• The KillerFrogs

Coby Boulware transferring....

flyfishingfrog

I’m not sure I’d call it BAD news, but it’s certainly not good news when a likely starter transfers 3 months before opening day.
exactly - if this had been at the end of last year where we could have tried to recruit to fill the hole, that would have been one thing. But on a roster where we run super thin on position players in order to keep a deeper bullpen - there is no way having a projected CF starter transfer when you can't recover is good news.

If someone wants to debate the idea that having CB as our starting CF wasn't good news to begin with - I could understand that position but if that was the problem, the issue needed to be addressed during the summer - not now.

Can a player from a JUCO transfer to TCU for spring semester and be eligible at this point? or are we stuck a player short?

Moose Stuff

exactly - if this had been at the end of last year where we could have tried to recruit to fill the hole, that would have been one thing. But on a roster where we run super thin on position players in order to keep a deeper bullpen - there is no way having a projected CF starter transfer when you can't recover is good news.

If someone wants to debate the idea that having CB as our starting CF wasn't good news to begin with - I could understand that position but if that was the problem, the issue needed to be addressed during the summer - not now.

Can a player from a JUCO transfer to TCU for spring semester and be eligible at this point? or are we stuck a player short?

I believe the answer to that is “yes” assuming he was a full qualifier out of HS. Not certain of that though. I vaguely remember current OU assistant Clay Van Hook transferring from Navarro to UT at midterm back in like 2005. Something like that obviously leaves the JUCO hanging so it’s not something college coaches are likely to do just for the “burning bridges” aspect of it. The two staffs would likely need a REAL good relationship to pull that off. In Van Hook’s case his head coach at Navarro was Skip Johnson. We all know where Skip ended up (like 2 years later) so you can get a sense of that relationship.

Not to claim some states’ border exemptions and I’ve known plenty of out-of-staters in TX who used all sorts of tricks to get residency. How many of these loopholes have been closed since I was an admissions dean I do not know.

I don’t know about Arkie’s residency rules in particular but I do know that depending on his GPA it’s likely that the difference in OOS tuition and in-state tuition will be reduced by up to 90% (surrounding state) or a minimum of 50% (extended state for a 3.3 or so). Don’t know what kind of student he is but I cannot imagine a scenario where Arkie would be even close to TCU in cost.

I think you are right that schools can make some exceptions for various reasons, but if this type of exception was used only for athletes, it would not fly. It would have to be an exception that was available to other non-athlete students.

Pharm Frog

I think you are right that schools can make some exceptions for various reasons, but if this type of exception was used only for athletes, it would not fly. It would have to be an exception that was available to other non-athlete students.

Agreed. All exceptions (exemptions) I’ve known about apply to anyone who wanted to pursue them.

Punter1

This is where the word “dumbass” pops into my head.

Gave up a starting job at a Top 20 school to sit out a year and roll the rice. Dumb.

So how do these baseball cuts work...is this common practice?? Aren't the scholarships good for a year?? And have we ever cut anybody like that that we would be familiar with??

Moose Stuff

Gave up a starting job at a Top 20 school to sit out a year and roll the rice. Dumb.

So how do these baseball cuts work...is this common practice?? Aren't the scholarships good for a year?? And have we ever cut anybody like that that we would be familiar with??

I doubt he was on scholarship up there

flyfishingfrog

This is where the word “dumbass” pops into my head.
exactly - did he even get a chance to workout on the field for them? He was here for our Fall ball session. Has Arky had another session for him to be on the field with the team since then? or did he get cut based on a pure paper review that they had better options - which he should have discussed with the coaches before ever leaving.

H-Town Frog

exactly - did he even get a chance to workout on the field for them? He was here for our Fall ball session. Has Arky had another session for him to be on the field with the team since then? or did he get cut based on a pure paper review that they had better options - which he should have discussed with the coaches before ever leaving.

Fall 2018

flyfishingfrog

Fall 2018
So there fall was after ours? Because wasn’t he here for our fall ball? Or do you mean fall ball this year- 2019?
I thought he was ineligible but maybe that ends after the official season in 2019 and he practiced with the team in fall before getting cut- which makes more sense

flyfishingfrog

He left last year. Old post dug up.
I get that but he was here for last fall, then had to sit out 2019 at Arky, so he didn’t get playing time before then - but as I said, I am guessing that only applies to the 2019 season not the calendar year so he was able to participate in 2019 Fall workouts