• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football is in no rush to make staff changes, despite disappointing 5-7 season

H0RNEDFR0G

not sure who internally would be a good candidate for a promotion when you consider the choices:

anderson was a oc who gary demoted
kelly is in his first year as a full time coach
luper is a recruiter

then your two offensive analysts are:

tony savino who is a former offensive lineman who played at tcu
rusty burns who was an oc that was demoted

that leaves any changes coming from organic change or someone who currently isn't in the program. as you pointed out all the coaches slots are taken which means you either have more staff changes or bring in an analyst

Offense:

7th in conference at total offense
8th in scoring offense
8th at sacks allowed
8th in 10+ yard plays
9th at passing offense
9th in Red Zone TD conversions
10th at passing completion %

But whooo doggie we're #2 at time of possession and #3 at rushing

Defense:

1st at 10+ yard plays (limiting big plays)
1st at passing completion% (QBs have bad completion % against us)
2nd in conference at total defense (yards allowed)
2nd at passing defense (yards allowed)
2nd passes broken up
2nd in interceptions
3rd in rushing defense (yards allowed) - I attribute this to great LB play
5th in scoring defense (points allowed)
6th in Opponent Red Zone TD conversions
7th in fumbles forced
7th at sacks

Basically our entire offense, outside of the running game, sucks. I think a lot of our running success could be attributed to Max Duggan's ability to scramble on a busted play. He accounted for 555 of our 2448 yards rushing this season. Without Max, we'd be #6 at rushing offense. This would put us in the bottom half of the conference at essentially every offensive metric.

Every aspect of our passing game is below average. We don't give the QB time to throw, WRs don't catch, we're not explosive, and we don't score TDs in the redzone. Cumbie, Anderson, Kelly, & Thomsen should all be under evaluation for demotion/termination as far as I can tell.

The only part of our Defense that sucks is the line. DB and LB play have been strong. According to footballoutsiders.com TCU had the 101st ranked defensive line in the nation:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadl/2019

Fitch and Sharp have got to get more out of their guys. Gonzales and Modkins are doing a great job. Glasgow is doing a pretty good job, he'd be doing significantly better if we were getting more production out of our D-line. I realize that we graduated a ton of D-line talent after the 2018 season, even taking that into account, 2019 was below the TCU standard for defensive line play.

But even with the substandard D-line play, we could've been 11-1, possibly even 12-1 conference champs, if we were 5th or 6th best at these offensive statistics. Unfortunately I don't think anything could've saved us from the debacle at Ames, IA.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

Offense:

3rd in rushing offense
8th in scoring offense
8th at sacks allowed
8th in 10+ yard plays
9th at passing offense

But whooo doogie we're #2 at time of possession and #3 at rushing

Defense:

2nd in conference at total defense
5th in scoring defense
7th at sacks
1st at 10+ yard plays
2nd at passing defense
1st at passing completion %
2nd passes broken up
2nd in interceptions
7th in fumbles forced

Basically our entire offense, outside of the running game, sucks. We don't give the QB time to throw, WR don't catch, we're not explosive, we don't score TDs in the redzone. Luper is the only coach getting a pass here. Cumbie, Anderson, Kelly, & Thomsen should all be under evaluation for demotion/termination as far as I can tell.

But, the only part of our defense that sucks is the Line. DB play has been strong. According to footballoutsiders.com TCU had the 101st ranked defensive line in the nation:

Fitch and Sharp have got to get more out of their guys. Gonzales and Modkins are doing a great job. Glasgow is doing a pretty good job, he'd be doing alot better if we were getting more production out of our D-line.
Pretty much confirms who everyone posted about seeing all season.
Still, I don't see GP making any changes. Not sure expecting Cumbie and co. to change/fix things that they have not fixed for 3 years is a good bet either.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Offense:

3rd in rushing offense
8th in scoring offense
8th at sacks allowed
8th in 10+ yard plays
9th at passing offense

Defense:

5th in scoring defense
7th at sacks
1st at 10+ yard plays
2nd at passing defense
2nd passes broken up
2nd in interceptions
7th in fumbles forced

Basically our entire offense, outside of the running game, sucks. We don't give the QB time to throw, WR don't catch, we're not explosive, we don't score TDs in the redzone. Luper is the only coach getting a pass here. Cumbie, Anderson, Kelly, & Thomsen should all be under evaluation for demotion/termination as far as I can tell.

