• The KillerFrogs

Conference Championship Weekend Thread

Wexahu

i know, i know, logistics and all.

my personal thought is i don't want people who are removed from the actual game deciding the championship and this year to me is an example of where you have 3 undefeated teams who have done everything they had to do and one would get left out based upon opinion

no other college sport or level of college football operates in this manner and have always found it [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]

Nobody is getting “left out”, surely not the 3 undefeated teams. I’m not sure I understand what you are saying. Nobody is suggesting going back to the old system. As for your point about the non compelling NY6 games, what round of 16 playoff games in a theoretical I-AA system would be compelling? They have a hard enough time getting two competitive semifinal games.

CountryFrog

Nobody is getting “left out”, surely not the 3 undefeated teams. I’m not sure I understand what you are saying. Nobody is suggesting going back to the old system. As for your point about the non compelling NY6 games, what round of 16 playoff games in a theoretical I-AA system would be compelling? They have a hard enough time getting two competitive semifinal games.
Can you really not see how PLAYOFF games would be more compelling than exhibitions? Are the ratings not higher for a 2 vs 15 game in the basketball tournament than if those same teams were to play some non-con game in November?

Wexahu

Can you really not see how PLAYOFF games would be more compelling than exhibitions? Are the ratings not higher for a 2 vs 15 game in the basketball tournament than if those same teams were to play some non-con game in November?

They are no more of exhibitions than what our Rose Bowl game was. Was that exciting to you? Are you willing to give up a regular season game and the bowl system (and maybe the CC games too) to go to a 16 team playoff?

Eight

depends , if you use a system of the ifve p-5 conference winners in you have

lsu
ohio state
clemson
ou
uo

and they the next three depend upon the criteria

say you take the highest rated non p-5 and the two highest rated p-5/s

you get something like this in the first round played at the home stadium of the first team

lsu vs memphis
ohio state vs bama
clemson vs georgia
ou vs uo

Wexahu

depends , if you use a system of the ifve p-5 conference winners in you have

lsu
ohio state
clemson
ou
uo

and they the next three depend upon the criteria

say you take the highest rated non p-5 and the two highest rated p-5/s

you get something like this in the first round played at the home stadium of the first team

lsu vs memphis
ohio state vs bama
clemson vs georgia
ou vs uo

But don’t you think Oregon and Georgia kind of had their chance to make the playoffs and prove they are worthy. Georgia just got dominated yesterday in a game they had every incentive to win. Why is giving them another shot necessary?

CountryFrog

They are no more of exhibitions than what our Rose Bowl game was. Was that exciting to you? Are you willing to give up a regular season game and the bowl system (and maybe the CC games too) to go to a 16 team playoff?
No one is debating whether or not the fans of teams actually playing in those games will find them intriguing.

And yes I think about 90% of fans are more than willing to give up one regular season game to expand the playoffs. The CCG's aren't going anywhere because $.

Wexahu

No one is debating whether or not the fans of teams actually playing in those games will find them intriguing.

And yes I think about 90% of fans are more than willing to give up one regular season game to expand the playoffs. The CCG's aren't going anywhere because $.

I sure wouldn’t, unless it was the FCS game. All a 16 team playoff will do is make the inevitable last another week. I could be talked into 8.

CountryFrog

But don’t you think Oregon and Georgia kind of had their chance to make the playoffs and prove they are worthy. Georgia just got dominated yesterday in a game they had every incentive to win. Why is giving them another shot necessary?
The winner of the NFC East this year will possibly be someone with a losing record. Why is it "necessary" to give them another chance? Because sports fans watch playoff games and want as many as possible.

Wexahu

The winner of the NFC East this year will possibly be someone with a losing record. Why is it "necessary" to give them another chance? Because sports fans watch playoff games and want as many as possible.

Boy that’s a pretty terrible argument. The NFL is a bore. Maybe you think otherwise but I think it sucks, and is getting worse.

