• The KillerFrogs

Conference Championship Weekend Thread

Mean Purple

As it turns out, maybe so. Just as the ACC game would have been meaningless had Virginia won.
fwiw, I watched the ACC game. holy [ Finebaum ], Clemson just gets better and better each week. Those rcvrs and running backs are amazing. The o line is a beast. And that defense looks just as brutal as last year. I knew Simmons and Muse were going to be lights out again, but Wallace has continued to grow to greatness. Size, speed.
And Trevor Lawrence is in robot mode again.

CountryFrog

fwiw, I watched the ACC game. holy [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ], Clemson just gets better and better each week. Those rcvrs and running backs are amazing. The o line is a beast. And that defense looks just as brutal as last year. I knew Simmons and Muse were going to be lights out again, but Wallace has continued to grow to greatness. Size, speed.
And Trevor Lawrence is in robot mode again.
Clemson is terrific. There's no doubt. BUT, the ACC is absolutely terrible this year. Take Clemson out of that conference and I'm not sure the other 13 teams are as good as the American conference. I seriously think TCU would've won 8 or 9 games if they were in the ACC.

Eight

Clemson is terrific. There's no doubt. BUT, the ACC is absolutely terrible this year. Take Clemson out of that conference and I'm not sure the other 13 teams are as good as the American conference. I seriously think TCU would've won 8 or 9 games if they were in the ACC.

clemson's two best wins were out of conference wins against texas arm and south carolina

Zubaz

1) LSU
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson
4) Oklahoma

Interestingly, I think this year is a good example of why NOT to expand the playoffs. Not only is there little drama surrounding who the Top 4 is, but IMO this is a good year of why we don't need playoff expansion. There's not a good argument why any of the 5-8 teams (some combination of Georgia, Florida, Oregon, Baylor, Alabama, Utah, whatever), should be included in the national title discussion.

Wexahu

1) LSU
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson
4) Oklahoma

Interestingly, I think this year is a good example of why NOT to expand the playoffs. Not only is there little drama surrounding who the Top 4 is, but IMO this is a good year of why we don't need playoff expansion. There's not a good argument why any of the 5-8 teams (some combination of Georgia, Florida, Oregon, Baylor, Alabama, Utah, whatever), should be included in the national title discussion.

Exactly. If you just consider conference championship games de facto quarterfinal games it all ends up being about the same anyway.

Eight

1) LSU
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson
4) Oklahoma

so if we are under the old system who do you leave out for the title game?

you punish clemson for their lack of strength in their conference and reward ohio state and lsu for the perceived strength of their conferences?

clemson played two sec teams in non-conference and won both those games easily.

this is why to me you have the play off and remove the "eye test" bull [ Finebaum ].

clemson has no control over the other teams in the acc and you would punish them when the conference has been [ Finebaum ] for multiple years now and clemson has proven they can compete with the best by going 5-2 in the cfp with an average margin of victory of 22 points over bama twice, ou, nd, and ohio state

no other college sport is decided by opinions of those not involved with the game as much as college football and to me it doesn't add [ Finebaum ] to the result

then again i am comfortable with the thought the bowls may die off and go to a system modeled after 1-aa

Last edited:

CountryFrog

1) LSU
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson
4) Oklahoma

Yes there will always be years where the top 4 is clear cut just as there will always be years like 2014 where more teams are deserving.

But the question of whether or not the current system is competitively effective at getting in the 4 best teams is a meaningless argument anyway. The BCS wasn't created out of a need for fairness and the current playoff wasn't either. We will absolutely have an 8 team playoff sooner or later because it makes financial sense to do so. The NFL doesn't have 12 teams in the playoffs because it's fair. MLB didn't add the one game wild card play in to make things more fair. They did it because it brings in extra revenue and that's why we will see the CFP continue to expand.

MTfrog5

Yes there will always be years where the top 4 is clear cut just as there will always be years like 2014 where more teams are deserving.

But the question of whether or not the current system is competitively effective at getting in the 4 best teams is a meaningless argument anyway. The BCS wasn't created out of a need for fairness and the current playoff wasn't either. We will absolutely have an 8 team playoff sooner or later because it makes financial sense to do so. The NFL doesn't have 12 teams in the playoffs because it's fair. MLB didn't add the one game wild card play in to make things more fair. They did it because it brings in extra revenue and that's why we will see the CFP continue to expand.
The biggest change to this system needs to be eliminating the runner up going to NY6 games. Zero reasons why Virginia should be playing in the Orange Bowl

CountryFrog

The biggest change to this system needs to be eliminating the runner up going to NY6 games. Zero reasons why Virginia should be playing in the Orange Bowl
That's just a result of conference bowl tie ins. You're never going to get that to go away unless the entire bowl system is scrapped. Which very well may happen some day if the playoff gets to 16 or more.

Eight

so which of the major bowl games is the biggest yawner?

orange bowl uva vs florida

sugar bowl georgia vs baylor

rose bowl oregon vs wisconsin

cotton bowl penn state vs memphis

rose bowl will draw the eyes of the big 10 vs pac traditionalist, but i can honestly say there isn't one game among that 4 i can see myself purposely sitting down to watch

Wexahu

so if we are under the old system who do you leave out for the title game?

you punish clemson for their lack of strength in their conference and reward ohio state and lsu for the perceived strength of their conferences?

clemson played two sec teams in non-conference and won both those games easily.

this is why to me you have the play off and remove the "eye test" bull [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ].

clemson has no control over the other teams in the acc and you would punish them when the conference has been [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] for multiple years now and clemson has proven they can compete with the best by going 5-2 in the cfp with an average margin of victory of 22 points over bama twice, ou, nd, and ohio state

no other college sport is decided by opinions of those not involved with the game as much as college football and to me it doesn't add [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] to the result

then again i am comfortable with the thought the bowls may die off and go to a system modeled after 1-aa

Personally I think modeling an FBS playoff after the I-aa system would be a terrible idea.

CountryFrog

so which of the major bowl games is the biggest yawner?

orange bowl uva vs florida

sugar bowl georgia vs baylor

rose bowl oregon vs wisconsin

cotton bowl penn state vs memphis

rose bowl will draw the eyes of the big 10 vs pac traditionalist, but i can honestly say there isn't one game among that 4 i can see myself purposely sitting down to watch
I'll watch the Cotton purely for curiosity of how Memphis will do. That's likely the only one I'll watch.

Eight

Personally I think modeling an FBS playoff after the I-aa system would be a terrible idea.

i know, i know, logistics and all.

my personal thought is i don't want people who are removed from the actual game deciding the championship and this year to me is an example of where you have 3 undefeated teams who have done everything they had to do and one would get left out based upon opinion

no other college sport or level of college football operates in this manner and have always found it [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]