• The KillerFrogs

What’s the future of our worst group - OL

I’m too lazy to go back and find all the loving posts re Thomsen but they are there. TCU led the league with the fewest sacks in ‘17 and ‘18. It’s astonishing how good a coach can be when his players are good. TCU was better than everyone but OU two years ago.

I’m on record as saying SC and Gary need a divorce but I don’t think the offensive staff is incompetent top to bottom. Now if some hotshot OC comes in and wants his own group, fine but I don’t see GP letting that happen.

Eight

I hope McMillon can put on a little weight and muscle. I think he has potential to be a really good interior player but he's playing 25 pound lighter than he needs to be. It really shows up in the B12 where you play all these 3 man fronts with huge heavy NGs like Roy, Lima, and Coburn are tough on him.

coy reminds me a great deal of joey hunt in what he brings to the center position.

coy was a tight end in high school who abilene high used as the tip of the spear in their run blocking and i have a friend who still raves about coy from watching the game tape of the desoto vs abilene high state quarterfinal game where abilene just killed desoto with their run game

he has struggled with bigger, more physical interior defensive linemen which isn't a shock because he is still young and needs to get bigger and stronger. his feet might be the best of the frogs linemen and he understand blocking angles and positioning better than any of the starters

thomsen was the offensive line coach in 2017 when the frogs had a very effective offensive line. they used a different scheme running more pulling and power which i would love seeing return to the offense.

the biggest thing to help this line would be an identity and there is nothing wrong with being a run based offense. key is being well drawn, well taught, well executed, and your talent in the line fits the scheme.

scheiss, i don't want chad morris as an analyst, i want someone who can look at the squad in the spring, go sit down with ct and sonny and come up with something that you can build from in the passing game

as far as talent on paper there is talent, time to see it emerge pretty damn quickly

Froggish

coy reminds me a great deal of joey hunt in what he brings to the center position.

coy was a tight end in high school who abilene high used as the tip of the spear in their run blocking and i have a friend who still raves about coy from watching the game tape of the desoto vs abilene high state quarterfinal game where abilene just killed desoto with their run game

he has struggled with bigger, more physical interior defensive linemen which isn't a shock because he is still young and needs to get bigger and stronger. his feet might be the best of the frogs linemen and he understand blocking angles and positioning better than any of the starters

thomsen was the offensive line coach in 2017 when the frogs had a very effective offensive line. they used a different scheme running more pulling and power which i would love seeing return to the offense.

the biggest thing to help this line would be an identity and there is nothing wrong with being a run based offense. key is being well drawn, well taught, well executed, and your talent in the line fits the scheme.

scheiss, i don't want chad morris as an analyst, i want someone who can look at the squad in the spring, go sit down with ct and sonny and come up with something that you can build from in the passing game

as far as talent on paper there is talent, time to see it emerge pretty damn quickly

Good points

I just think we need to ditch the zone blocking concepts. Its like SC wants to run the spread because GP likes it but he just doesn't have enough experience to really scheme it and call it and so it ends up being an incoherent mess.

The best comparative I can come up with is Troy Aikman goes to Oklahoma as a QB. A great arm talent and then the program proceeds to turn back to the option. He is lost. His skill set no longer fits what the program wants and he transfers to UCLA. Sonny is air raid guy being asked to conceive and call something completely foreign to him. He's lost in the wilderness. Not as lost as last year but still plenty turned around.

Purple Hearted

Our offensive line suffers from an overall lack of athleticism. They don't move very well laterally (which our zone scheme asks them to do a lot of) and they don't have the best feet. We struggle maintaining leverage, staying on blocks and obviously, we've struggled with pass protection.

I'd like to see us try some more gap scheme stuff, but the zone scheme has been good to the Frogs over the years. We just aren't very good at it this year (or last)

Limey Frog

I’m too lazy to go back and find all the loving posts re Thomsen but they are there. TCU led the league with the fewest sacks in ‘17 and ‘18. It’s astonishing how good a coach can be when his players are good. TCU was better than everyone but OU two years ago.

I’m on record as saying SC and Gary need a divorce but I don’t think the offensive staff is incompetent top to bottom. Now if some hotshot OC comes in and wants his own group, fine but I don’t see GP letting that happen.

Yeah, on-line had been the weak link for years until Thomsen came in, but we made rapid progress after he did. I don't think we need to make a change here after one difficult year. Hopefully we get back on track up front in 2020.