhat surprised the Cougs haven’t made adjustments, although he said Leach is a bit odd and therefore not too surprising.

Those are the kinds of words that will sting. And if Leach doesn’t take them to heart and finally make changes, he shouldn’t expect a different outcome next season as his team gets stomped in the Apple Cup once again."

comments from an article written 11/24/18 after udub hammered leach's offense in pullman.

lake made similar comments before the apple cup this year. guess meacham must have missed the game this year in seattle because that six-game streak became a seven-game losing streak and there has been one constant in all seven games aside from the plays leach has run in his offense.

Mean Purple

Like any offense, it had timit's time, and a great time it was. Can still be effective if executed correctly, which is Meach's point I am guessing.
Leach has had some defensive side issues. So have to consider that his offense is still good. AMD ole HM was a solid innovator, no denying his place in football history.

We now return you to contrarian fest.

Froggish

.500 conference record in 8 years, in probably the worst P5 conference. All in all I’d say he has done a pretty good job but I just get tired of the mindset of some of the Air Raid “innovators”. Seems to be more about gaudy offensive stats than winning games. Washington State gave up 53 to Oregon State and 67 to UCLA this year. That’s a direct result of coaching and philosophy that pays lip service to defense.

The fact that the most of the innovation done to the Air Raid in recent years has all been to bring relevance to the run game tells you all that you need to know about that offense. Whatever offense a team decides to run has to be able to control the clock and chew when necessary. The old Mumme/Leach versions may put up some running yards but they have never been capable of controlling a game. It’s the old “let’s out score them” philosophy which will eventually get you no matter how good you are.

Froggish

"Washington co-defensive coordinator Jimmy Lake threw some massive shade at Mike Leach and Washington State after the Huskies’ latest convincing win in the Apple Cup.

Washington beat Washington State for the sixth year in a row, holding the high-scoring Cougars to only 15 points. During the six-game losing streak, Leach’s squad has not scored more than 17 points in a game.

After Friday night’s win, Lake ripped into Washington State, boasting about how predictable and easy to stop they are. He said he was somewhat surprised the Cougs haven’t made adjustments, although he said Leach is a bit odd and therefore not too surprising.

Those are the kinds of words that will sting. And if Leach doesn’t take them to heart and finally make changes, he shouldn’t expect a different outcome next season as his team gets stomped in the Apple Cup once again."

comments from an article written 11/24/18 after udub hammered leach's offense in pullman.

lake made similar comments before the apple cup this year. guess meacham must have missed the game this year in seattle because that six-game streak became a seven-game losing streak and there has been one constant in all seven games aside from the plays leach has run in his offense.

I don’t get to watch Leach at WSU much but I know he doesn’t seem to differ from his base offense. He’s a firm believer that when it fails it’s because the kids didn’t execute it right.

So UT has made their change at OC and Ark has hired one. Obviously people can agree or disagree with the candidates brought in or in UT’s case the decision to move on. Right or wrong you in UT’s case you have to applaud them for having the guts to make a change. TCU continues to sit on the sidelines other than the brain dead decision to re appoint Anderson to OL Coach. Where does TCU have a coaching advantage over its big 12 peers other than Kansas?

flyfishingfrog

So UT has made their change at OC and Ark has hired one. Obviously people can agree or disagree with the candidates brought in or in UT’s case the decision to move on. Right or wrong you in UT’s case you have to applaud them for having the guts to make a change. TCU continues to sit on the sidelines other than the brain dead decision to re appoint Anderson to OL Coach. Where does TCU have a coaching advantage over its big 12 peers other than Kansas?
UT ended up with a shot in the dark and pray candidate that was their 4th or 5th choice and Arkansas hired an immoral, unethical kid who is still living off the memory of his cheating fathers success and has yet to prove much on his own- plus he doesn’t even fit the system their head coach wants to use

If you think either of those moves was a success than you might re-examine the concept