• The KillerFrogs

Offseason Cord Cutting: YouTube TV or Hulu TV?

Yeah, Hallmark is the pivot point. Been with Vue over 3 years. The service has been crap for about a month before the announcement that it's going away. But for the most part, I've really enjoyed it. Hulu is probably what we'll do because my wife has to watch B list actresses move back to their hometown to take over the hardware store and hook up with their firsts.

jack the frog

Could not be happier with my Roku HDMI connection and YouTube TV. YouTube TV does not offer A&E so you lose First 48. Small sacrifice in terms of the savings versus cable.

Last edited:

Paint It Purple

Yeah, Hallmark is the pivot point. Been with Vue over 3 years. The service has been crap for about a month before the announcement that it's going away. But for the most part, I've really enjoyed it. Hulu is probably what we'll do because my wife has to watch B list actresses move back to their hometown to take over the hardware store and hook up with their firsts.
I laughed. So true.

I switched to Youtube 6 months ago, but of course had to keep the copper wire from the cable company for internet. I fear jinxing myself for admitting this, but the cable company has never come out to disconnect the cable tv. So, I've got it all, so to speak.

MTfrog5

I laughed. So true.

I switched to Youtube 6 months ago, but of course had to keep the copper wire from the cable company for internet. I fear jinxing myself for admitting this, but the cable company has never come out to disconnect the cable tv. So, I've got it all, so to speak.
We just did our free trial for YoutubeTV and loved it, but we are trying to figure out what to do regarding internet as well. Only have a couple options being in east Texas and it seems like it will be just as much to have cable and internet

jack the frog

My only complaint with YouTube TV is switching between channels. Seems to switch slowly for me and take anywhere from 5 seconds to 45 seconds to load the channel.

You may already be there and I am the last person on earth to listen to for things technology, but I thought I may have gained a tiny bit of YouTube load speed and picture quality improvement when I moved to the HDMI wired Roku biscuit from the Roku WiFi stick. It is a very small improvement, if even real. Surprised by the reliability of it all though.

Mean Purple

Do y'all really watch tv on your phones? That sounds horrid. I must be the oldest young guy (or youngest old dude) on this forum. I just don't get the whole "watching tv on the phone" thing.

I already run Kodi on a Raspberry Pi and use Exodus, that satisfies all of my movie and tv series addictions. It's "free", to boot.

I slightly miss my beeper. It's cool having a computer in my pocket, though.
Only watch it on the phone if I am away from my ltop. Like running in and out of a store or waiting to be seated at a table or even having it down below the table to view a game during a dinner, etc.
guess it would come in handy at a wedding, but folks know not to invite me to weddings during football season.

Ron Swanson

Only watch it on the phone if I am away from my ltop. Like running in and out of a store or waiting to be seated at a table or even having it down below the table to view a game during a dinner, etc.
guess it would come in handy at a wedding, but folks know not to invite me to weddings during football season.
Yeah I’m not just sitting around on the couch binging Netflix on my phone or anything. But if I’m stuck at some social event or a restaurant or in the car when there is a game on, I can always just pull it up on my phone now without having to go login to the ESPN or FOX Sports GO app and have to worry about whether or not that will be working for whatever reason.

Or if I’m deer hunting now, I can watch whatever on my phone since we don’t have cable or satellite down there

Mean Purple

Yeah I’m not just sitting around on the couch binging Netflix on my phone or anything. But if I’m stuck at some social event or a restaurant or in the car when there is a game on, I can always just pull it up on my phone now without having to go login to the ESPN or FOX Sports GO app and have to worry about whether or not that will be working for whatever reason.

Or if I’m deer hunting now, I can watch whatever on my phone since we don’t have cable or satellite down there
how has deer season been for you? I've been once and did not see a thing. then mys schedule went to crap.

jake102

Mine loads very fast. I’m guessing that has to do with your Internet speed

AT&T Fiber 300 mbps, router is next to the Roku. HDMI cord from Roku to TV. Sometimes it loads in three seconds, sometimes 45 seconds. DirectV/Uverse just hit the "last" button and half a second later the other channel is on.

I may be having issues because we have multiple people using the same account, and it's likely at least one other person is online at the same time. May have to do some fancy thinking.

Ron Swanson

AT&T Fiber 300 mbps, router is next to the Roku. HDMI cord from Roku to TV. Sometimes it loads in three seconds, sometimes 45 seconds. DirectV/Uverse just hit the "last" button and half a second later the other channel is on.

I may be having issues because we have multiple people using the same account, and it's likely at least one other person is online at the same time. May have to do some fancy thinking.
I have AT&T fiber as well and it works great for all of my streaming options. I have a Roku, I have a fire stick, I have a smart TV, and they all load 4K streaming video extremely fast. But for whatever reason, my wife’s iPhone, my work iPhone, and my personal iPhone take forever a lot of the time to refresh internet pages. I often have to disconnect from my WiFi on my phone and just use the cellular data so that I can post on KFC.

I don’t get it.... clearly I have fast internet, why does it not work well on my phone?

Purp

Same boat. Was a Vue customer, switched to YouTube, then agreed to switch back so my wife could get the Hallmark channel. Now Vue is going away. Gotta make a move again in January (due to aforementioned hallmark channel the forced change is welcome, tbh). Thanks to all for the comments on YouTube vs. Hulu.
One of the main reasons we haven't cut the cord yet is the Hallmark Channel requirement. I'd read in other threads on this subject that YouTube TV was the best option, but not having that channel led to an expensive impasse. We're going to cut the cord soon and I'm hoping we can get around that obstacle. I really prefer YouTube based on literally everything I've read.

Ron Swanson

One of the main reasons we haven't cut the cord yet is the Hallmark Channel requirement. I'd read in other threads on this subject that YouTube TV was the best option, but not having that channel led to an expensive impasse. We're going to cut the cord soon and I'm hoping we can get around that obstacle. I really prefer YouTube based on literally everything I've read.
Just download the Hallmark app and log-in with a friend or family member’s user name and password.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
I had no idea the Hallmark Channel was such a big deal.

source.mp4

Quick thanks to everyone who has replied with reviews and information. Looks like YouTube TV is a winner.

Atomic Frawg

My only complaint with YouTube TV is switching between channels. Seems to switch slowly for me and take anywhere from 5 seconds to 45 seconds to load the channel.
Mine loads very fast. I’m guessing that has to do with your Internet speed
I found out that a lot of it has to do with your TV and its onboard RAM. Myvolder smart tv wouldn't even download the YouTube TV app, and my smaller smart TV had the app, but would get slow sometimes. I'd have to unplug it to clear the memory and cookies, and it's would speed right back up. My newest TV flies through the interface.