• The KillerFrogs

Anderson to be OL coach.

Mean Purple

Ceiling for next season is 8 wins. And the most likely is 6-7. Such poor effort by GP.

Either he go caught with his pants down or he just wants to take care of his buddies.
Probably a mixture of both. That, and he is too comfortable. If dude does not get 10 wins next season, he should have to answer for it big time.

Mean Purple

he killed offensive line recruiting for three years and if he wasn't good enough to do the job before why the hell are you bringing him back?

this is a comfort move by gary and one reason why cumbie still has a job is he is going to go along with anything gary wants him to do and be well paid for it.
Patterson about to go down with the ship.

Wexahu

I’m not wrecked by this move unless it is a clue to GP’s approach to the bigger question of the offensive problems. I can live with Anderson at OL

Exactly where I'm at. Whether this was a good move or not can certainly be debated, but there's no doubt in my mind JA is the target of unfair criticism (as is Dan Sharp too IMO). I'm way more worried about the offensive philosophy and design and what the heck we are going to do on that front because what we have had absolutely stinks and has to change.

Eight

Our W-L records were better with Anderson.

also were better with meacham than since he and tcu parted ways yet i don't see doug getting a second chance or a third or a fourth........

not calling for doug to be brought back, but this was a comfort move that doesn't give much confidence on the next moves.

this offense needs structure, it needs better execution, and in needs a competent plan. anderson has been in a position as an oc and position coach to make that type of impact. in fact, he has the longest tenure of any offensive coach so which group actually played better under him than the prior coach?

Mean Purple

It is a hopeless move. Gary should take the CFP/National Championship off the top of his famous pyramid that he gets the kids to sign off on....how disheartening this is....
he is a good coach, but it has been obvious since we got to the big 12 that he is not a national champ type of coach. That whole pyramid is laughable.
This move is just confirming it all.

purplecircle

I think there’s going to be one more offensive staff move that puts a big pile of crow out for dinner. However, if that doesn’t come I’d say the program needs a top-down reboot.

Mean Purple

Funny how everyone always talks tough about dumping tickets. But there were very few open season tickets when I went to renew in basketball this year and likewise in football.

The teams choice in OL coach is not going to impact the bottom line at all. I’d imagine 45,000 of the 50,000 ticket holders couldn’t care less or even know who the OL coach is.
Attending a bball game does not entail the same effort or cost of attending football. Time, dollars, parking, crowds, etc.
If TCU does not win, it will see the attendance drop in football. just like years ago. just like it is happening at Mich. State right now.

JockO de Frog

True.

The thing I'm having trouble making sense of is our offensive line in 2014-2016 under Anderson's watch was better than what we saw under Thomsen these past few years.
This has been my view for two years. Here I am on page 5 of this thread and thinking there sure is a lot of hate going on. Personally, I'm not that disappointed. We were not getting the quality OL recruits a few years ago but under Anderson I thought there was actually more player development. I agree that a good OL ga would be a big plus.

Mean Purple

i would say the 2017 line was actually a very good line and comparable.

important to remember as well as what was asked of the offensive line in the scheme in 2014 and 2105 was fairly basic as there was as much an emphasis on using the line splits and tempo (running a true hunh) as there was technique and scheme in the run game.

the frogs were a pass first offense and that started to change in 2017.

i am not saying thomsen's lines played good the past few seasons, but they one big advantage the 2014 and 2015 lines had going for them was there was an offensive plan and that hasn't been the case the past two years
So can we go back to a pass first offense? cause what we have now kinda sucks.

JockO de Frog

he is a good coach, but it has been obvious since we got to the big 12 that he is not a national champ type of coach. That whole pyramid is laughable.
This move is just confirming it all.
Disagree. For a small private college, we have gotten very close, much closer than 90% of the large state colleges. We may not win a championship, but I bet we make it to the CFP games eventually.

JockO de Frog

I stated in another thread that it appears that our offense operates like 4 separate units with no cohesion. Part of that problem might be coaches that all have a different philosophy and refuse to be submitted to one plan. Cumbie may have been working under such a situation. Perhaps Anderson is willing to get on board and bring some coordination. Guess we'll see but in CGP I trust.

Pharm Frog

I read a lot of disappointment and disillusionment in this thread to this point. I know it's more than possible to be disappointed in that which you had to expect was coming but doesn't seem rational to me.