• The KillerFrogs

Was 2014 CFP Snub Pivotal Long Term?

Wexahu

Again, OU would have FOUR ranked wins, as both Iowa State and Okie State are both ranked as well.

Meanwhile, they both lost to 8-4 teams by 7 on the road, so that's basically a wash.

I don't think it makes a hell of a lot of difference but Oklahoma State and Iowa State are no longer ranked. At least in the AP poll they aren't.

2014 was about money and the success of getting the playoffs going.

Unfortunately the 2014 playoffs it was the first one. Unfortunately it was played in DFW. So TCU if selected would eat at home, would not stay at hotels as they could come straight from the house. So the Arlington area would of gotten really no tourism/visitor money. Ohio State's fan base is at that time the largest in the nation. They all would stay in hotels and eat at the restaurants, and do some touring of the area before the game. They would buy from the local stores and spend big. It being in DFW TCU would not bring that. Another thing they wanted brand names in the first playoff. They had to make sure the new playoff era would have a big viewership. Brand name school get to be brand named schools by high TV/media viewership and attendance at games. TCU would get people to view to cheer the Cinderella team but it's not even close to the viewership of these traditional large public brand name schools. And attendance well it's all about numbers and TCU is a small private school not yet up to Notre Dame level of fandom because they have generational fans (TCU is working on that). Money is the driving force and was the driving force in 2014 plain and simple.

Wexahu

If Utah wins the committee will put the team they feel is the best at #4, whether that be Utah, OU or (gag) Baylor. Best win/best loss/resume is all a bunch of window dressing.

There’s also the interesting scenario of Georgia winning the SEC champ game, which almost guarantees the PAC and Big 12 are left out

Overall I hope Utah gets in. [Baylor asshoe] and I don’t mind OU getting screwed

I think them having Utah at #5 ahead of OU right now kind of gives an idea of what they are thinking. And I doubt they believe when all things are considered that, regardless of the "ranking" right now, that Baylor is a significantly better team than Oregon, or even a better team at all. So if Utah wins, I can't see them being jumped. Again, unless there are odd circumstances like Utah kind of struggles and OU dominates.

jake102

Again, unless there are odd circumstances like Utah kind of struggles and OU dominates.

I think OU and Utah are on similar grounds and the way in which they play in the CCG will dictate.

I do wonder how stats will come into play. OU is #1 offense, #42 defense. Utah is the #9 offense and #4 defense.

zfrawg

I think them having Utah at #5 ahead of OU right now kind of gives an idea of what they are thinking. And I doubt they believe when all things are considered that, regardless of the "ranking" right now, that Baylor is a significantly better team than Oregon, or even a better team at all. So if Utah wins, I can't see them being jumped. Again, unless there are odd circumstances like Utah kind of struggles and OU dominates.

Because they wouldn't ever feel the need to drop someone say 3 spots (3 to 6 for instance) after a dominant win in the final week. They'll do whatever they want to and that's the only thing we know. The rankings right now mean jack squat unless they decide that it does next Sunday. At which point, they'll tell us Utah being ahead in the polls was important or it wasn't.

Wexahu

Because they wouldn't ever feel the need to drop someone say 3 spots (3 to 6 for instance) after a dominant win in the final week. They'll do whatever they want to and that's the only thing we know. The rankings right now mean jack squat unless they decide that it does next Sunday. At which point, they'll tell us Utah being ahead in the polls was important or it wasn't.

Oh jeez. A 59 point win over a ranked team that had lost two games by a total of 10 points is a needle mover, whether you want to stick your hand in the sand or not. We were dominant over a team that been dominated all year long. Not to mention the committee making the point before that weekend that there was very little difference between the #3 and #6 teams at that time. They gotta rank them somewhere. Would you feel any better had they just had four teams ranked T3rd going into that week?

zfrawg

Oh jeez. A 59 point win over a ranked team that had lost two games by a total of 10 points is a needle mover, whether you want to stick your hand in the sand or not. We were dominant over a team that been dominated all year long. Not to mention the committee making the point before that weekend that there was very little difference between the #3 and #6 teams at that time. They gotta rank them somewhere. Would you feel any better had they just had four teams ranked T3rd going into that week?

yes... but 4th would have made more sense behind FSU who they bumped to 3. that doesn't matter in this case. you suggested they wouldn't bump OU above UU because they are ahead this week. yes, you mentioned something strange happening, but I'm simply implying that UU being 5th doesn't mean anything right now and how they play has little bearing on anything. the only thing that matters is how the committee, bless their hearts, decides to handle things next week. obviously in '14 they thought we were number 3 - better than FSU - at this point and despite another dominant game, we ended up at 6. just saying nothing matters in terms of their current ranking. I hope you're right and UU gets in, but the committee can adapt their criteria to fit whatever decision they make.

Wexahu

yes... but 4th would have made more sense behind FSU who they bumped to 3. that doesn't matter in this case. you suggested they wouldn't bump OU above UU because they are ahead this week. yes, you mentioned something strange happening, but I'm simply implying that UU being 5th doesn't mean anything right now and how they play has little bearing on anything. the only thing that matters is how the committee, bless their hearts, decides to handle things next week. obviously in '14 they thought we were number 3 - better than FSU - at this point and despite another dominant game, we ended up at 6. just saying nothing matters in terms of their current ranking. I hope you're right and UU gets in, but the committee can adapt their criteria to fit whatever decision they make.

