• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football is in no rush to make staff changes, despite disappointing 5-7 season

4th. down

I predict this will happen: Offer SC a demotion to QB coach with appropriate loss of $$$, or he can leave.

We need to make an OC hire soon, or the choices may get slim.

Realistically, yes, but it ain't going to happen, not under GP's watch. Tweak this and tweak that and no more. Everything will be the same except Max will have more experience and the secondary should be very good but we are really not concerned with the defense. You better score in the Big 12, and I mean a lot.

Tumbleweed

Results from meeting with coaches:

Lesson no.1 -- this will show you that I'm running this program and KillerFrogs, etc- is a loud bunch of armchair qb's, but I do appreciate and need their support at the gate.
Lesson no.2 -- I may not agree with the fan base to replace anybody. I don't like-job confrontations and try to ignore them!
Lesson no.3 - When I'm (that's I'm) ready to retire I'll let you know but it won't anytime soon.
Lesson no.4 - So .. let Tx fire three or four coaches. Tom Herman says at the urging of the fan base, we can get ready for recruiting and overall coaching improvement. GP: TCU recruiting staff hv made some mistakes but it's ok.
Lesson no.5 - I'm satisfied with the direction of the program. Yes we lost some but we were in it till the end. (the difference between hand grenades and softballs)
Lesson no.6 - I'm a stubborn procastator and don't like anybody meddlin. When you contribute several million I'll listen to you.
Lesson no.7 - You owe me for years of hard work and dedication.

GP: What concerns me though, in the last three to four years the alumni and fan base are becoming vocal and I don't understand why. However, the alumni and fan base have contributed a lot money on a new stadium addition, new playing surface and facilities.
You'll hear from me in the neighborhood newspaper in August

flyfishingfrog

OK, let's keep doing what we are doing - '16, 4 conf. wins, '17, 7 conf. wins, '18, 4 conf. wins, '19, 3 conf. wins. Gotcha.
i was directly referring to your insinuation that GP has not ever gotten external perspectives or sought help from other successful coaches because his "ego"

Since it is obvious you don't actually follow football except when it gives you a chance to complain - it must have gone over your head.

But a few names that GP has directly met with or actually paid to be a consultant in the last 3-4 years that you might have heard of include Dykes, Saban, Brown, Whittingham, Neuheisel...plus he added Bama, tOSU and USC staff to his football camps a few years ago, spent time on several AFCA boards with current and past College football legends....

But yeah - he isn't interested in outside opinions and no one in the industry actually has an interest in getting his either...DA

4th. down

i was directly referring to your insinuation that GP has not ever gotten external perspectives or sought help from other successful coaches because his "ego"

Since it is obvious you don't actually follow football except when it gives you a chance to complain - it must have gone over your head.

But a few names that GP has directly met with or actually paid to be a consultant in the last 3-4 years that you might have heard of include Dykes, Saban, Brown, Whittingham, Neuheisel...plus he added Bama, tOSU and USC staff to his football camps a few years ago, spent time on several AFCA boards with current and past College football legends....

But yeah - he isn't interested in outside opinions and no one in the industry actually has an interest in getting his either...DA

Well, thanks for the education and correction. Can you share or would you share with some feedback from GP on what these various meetings produced?

CountryFrog

OK, who would you select if you decided to do this and do you think it's even warranted? Or, you think everything is ok like it is?
I'd select someone I trust to give honest and knowledgeable opinions with no ulterior motives. I have no idea who that is for Gary but it doesn't have to be some big name who we've all heard of. You don't have to be some hugely successful coach to know who good assistant coaches are.

flyfishingfrog

Well, thanks for the education and correction. Can you share or would you share with some feedback from GP on what these various meetings produced?
I am sure he has openings on his staff if you are interested - you have such as strong and valuable opinion on what he has been doing wrong for the last 20 years and why it won't work anymore...

For example, the towel girl is graduating....

if you really care - most everything I mentioned has had some press about it - and I assume you know the outcome of Sonny Dykes time with our staff since it was the year we played in the CCG...

4th. down

I am sure he has openings on his staff if you are interested - you have such as strong and valuable opinion on what he has been doing wrong for the last 20 years and why it won't work anymore...

For example, the towel girl is graduating....

if you really care - most everything I mentioned has had some press about it - and I assume you know the outcome of Sonny Dykes time with our staff since it was the year we played in the CCG...

Well, honestly, I never played on the offensive side, only corner. That's why I would, and probably others also, if you would elaborate a little more specifically your experience as a former CO as to what our real problem is offensively.

Bruce Berry

and then fired his staff and not himself....but didn't announce a single replacement - so he solved absolutely NOTHING.

Glad you were impressed him display of his manhood for all to see - "look at me, I am the man in charge - look how big it is"

Herman is the ultimate little man syndrome coach

How do you fire yourself?

Also, my guess is he ultimately finds good replacements and that you eventually have a nervous breakdown.

netty2424

GMFP dealt with that style of management in his hungry years. I believe he made a vow to himself to never treat other coaches with such contempt. It is that style of cruel and cold dismissal that many are clamoring for, now that the Goat Horns are firmly welded to Sonny's noggin. He's the Scapegoat, and everybody wants to see him roasting on a spit.

A few days of calm reflection and intelligent discussion is the wisest course of action. Having Sonny's crap piled up on the curb outside the Athletic Department early Friday evening was probably the choice of most, but, while satisfying, it only solves one issue.

Sober evaluation and rational analysis are rarities in these sad times. I am glad that GMFP still has the capacity to look at things in such a way BEFORE picking up the meat axe...
Have you seen him dress down players and coaches, Cumbie included, on the sidelines?

I’m completely on board with GP, but calm cool and collected is not exactly his bag. Is what it is.

flyfishingfrog

How do you fire yourself?

Also, my guess is he ultimately finds good replacements and that you eventually have a nervous breakdown.
yeah - because UT has been so good at this for the past 15 years....and he did such a good job the first time which was what - 3 years ago?

I don't think Herman could turn UT around if the ghosts of John Gagliardi, Eddie Robinson and Bear Bryant came back to help him

He will panic - put together a staff that can't handle the prima donnas at UT again and then ultimately get fired by a AD that is pure PR and because of the big cigars that have zero appreciation for anything but banners.

He would be gone now if the one Cigar that was never happy with anyone had not died last year...

Frog-in-law1995

well there you go - I so hope we act just like Jimbo and A&M did in their process...

I guess I should have prefaced my question by saying name the last non-POS for a human being...

Matt Rhule, Matt Wells, and Bronco Mendenhall all seem to be good guys.

Admittedly, it’s very different for an assistant coach to move so quickly.