• The KillerFrogs

Reagor going Pro.

TooColdU

Figured he was going to leave. I really hope finds his place in the pros, for his and TCU’s sake.

At the moment, Dalton is the only offensive skill position player we have on a NFL roster.

Best of luck, JR.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
I don’t understand how a kid can spend 3-4 years in college supposedly working and training every day, and by the time they are done they don’t really know how to run pass routes well, or are “clueless” about it. Even if the offense doesn’t really “require” it, wouldn’t it still be helpful? And what else are they doing with their time? What are the WR coaches teaching them? Nothing?

And I’m not just talking about TCU. It’s prevalent throughout college football, receivers who don’t really have a clue about technical route running entering the draft.

You could say that about a lot of students in every discipline. I knew a lot of musicians that were very talented but never wanted to deep dive into music theory or put in the time to focus on their sight reading skills (a necessary skill for studio musicians) because they thought their raw talent was enough to win auditions.

Wexahu

You could say that about a lot of students in every discipline. I knew a lot of musicians that were very talented but never wanted to deep dive into music theory or put in the time to focus on their sight reading skills (a necessary skill for studio musicians) because they thought their raw talent was enough to win auditions.

Ok, but it's not about players "wanting" to or not. How about coaches demanding it of their players? Do they just not know how to do it? Or not think it's important? If I were a college WR coach and I had a kid in my program for 4 years and at the end of that time an NFL scout had determined that my player "had no clue how to run a route" I'd be embarrassed as hell.

TxFrog1999

Ok, but it's not about players "wanting" to or not. How about coaches demanding it of their players? Do they just not know how to do it? Or not think it's important? If I were a college WR coach and I had a kid in my program for 4 years and at the end of that time an NFL scout had determined that my player "had no clue how to run a route" I'd be embarrassed as hell.
So would I, but with a player like Reagor do you bench him because he isn’t putting in the time or play him and hope for the best on Saturday because your other options aren’t as talented? I have a feeling that if Reagor’s dad wasn’t a part of the equation he might have seen the bench more often. I can’t explain why else Patterson would tolerate a WR with 6 fumbles and poor route running getting so much playing time given how players like Hunt, Lynn, and Stephens were in the dog house following minor on field mental lapses.

Wexahu

So would I, but with a player like Reagor do you bench him because he isn’t putting in the time or play him and hope for the best on Saturday because your other options aren’t as talented? I have a feeling that if Reagor’s dad wasn’t a part of the equation he might have seen the bench more often. I can’t explain why else Patterson would tolerate a WR with 6 fumbles and poor route running getting so much playing time given how players like Hunt, Lynn, and Stephens were in the dog house following minor on field mental lapses.

I'd explain to him the expectations and the importance of mastering the art of route running and how that is his ticket to the NFL, and I'd probably bring in an NFL guy to talk to the guys and confirm what I was talking about. And then if my player still didn't want to put in the effort to improve that part of his game, I'd probably bench him.

Billy Clyde

I'd explain to him the expectations and the importance of mastering the art of route running and how that is his ticket to the NFL, and I'd probably bring in an NFL guy to talk to the guys and confirm what I was talking about. And then if my player still didn't want to put in the effort to improve that part of his game, I'd probably bench him.

This is the dilemma TCU faces because we don't stack up 5-star recruits at every position like some can. . . Saban can take guys with marginal work ethic coming out of HS and sincerely tell them nobody gives a [ Finebaum ] about your stars, you put in the work or ride the pine.
Several years ago there was a DL from Arlington Heights who was super-talented and had a rep for being super-lazy. The predictions were he'd go to UT (Mack Brown) and wind up worthless. Instead he went to Bama and became A-A, and IIRC, a 1st-round pick.

TxFrog1999

This is the dilemma TCU faces because we don't stack up 5-star recruits at every position like some can. . . Saban can take guys with marginal work ethic coming out of HS and sincerely tell them nobody gives a [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] about your stars, you put in the work or ride the pine.
Several years ago there was a DL from Arlington Heights who was super-talented and had a rep for being super-lazy. The predictions were he'd go to UT (Mack Brown) and wind up worthless. Instead he went to Bama and became A-A, and IIRC, a 1st-round pick.

Good point. However, I would hope that with Patterson's track record of taking 2 and 3 star recruits and making them into NFL players he'd be more willing to chew out a few players for lack of effort no matter the number of stars on their HS resume. He certainly doesn't have an issue yelling at Cumbie, but then again he was a walk-on... :D

Eight

I think it is a combination of coaching and our offense not requiring crisp route running. Probably one of the reason Doctson struggled so much, remember it was one of his weaknesses coming out.

if you read multiples of the early draft previews of jalen there are four consistent negatives:

1) lack of physicality
2) drops
3) lack of route running skills

and
4) the very, very basic route tree he was asked to run at tcu

agree with flyfishing that in high school he rarely if ever faced a corner who had the speed or skill to stay in a back peddle so you either had corners line up 10-yards off or tried to press at the line and jalen ran past him

as for what happened at practice and in games that impacted his production i think the answer is his fault, the position coaches, the offense, and max on some of the throws. weight the variables whatever you wish, but i think we can all agree this isn't just on the player and it isn't just on the staff

H0RNEDFR0G

I think you're trying to equate "targets" with "balls that Reagor could have come down with". That's not the case. Surely you aren't suggesting that he had 8 drops against Baylor and 6 drops against OU? Or 50 drops on the season? A lot of his "targets" were balls that he had no chance at. Some drops, yes, but not most.

