• The KillerFrogs

Offseason Cord Cutting: YouTube TV or Hulu TV?

SuperTFrog

I am trying out HULU TV right now and it is great. Got to watch the Frogs last night when DirecTV didn’t work for the game. I am planning on cancelling DirecTV first of the year.

PO Frog

Yeah I’m not just sitting around on the couch binging Netflix on my phone or anything. But if I’m stuck at some social event or a restaurant or in the car when there is a game on, I can always just pull it up on my phone now without having to go login to the ESPN or FOX Sports GO app and have to worry about whether or not that will be working for whatever reason.

Or if I’m deer hunting now, I can watch whatever on my phone since we don’t have cable or satellite down there
How embarrassing

Frogo

YouTubeTV is great! Cut the cord in April 2017 after 21 years with DirecTV. I had sling then went to YouTubeTV in November 2017. I'll never go back to DirecTV or cable.

The YouTubeTV app is great! I watch a lot on my phone in meetings, riding in the car (not driving) ,etc.

The DVR is great! Unlimited! I can watch it on my phone, Xbox One, Samsung TV, Roku, etc.

For the $, I think YouTubeTV is a great service!

Double D reflects almost exactly my own experience. Additional comment about the DVR: it's virtually unlimited because YouTubeTV does it (not saved on a separate machine); ALSO I was told by a rep that stuff is stored for one year. So if you're wanting to archive something forever, it might be a problem. Recording is easy.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
not married?
I'm married but she likes the ID channel and watching stories about serial killers...

Should I be worried?

giphy.gif

Moose Stuff

So help an idiot out..... I have 2 somewhat older smart TVs that do not have the YouTubeTV app. I assume I don’t need to buy a new TV to get it so what exactly do I need to do? Or do I actually need a new TV?

ifrog

I have Sling TV, Netflix, Amazon (from my Prime subscription) and a HD leaf TV antenna to get all local HD channels. You need high speed internet to make it all work so don’t skimp on that. The only thing I miss is fox sportswest for the Mavs game

Ron Swanson

Again, I’m an idiot...... can I assume this is a fairly simple set up?
We bought couple Amazon Firesticks for about $40 each. They look kind of like a big thumb drive and plug directly into your HDMI port. Extremely simple to set up and a very solid user interface.

EDIT: Roku is basically the same thing. I have both and prefer the Firestick, but they’re both fine.

Moose Stuff

We bought couple Amazon Firesticks for about $40 each. They look kind of like a big thumb drive and plug directly into your HDMI port. Extremely simple to set up and a very solid user interface.

EDIT: Roku is basically the same thing. I have both and prefer the Firestick, but they’re both fine.

So obviously one of those for each TV we would use it on I assume?

flyfishingfrog

So one of those for each TV we would use it on I assume?
Yes

you plug it into the hdmi slot just like a cord and it powers of the port

it’s wireless so you connect it to WiFi

make sure you older tv has an open hdmi port And the it’s just another input source - like hdmi2

so simple even an old man Iike me can do it

I prefer Appletv but only because then I have exactly the same apps on my phone and tv instantly