• The KillerFrogs

Frogs are so lucky to have Patterson!

flyfishingfrog

We owe Gary a ton. As far as I am concerned, he can stay as long as he wants to. He has brought us a Rose Bowl, a Peach Bowl, multiple top 10 finishes and so much more. Heck, we beat Texas this year! Those of you who want to get rid of Gary obviously did not live through the 70's or the 80's. Now that was misery.
That said, I personally don't think Duggan is the answer. His arm is not strong enough or accurate enough. I also don't think Cumbie is the answer either. Plus, we need to flush our entire offensive line and start over. They are terrible.
I also wish Gary would hire a defensive coordinator. Gary's defense seems to be too complicated for the guys we have now. Maybe it is just a lack of intelligence, but many times they are looking at Gary when the ball is snapped. Gary really needs to have some input on the offense. With his knowledge of defense, seems to me he could pick a defense apart with the right play calling.
So the defense being to complicated for our team is a real idea

I think the biggest thing about losing Bumpas was that Bumpas had the same brain as Gary and would think “for” our d-line instead of expecting them to evaluate the formation and make adjustments on their own

so now GP is having to call the LB formation and then call the D-line if they are not seeing the formation correctly - which leaves no time for small adjustments in our LB and DB based on movement

we see the breakdown on the wheel route most often because it’s so obvious - we have a LB or DB assigned to cover the RB if they leave the backfield on every play but both “players” have to see the same thing or no one will cover him

Js96

Gundy has now lost how many times in a row to OU? He has also had two 7-6 seasons in the last decade. Rhule and Riley will be in the NFL next year. Klieman has been at KSU one year and could leave soon, too. Campbell is 7-5 this year and is one of the hottest coaches on the market.

Coaching in the Big 12 will leave some bruises on a coach's resume, especially if you stick around for a while.

GP has had some great years and some bust years as well. If he hires a new OC, then we will be back quicker than a lot of people would predict. And I bet there will be some changes on the offensive side of the ball before next season.

Like I said before, some of you have lost faith in GP. I am not there yet.
This post is spot on, we would never have made it too the Big 12 with Gary Patterson. There is going to be ups and downs. No team in a power 5 conference has double digit wins every year, unless your Alabama or Oklahoma. It’s tough to win in these conferences. There are too many people on this board that are use to the win totals in the MWC, that will not happen in the Big 12. The offense needs a new coordinator for sure, I still believe GP is doing a great job with the defense. Look at the numbers, we are at the top of the B12. The defense kept us in most games, with a horrible offense.

frog-hat

Three times. But whatever. We didn’t have third best talent in 2012 and 2013. Maybe 7th or eighth in those years, especially accounting for all the injuries in 2013. You forgot already that GP said we weren’t ready - talent wise - when we joined in 2012. We’ve had third best talent only the last three years. So yes, we’ve underperformed two of the last three years.

So what’s your solution since you are convinced our coaching staff is not up to the task? Or do you just want to [ hundin] and moan all day about how bad we are?

No. I’m simply saying that the implied absolute GP authority and inability to question on the part of the TCU stakeholders is not appropriate given the results.

I also say that GP has earned every penny he’s been paid and we wouldn’t be in the Big XII or have the facilities we have without him. That doesn’t give him a lifetime pass from accountability.

His rolling 4 year total of Conference wins is 21,21,26,22,18. Thats a bad trend.

Last edited:

frog-hat

And contrary to your talent comment, TCU has had more NFl draft picks over its Big XII time period than anyone but Oklahoma.

EDIT: not right. West Virginia has more also.

Last edited:

don

That said, I personally don't think Duggan is the answer. His arm is not strong enough.

I keep seeing this posted since Friday. When I attended practice I thought Duggan threw the ball with the most zip vs his competitors when they were all throwing together and you could compare. He overthrew WRs deep early in season. I think his finger has bothered him the past few weeks. What throws is he lacking arm strength on?

froginmn

Based on what I’ve seen the last few years I’m not sure Mike Gundy, Matt Campbell, Matt Rhule, Lincoln Riley and Chris Klieman aren’t better coaches in the year 2019 than GP is. And that’s just in our conference.
So which of those five coaches would you trade Patterson's results with? Can't count Riley because that's OU.

Maybe Rhule but just a maybe. Hard to tell what he will accomplish.

Wexahu

So which of those five coaches would you trade Patterson's results with? Can't count Riley because that's OU.

Maybe Rhule but just a maybe. Hard to tell what he will accomplish.

Trade results with over a career or trade right now going forward?

Wexahu

Trade results so far in their careers.

Patterson. But that doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that I think those others have done a better job over the past few years and might be better coaches right now. Tom Landry was a great coach too but because he didn’t evolve by the late 80’s it was time for him to hang it up.

froginmn

thats not the right question
K. I'm just pointing out that he named five coaches, and three have done basically nothing in the Big 12 in the last few years.

Gundy has brought them to one BCS bowl, in 2011.

Campbell's high water mark is 8-5 and he may do that 3x in a row.

Klieman is 8-4 in just one year.

If Patterson had any one of those resumes the bitching would be the same or worse.

I'm a long way from trading for any one of those. Some are trying to say that the game has passed GP by, but he was in the CCG in 2017 and he has had a QB nightmare in the two years since. I think we might want to wait to declare he is finished.

The "what have you done for me lately" crowd is embarrassing.

Wexahu

K. I'm just pointing out that he named five coaches, and three have done basically nothing in the Big 12 in the last few years.

Gundy has brought them to one BCS bowl, in 2011.

Campbell's high water mark is 8-5 and he may do that 3x in a row.

Klieman is 8-4 in just one year.

If Patterson had any one of those resumes the bitching would be the same or worse.

I'm a long way from trading for any one of those. Some are trying to say that the game has passed GP by, but he was in the CCG in 2017 and he has had a QB nightmare in the two years since. I think we might want to wait to declare he is finished.

The "what have you done for me lately" crowd is embarrassing.

I’m not saying he needs to go. I’m saying he needs to do a better job because he’s been getting outcoached too often IMO. The fact that he won a bunch of games and the Rose Bowl 9 years ago is not helping right now. 5 of 8 seasons now in the Big 12 that have been very underwhelming, including the last two.

The “he should be able to stay here as long as he wants” crowd is more embarrassing IMO.

flyfishingfrog

All the coaches listed above have more upside moving forward than CGP. You can appreciate what CGP has done for TCU and recognize the game has seemingly passed him by.
Really?

other than Rhule this year not one of those coaches has had their team in B12 championship game yet the guy that isn’t as good as anyone of them has

so I guess you guys all like 8-4 as a ceiling as long as you can get it every year instead a shot at the title at least once in a while

flyfishingfrog

What about the past 2 seasons makes you think the future is bright for TCU Football or the coaches listed above don’t have more upside than CGP?
What about any of those guys history that makes you think they are better?

they literally have won jack [ Finebaum ] between all of them in their career at a P5 level - not even a single B12 championship appearance other then Rhule this year

And If you want to give Rhule that much credit for 1 year in a row that you would trade 20 years for his 1 - you should probably seriously consider becoming a Baylor fan