Eight

fairly simple to me and i have said it multiple times in this thread.

i do not like people removed from the game making a decision about who win a title based upon opinion.

college football at this level is the last sport to decide a title based upon opinion instead of play on the field.

there is not going to be a perfect system, but in my mind it is better to decide the champion based upon performance instead of opinions. you can get too big, heck the basketball tournament has gotten too big a long time ago which is why i don't want to go above 8

each year we get in a stupid argument not about the 1st spot, but the freaking 4th spot. if oregon doesn't schedule auburn in a preseason game they have the same record and resume as ou. 1-loss, when a conference championship and have an ugly loss.

so you reward the team that scheduled an easier non-conference schedule and i am freaking tired of arguments about the strongest or weakest conferences

each conference winner gets in, you need 3 more teams to round it out, play the games at the homes of the conference winners to reward them and go from there.

perfect? far from it, but so much of the discussion about the current system is trivial, contrived bull [ Finebaum ] and we still are subject to the opinion of people who have nothing at stake

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

Exactly. If you just consider conference championship games de facto quarterfinal games it all ends up being about the same anyway.
If they would agree that losers are out and teams that didn’t play in the CCG can’t even be considered - then yes it would be the same thing....

except ND would have to join the ACC or somewhere

so really it’s nothing like the same thing

CountryFrog

Boy that’s a pretty terrible argument. The NFL is a bore. Maybe you think otherwise but I think it sucks, and is getting worse.
It's the only argument that matters and whether it's "a bore" or not isn't the issue. NFL games are consistently the highest rated television product with or without Wexahu watching and that's ultimately what football is in both college and NFL - a made for TV event. They make their decisions based on money and will expand the playoff if it means getting more of it.

Wexahu

It's the only argument that matters and whether it's "a bore" or not isn't the issue. NFL games are consistently the highest rated television product with or without Wexahu watching and that's ultimately what football is in both college and NFL - a made for TV event. They make their decisions based on money and will expand the playoff if it means getting more of it.

They would have had an expanded playoff system 20 years ago if every decision they made was about money. But it isn’t pro sports.

CountryFrog

They would have had an expanded playoff system 20 years ago if every decision they made was about money. But it isn’t pro sports.
It was actually the fear of the people in charge of the sport that they might lose money by alienating their core fanbase and going away from what had been the basis of the sport for so long. It took a few fresh faces in key positions to convince everyone involved how wrong that thinking was.

Now that the playoff system has proven to be a cash cow, it will continue expanding. It's already been decided by the people who count and it will happen in the next 3-5 years.

Eight

twenty years ago you didn't have a single entity like disney who controlled the stake they do in college football

do you really think that majority of the decisions made concerning college football aren't driven by money?

why the heck did tcu start the east side addition when they don't even fill the stadium for every game?

why do you think so many teams play day games in freaking august and september but filling time slots as part of a television contract?

why do you think the pac plays those stupid late night games when very, very few are watching?

college football and basketball have been pro sports for a very long time in every aspect except paying the players and telling the truth.

Wexahu

twenty years ago you didn't have a single entity like disney who controlled the stake they do in college football

do you really think that majority of the decisions made concerning college football aren't driven by money?

why the heck did tcu start the east side addition when they don't even fill the stadium for every game?

why do you think so many teams play day games in freaking august and september but filling time slots as part of a television contract?

why do you think the pac plays those stupid late night games when very, very few are watching?

college football and basketball have been pro sports for a very long time in every aspect except paying the players and telling the truth.

People like you criticize the NCAA for being all about the money, and then try and tell them the things they do that aren’t all about the money are stupid. What do you want?

Sure, a lot of decisions in college sports are made with money in mind. But not all of them are.

Eight

People like you criticize the NCAA for being all about the money, and then try and tell them the things they do that aren’t all about the money are stupid. What do you want?

Sure, a lot of decisions in college sports are made with money in mind. But not all of them are.

if you truly don't see the duplicity in the world of college athletics i don't know what to tell you.