• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Moose Stuff

I have very little faith that Jimmy ends up a Frog. The others commits I believe we will hold but Jimmy is catching the attention of everyone in the south

IMO..... when recruits are getting that kind of attention late in the process it’s because they’re listening to it. I don’t count Holiday as a TCU commit at this point. Not saying we can’t sign him, just that he isn’t committed right now.

Moose Stuff

baylor is opening all of their sugar bowl practices to all Texas high school football coaches. That is a great way to get to know the coaches and help with recruiting in the future. Seems like an amazing idea. However, seems like something that would never in a million years happen with Patterson.

The counterpoint to that is that Gary has been here 20+ years..... he knows the coaches.

MTfrog5

baylor is opening all of their sugar bowl practices to all Texas high school football coaches. That is a great way to get to know the coaches and help with recruiting in the future. Seems like an amazing idea. However, seems like something that would never in a million years happen with Patterson.
They did that last year and had the 10th ranked class in the Big 12 and not a very high average per recruit especially before Sylvester switched.

Eight

The counterpoint to that is that Gary has been here 20+ years..... he knows the coaches.

the counter, counterpoint is that every year new head coaches get hired, new schools open which means new staffs, and if i ever had a sales rep who told me he has worked his territory for 20 years so he knows everyone he needs to know he better be the #1 salesman in the whole damn firm

Moose Stuff

the counter, counterpoint is that every year new head coaches get hired, new schools open which means new staffs, and if i ever had a sales rep who told me he has worked his territory for 20 years so he knows everyone he needs to know he better be the #1 salesman in the whole damn firm

Not really a good comparison. Gary isn’t recruiting the coaches, he’s recruiting their players. And I GUARANTEE you our staff knows the coaches in this state as well as anyone.

Eight

Not really a good comparison. Gary isn’t recruiting the coaches, he’s recruiting their players. And I GUARANTEE you our staff knows the coaches in this state as well as anyone.

no way to confirm your last comment and based upon comments from friends who are at high schools in the gulf coast area.

not knocking this staff, merely there a few staffs who have made a very concerted effort to cover the state and do a very good job working with the relationships through the thsca.

as a program we do not do the outreach things to the prospects and coaches that other programs are doing at this time.

Moose Stuff

no way to confirm your last comment and based upon comments from friends who are at high schools in the gulf coast area.

not knocking this staff, merely there a few staffs who have made a very concerted effort to cover the state and do a very good job working with the relationships through the thsca.

as a program we do not do the outreach things to the prospects and coaches that other programs are doing at this time.
It’s low on my list of concerns about our program. I’ll leave it at that.

Froggish

So the reason that we don’t recruit locally better than we are is that the coaches don’t know Gary?
Doubt it but it’s possible his lack program accessibility does have an effect on our outcomes. Hard to measure that though. If your a HS coach who aspires to build your career, and a respected CFB coach welcomes you over and allows you access to the program, my guess is the perception is one guy likes you better than the other

Moose Stuff

Doubt it but it’s possible his lack program accessibility does have an effect on our outcomes. Hard to measure that though. If your a HS coach who aspires to build your career, and a respected CFB coach welcomes you over and allows you access to the program, my guess is the perception is one guy likes you better than the other

Why are we acting like Gary doesn’t let HS coaches have access to his program? I’m certain he does.

Eight

Why are we acting like Gary doesn’t let HS coaches have access to his program? I’m certain he does.

no one said gary doesn't allow high school coaches access to his program, but there are other programs in the state right now who are doubling down in working those relationships.

heck, gary spoke at the thsca meeting in 2018 so it isn't as if he isn't present, but we are limited in the support staff working a very big state and that is where some of the difference comes from in this area.