I think the fact that they are playing a 10-2 Oregon team instead of some conference cellar dweller absolutely makes a difference. If Utah was playing a 4-8 Arizona team and was ranked #5 and OU was playing Baylor and was ranked #6, and both teams won, I would say Oklahoma would jump them.

You say the committee is going to do whatever they want to do. Well, if that's the case, you tell me what they want to do right now and let's see if they do it. The problem is that you wait until after they make their decision and then say that's what they wanted to do just because they felt like it, which is just sour grapes. They don't have an easy job but they are trying to be as objective as they can, it'd make things a hell of a lot easier to understand if people could just accept that fact.

Mean Purple

According to some, our recruiting has increased. So it is hard to say. Had we had the 13th data point that year, we would have had the better shot, as evidenced by OU.
If UTAH takes care of business, they are likely in.

Mean Purple

I think the fact that they are playing a 10-2 Oregon team instead of some conference cellar dweller absolutely makes a difference. If Utah was playing a 4-8 Arizona team and was ranked #5 and OU was playing Baylor and was ranked #6, and both teams won, I would say Oklahoma would jump them.

You say the committee is going to do whatever they want to do. Well, if that's the case, you tell me what they want to do right now and let's see if they do it. The problem is that you wait until after they make their decision and then say that's what they wanted to do just because they felt like it, which is just sour grapes. They don't have an easy job but they are trying to be as objective as they can, it'd make things a hell of a lot easier to understand if people could just accept that fact.
For UTAH to win and get jumped, they will have to play a real sloppy game and OU will have to boat race bu.

CountryFrog

I don't think missing the playoff by itself had much of an impact BUT if we had hypothetically won the national title in 2014 then that could've had a HUGE impact on the program. We were absolutely capable of winning it all, but who knows what would've actually happened.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yes. It was pivotal in the sense that the snub cemented the idea that the Playoff was only going to be available to the Blue Blood Programs, and nobody else. The Playoff is a ratings/money game, and nothing else. They will put in the teams they feel will maximize their ratings, among the few that reach the level of consideration.

They didn't pick us because we aren't THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY, a relentlessly pimped Blue Blood Program. All of that "eye test" "most deserving" "best available" and other ESPNspeak twaddle is just that: Ohio State was picked because they are Ohio State. They have nationwide name recognition, and would (in theory) pull in more casual viewers than an unknown small school from Dallas.*

The impact falls mainly in the recruiting sphere, IMHO. I would imagine that kids hear "You'll never get a shot if you go there. They'll never let them in." Whereas, if they sign with UT, tOSU, OU, LSU, (insert Blue Blood Program name HERE)... I would also think that the continuing bashing of the BIGXII as a whole by the ESPN conglomerate affects recruiting, in that SEC and B1G have the perception of better Playoff chances.

*That's sarcasm. Duh.

Zubaz

I hope Utah doesn't make the mistake of beating their opponent 55-3. We know that will cause a team to drop a few spots.
2019 Oregon > 2014 Iowa State.
I feel like people forget just how putrid Iowa State was that year. Their badness was a drain on our schedule regardless of how bad we beat them. We took care of business, but literally everyone else we were being compared to played a ranked team and won handily. Of course that was going to give them the advantage.

Similar situation happened in 2010, where even though we were ahead of Boise, we absolutely were going to get jumped simply because we played New Mexico, one of the worst teams in football. We could have beaten them 100-0 and it wouldn't have mattered, just playing them was a drag on our SOS that would have cost us. That's when Kap came in and saved the day.

Zubaz

Yes. It was pivotal in the sense that the snub cemented the idea that the Playoff was only going to be available to the Blue Blood Programs, and nobody else. The Playoff is a ratings/money game, and nothing else. They will put in the teams they feel will maximize their ratings, among the few that reach the level of consideration.
That's why Oklahoma got left out but they selected that noted blue blood of *checks notes* ....Washington in 2016?

That's why Ohio State got left out in favor of blue blood...Michigan State in 2015?

That's why everyone agrees Alabama is out of the running this year but blue blood Utah is still in it?

That's why through the last 5 years, Clemson has had pretty much Undisputed runs in to the playoffs while the above-mentioned teams got snubbed?

Goodness.

WhatTheFrog

Bruh, TCU would've SMOKED any playoff team in 2014. That's a fact, whether you like it for AOSU or not.

Wexahu

They didn't pick us because we aren't THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY, a relentlessly pimped Blue Blood Program. All of that "eye test" "most deserving" "best available" and other ESPNspeak twaddle is just that: Ohio State was picked because they are Ohio State.

And yet somehow that relentlessly pimped Blue Blood Program has been denied a spot in the CFP on THREE separate occasions now with 11-1, 11-2 (conference champ) and 12-1 (conference champ) seasons.

As is par for the course, lots of heads in sand and ignoring of facts in this thread.

McGregor's Goat

The playoff snub didn't hurt us. We're struggling right now primarily because we have a bad offensive coaching staff and GP stubbornly refuses to make any changes. And we had like three consecutive QB signees who were supposed to be "the future" who were busts (for various reasons).

If we had made the playoff and lost it probably wouldn't have mattered either way (recall that Michigan State and Washington both have made the playoff). If we had won it would have probably had a large positive effect going forward (though obviously winning the playoff is the ultimate goal, so whether it impacts the future is almost beside the point).