• The KillerFrogs

My Theory: Delton and GP’s Calculated Plan

Eight

"Delton wasn’t a GP blind spot. Delton was a calculated plan. He was a means to an end. The frogs are better off with 12 games under Duggan’s belt as well as what he may have learned from Delton about how to be a leader and a teammate."

acc13298-5e3e-40ac-8849-7048a2a5a016_100_h_6.gif

but what if duggan being a "coach's son" and with the intrinsic leadership skills found in those from middle america didn't need to learn how to be a leader and a teammate and his growth was actually impaired because of the lost practice reps?

jake102

My theory is that there were other guys out there and we went after the wrong guy.

Also, I'm just befuddled that anyone thinks running this thing back in 2020 is the right move. I've hardly ever seen a more obvious case of an OC needing to be replaced than what has transpired the past two years here. Just hoping on a prayer that things magically turn around in 2020.

Planks

How does Delton committing to UTEP first fit into this?

It probably contributed to our coaches feeling they “owed” Delton playing time. Delton had the option of going to UTEP, where he could have played for a former KSU coach and Delton would have been the guaranteed full time starter. Our coaches convinced him to come to TCU instead.

Remember, not only did Delton get the first chance to start here, coaches also felt the need to pull Duggan and get Delton playing time in other games (Kansas and KSU). Maybe our coaches don’t feel this need if Delton didn’t have another option on the table. Our coaches never felt the need to play Matt Joeckel, Bram, Mike Collins, or any other transfer who wasn’t the starter. I think the UTEP situation maybe have been what was different.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Delton leaving didn’t change anything. You all didn’t like him before he left. You didn’t like him after he left.

Who is this "you" to which you refer? Most of this board was cautiously excited about Delton. No one wanted to see him fail.

So to my last point. Many of you hated the Delton experiment. Many of you wonder why GP didn’t get a different grad transfer. Maybe he could have. Maybe we get someone that leads us to 8-4 instead of 5-7. Would that have felt better today? Sure. But next year Duggan would be a redshirt freshman with little experience and possibly no one that taught him what it takes. Would we be better off? I say without a doubt, no.

Delton wasn’t a GP blind spot. Delton was a calculated plan. He was a means to an end. The frogs are better off with 12 games under Duggan’s belt as well as what he may have learned from Delton about how to be a leader and a teammate.

Many of us hated the Delton Experiment after the full denouement of the drama. GMFP put Delton in a tricky position, and Delton wound up quitting. Maybe he was, as you say, tired of football, it is also quite likely that he wasn't terribly keen on being used and discarded, either. I can't think that Duggan learned anything positive about Delton's departure, save that it served as an object lesson in the nature of Big Time College Football.

Max is a winner, and in being forced to start him, GMFP is now a year ahead on his development.* No Battle Plan survives the first shot, and we are lucky that it worked out to at least a small degree...

*Provided, that is, Sonny doesn't un-learn him of whatever he was able to take in...

Planks

My theory is that there were other guys out there and we went after the wrong guy.

I know GP has said Delton was the only guy interested. However I do find it hard to believe that across the entire country, Delton was the best transfer we could get. It’s definitely frustrating to look across the metroplex and see what SMU got in Buechele and what we got in Delton. And yes I understand that Buechele wasn’t an option for TCU due to timing as well as the fact that Texas likely would have blocked the transfer.

FrogCop19

Not bad. At least it didn't go where I thought it was going, where Delton joins the staff and replaces Cumbie as the OC, seeing as he's such a student of the game. That would have gotten my hopes up WAY too much.

netty2424

Also, I'm just befuddled that anyone thinks running this thing back in 2020 is the right move. I've hardly ever seen a more obvious case of an OC needing to be replaced than what has transpired the past two years here. Just hoping on a prayer that things magically turn around in 2020.
It seems apparent at this point that Cumbie is running the show next year. So I am holding onto hope that GP is waiting for the bowl season to end to announce an analyst hire.

For no reason other than to think, we simply can’t do this 3 years in a row without significant changes. And possibly due to his respect for other programs in creating/avoiding a distraction for them by poaching one of their coaches during bowl prep.

Outside of that, I’m at a loss.

Last edited:

jake102

It seems apparent at this point that Cumbie is running the show next year. So I am holding onto hope that GP is waiting for the bowl season to end to announce an analyst hire.

For no reason other than to think, we simply can’t do this 3 years in a row without significant changes. And possibly due to his respect for other programs in creating/avoiding a distraction for them by poaching one of their coaches during bowl prep.

Outside of that, I’m at a loss.

Oh yeah, I have no delusions that a new OC is coming on board. It's going to be Cumbie next season. Regardless I'm astonished at how many posters here and 247 have rationalized some sort of reason to not make a change. I've yet to see even a remotely decent argument for not making a change. You can't be a college football fan, watch a bunch of games, and not think our offense is a total mess at the fundamental levels.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I think the manifesto could use a little shave with Occam’s Razor. Coaching staff wanted an experienced QB transfer to supplement a young QB corps if one could be found. GP and Snyder speak. Delton relocates to Fort Worth with an understanding that GP’s endorsement would be sufficient to get him first shot at the starting gig.
Close. Needs more words.

Chongo94

Oh yeah, I have no delusions that a new OC is coming on board. It's going to be Cumbie next season. Regardless I'm astonished at how many posters here and 247 have rationalized some sort of reason to not make a change. I've yet to see even a remotely decent argument for not making a change. You can't be a college football fan, watch a bunch of games, and not think our offense is a total mess at the fundamental levels.

This offense will be an outright abomination next year if changes aren’t made. It will be a mixture of keystone cops and Charlie Brown trying to kick a football. I do not look forward to watching it.

jake102

This offense will be an outright abomination next year if changes aren’t made. It will be a mixture of keystone cops and Charlie Brown trying to kick a football. I do not look forward to watching it.

Yeah I’m not exactly jumping for joy at the thought of a non-senior OL (like we had this year), no Reagor, no DA and Sewo offense

Call me a scheissing skeptic but I’m not buying what some are selling on offense. It looks like a disaster

Peacefrog

Degenerate

Yeah I’m not exactly jumping for joy at the thought of a non-senior OL (like we had this year), no Reagor, no DA and Sewo offense

Call me a scheissing skeptic but I’m not buying what some are selling on offense. It looks like a disaster
I’m trying to figure out how you feel about the offense but it’s still unclear to me.