But, the only part of our defense that sucks is the Line. DB play has been strong. According to footballoutsiders.com TCU had the 101st ranked defensive line in the nation:

Fitch and Sharp have got to get more out of their guys. Gonzales and Modkins are doing a great job. Glasgow is doing a pretty good job, he'd be doing alot better if we were getting more production out of our D-line.
Funny, but I seem to recall that the pre-season line was "Our D-line may be the best ever at TCU."

And they then proceeded to lay down and play dead. (See above stats)

I don't know all the details, but somebody made a really lousy read on the abilities of the players and their capacity to play as a unit. Things picked up late as younger players got more time.

Evaluation has become a big weakness all of a sudden. Why?

Eight

Funny, but I seem to recall that the pre-season line was "Our D-line may be the best ever at TCU."

I don't know all the details, but somebody made a really lousy read on the abilities of the players and their capacity to play as a unit. Things picked up late as younger players got more time.

there were some concerns in the defensive line from the start in regards to defensive end and that got compounded by the situation at linebacker.

some believed it wouldn't be an issue because of the belief that gary always can find a defensive end, but in reality there were always players they had on the roster which really was the key here.

the frogs didn't have enough quality prospects on the roster at defensive end and with the loss of bowen again for the season and colt recovering from reconstructive surgery last year the frogs went into this season with mathis, an undersized juco transfer, a grad transfer who basically missed 2 1/2 years after getting shot at south carolina, and a true freshman who sat out last year.

hornedfrog86

Offense:

3rd in rushing offense
8th in scoring offense
8th at sacks allowed
8th in 10+ yard plays
9th at passing offense

Defense:

5th in scoring defense
7th at sacks
1st at 10+ yard plays
2nd at passing defense
2nd passes broken up
2nd in interceptions
7th in fumbles forced

We must bring back Bumpas.

Tumbleweed

Tshirt Fan

FIRE GARY

Could you just imagine Art Briles pacing our sideline as offensive coordinator?
With Johnny tapefingers in tow?
We could easily win 11 games a season, lead during the first half of the conference championship, and then just [ Finebaum ] the bed because showboating.
And do that 5 years in a row.

PO Frog

Could you just imagine Art Briles pacing our sideline as offensive coordinator?
With Johnny tapefingers in tow?
We could easily win 11 games a season, lead during the first half of the conference championship, and then just [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] the bed because showboating.
And do that 5 years in a row.
Would be so much more exciting than the current snoozefests.

Seeing just how statistically bad the TCU offense is compared to its Big 12 peers is jarring. I don’t know what’s more shocking, the lack of a coaching change to address those shortcomings or the number of folks who think everything is fine, nothing to see here and the offense will work itself out if TCU stays the course. It will be interesting to see just how much worse things can get next season under current leadership structure.

tetonfrog

Seeing just how statistically bad the TCU offense is compared to its Big 12 peers is jarring. I don’t know what’s more shocking, the lack of a coaching change to address those shortcomings or the number of folks who think everything is fine, nothing to see here and the offense will work itself out if TCU stays the course. It will be interesting to see just how much worse things can get next season under current leadership structure.

Who is saying these things? GP still has his defenders, but I doubt SC does. Remind me what posters are saying that we don't need change on offense.

Mean Purple

My guess, if GP produces another 5 or 6 win season next year, he'll retire or be fired.

Mean Purple

Offense:

3rd in rushing offense
8th in scoring offense
8th at sacks allowed
8th in 10+ yard plays
9th at passing offense

Defense:

5th in scoring defense
7th at sacks
1st at 10+ yard plays
2nd at passing defense
2nd passes broken up
2nd in interceptions
7th in fumbles forced

Again, these stats are telling.

The number of people advocating to “stay the course” on here, or anywhere else, is zero.

You know what they say about it being better to stay quiet and let people believe you are a fool...