What did I want us to do differently? Figure out a better way for our QB to get the ball to him. We didn't do that.

What I'm saying is good receivers get open and catch the ball.

This year:
  • CeeDee had 50 receptions on 73 targets 68%
  • Ruggs III 38/53 71.6%
  • Tee Higgins 43/63 68%

First rounders in 2018:
  • DJ Moore 77/143, 54%
  • Calvin Ridley 61/107 57%

First rounders in 2017:
  • Corey Davis 80/122 65.5%
  • Mike Williams 82/121 67.7%
  • John Ross 69/11 62%
Notice, there were no first rounders that were sub 50% receptions/targets. Reagor is not much more than a strong Kolby Listenbee.

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

you mean like an outside receivers coach that played in the NFL?????

Eight

you mean like an outside receivers coach that played in the NFL?????

curious in practice how malcolm engages with the receivers and his interaction with anderson.

not a knock or a concern, but merely a curiosity as he was coached by a solid staff at ou, played the 3 years in the nfl, but hasn't had much experience coaching outside of being a ga at uh for the most part.

some are natural teachers, others have to find their voice, i have heard positive things from the people who have met him and i would like to think he can help with developing the position.

TRF51

if any of the players you listed had 1/2 his talent or were half the player he is I could understand your logic. Reagor was by far our biggest play maker, especially since #4 was out early. Those other players have done next to nothing at this level. Next year when we don’t have Reagor let’s see what they can do. Even if he didn’t get the ball the defense had to play a certain way towards him.

Willintx

Well crap. I hate to Reagor leave. Without him, well probably go 2-10 next season and not make a bowl for the 2nd straight year

Limp Lizard

According to this guy at ESPN, poor coaching was the primary culprit.

6. Jalen Reagor, TCU

2019 stats: 89 targets, 43 receptions, 611 yards (141 YAC), 5 touchdowns, 5 broken tackles, 71.0 passer rating

2019 PFF grade: 69.1 overall, 66.9 receiving grade

No receiver in the country has suffered more from his situation the past couple of seasons than Reagor. It's not simply the shoddy quarterback play at TCU but also the offense around him. Defenses knew where Reagor was lining up snap after snap, as 653 of his 786 snaps last season came at right outside wide receiver. From there, TCU coaches made no effort to get the ball into their most dynamic playmaker's hands; Reagor was targeted on only 11 screens. In fact, 162 players in college football have seen more screen targets this year than Reagor. For a receiver who will almost surely run in the 4.3s and have a vertical jump around 40 inches, that's difficult to believe.

Reagor is yet another prospect who will have to let his 2018 tape do the talking. That season, he brought in 71 balls for 1,040 yards and nine scores. Even with one of the lowest-graded quarterbacks in the country, he put up legit numbers as a true sophomore. He didn't help himself this season with seven drops, but he has played bigger than his listed 5-foot-11, 195 pounds with 27 contested catches in his career.

Where he could be picked in the 2020 draft: Reagor's lack of production in 2019 could drop him into the second round. That'd be a steal for the team that gets him at that point.

tcudoc

I always think of Reagor as similar to Jeremy Kerley. I thought Jeremy would light it up in the NFL and he didn't stick around nearly as long as I thought he would. He was quick, elusive, and sure handed, and seemed to be a committed hard worker. On those four qualities, I think Jeremy had JR beat and he struggled to stick in the NFL. It will be interesting to see what happens, but I am not going to bet the house on it. He has a mentor in his father who had a long career, so maybe he can get it done. I hope he does and I wish him the best. It is just so hard to catch the needed break.

TooColdU

Alabama’s leading WR this season. This certainly helps Reagor. Smith was projected to be a low 1st / high 2nd rounder.

MTfrog5

I always think of Reagor as similar to Jeremy Kerley. I thought Jeremy would light it up in the NFL and he didn't stick around nearly as long as I thought he would. He was quick, elusive, and sure handed, and seemed to be a committed hard worker. On those four qualities, I think Jeremy had JR beat and he struggled to stick in the NFL. It will be interesting to see what happens, but I am not going to bet the house on it. He has a mentor in his father who had a long career, so maybe he can get it done. I hope he does and I wish him the best. It is just so hard to catch the needed break.
Kerley also was the best QB option on some of those Jets teams

DubaiFrog

While Jeremy didn't exactly light it up in the NFL, he did have an 8 year career and made over $11MM playing football.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/jeremy-kerley-8367/cash-earnings/