• The KillerFrogs

Frogs Basketball Going Forward

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Could have been 401 wins but that win slipped away because of poor coaching and poor player execution with a 15 point lead.

It was a good thing Samuel was there for the block because no one picked up Tevin Mack and he drove to the basket unimpeded. Game should have ended in regulation one way or the other.
Ok. That wasn’t the point, though.

Purp

Could have been 401 wins but that win slipped away because of poor coaching and poor player execution with a 15 point lead.

It was a good thing Samuel was there for the block because no one picked up Tevin Mack and he drove to the basket unimpeded. Game should have ended in regulation one way or the other.
That was Simms, not Mack. Really good defense call on that final sequence to have KS under the basket in the event of a drive to the bucket. You can't dribble around him when he's under the basket.

Wexahu

- 400 wins
- .708 W/L %
- Avg. 25 wins per year
- 12 NCAA appearances

Those are facts. Whatever he is doing is working.

The only negative metric I've seen involving Jamie is his NCAA record in relation to seeding.

Hopefully he has a lot of opportunities to improve on it.

First 8 years of his career.....98-38 conference record.
Last 8 years of his career.....67-77 conference record.

Is it working, or did it used to work? I'm not trying to be a jerk, all I'm saying is the last few years we haven't looked like a well-coached basketball team. I just don't think that can be denied. Way too many terrible offensive possessions and all kinds of breakdowns in clutch situations.

As for how the great ones do it in terms of their in game coaching style, I'll stand by my comments.

Skip Jansen

Is it working, or did it used to work? I'm not trying to be a jerk, all I'm saying is the last few years we haven't looked like a well-coached basketball team. I just don't think that can be denied. Way too many terrible offensive possessions and all kinds of breakdowns in clutch situations.

As for how the great ones do it in terms of their in game coaching style, I'll stand by my comments.

Your questions are fair and your concerns are legitimate.

I mentioned in a pre-season post about having strong feelings regarding matching up your recruiting with your style of play.

I also mentioned that the 2019-20 Big 12 is different than the 2008-09 Big East.

IMO, the best way to predict the future is to study the past. We'll see where things go from here.

Skip Jansen

- 400 wins
- .708 W/L %
- Avg. 25 wins per year
- 12 NCAA appearances

Those are facts. Whatever he is doing is working.

The only negative metric I've seen involving Jamie is his NCAA record in relation to seeding.

Hopefully he has a lot of opportunities to improve on it.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/jim-boeheim-is-the-new-king-of-march-madness/

This is the metric I was referring to. Not sure the relevance of it since there are a lot top coaches near the bottom as well.

Wexahu

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/jim-boeheim-is-the-new-king-of-march-madness/

This is the metric I was referring to. Not sure the relevance of it since there are a lot top coaches near the bottom as well.

Not all that flattering for JD but I wouldn't put a ton of stock in it. The NCAA tournament is such a crapshoot sometimes with the single-elimination format, and those are the only games counted. Hard to argue though that most of the very top guys on that list are the cream of the crop in the sport.

I just know bad basketball when I see it, and we've played a lot of it in the past few years.

Bill Bozeat

In basketball recruiting I always say follow the money.
That Kansas can just move forward as always given facts presented about multiple players is a crime

LSU gets caught giving 100k to player, small slap on wrist so they sign another 5 star this year I am sure nothing was given to this one

No one stops doing what they aren't held accountable for. While my direct experiences are over 45 years ago. I promise Kentucky and the like are still running the same processes

So much so a recruit then went to the NBA instead of Kentucky and said he took initial loss in pay but long term thought he would make more

Francis Xav

I think we are getting turnovers and trying to push in transition. Clemson just has alot of lengthy athletes as do we and we played sloppy.

I believe this team has alot of talent. To JDs defense, he did inherit a perennially bad horned frogs team(not that his renditions were that bad)

I think we will be fine. Seems that he is very into coaching this year which may be good. Really impressed w defensive intensity. IMO we were the better team. I know a loss is a loss, but we dominated that game.

And out rebounded them.

Anyone know if todays game is on TV?

Skip Jansen

I think we are getting turnovers and trying to push in transition. Clemson just has alot of lengthy athletes as do we and we played sloppy.

I believe this team has alot of talent. To JDs defense, he did inherit a perennially bad horned frogs team(not that his renditions were that bad)

I think we will be fine. Seems that he is very into coaching this year which may be good. Really impressed w defensive intensity. IMO we were the better team. I know a loss is a loss, but we dominated that game.

And out rebounded them.

It's crazy how different the narrative would be if the Frogs had won going away.

Seven minutes of a game shouldn't define a season. Let's see what the team (and staff) learned and what kind of resilience this group has.

I would like to see Bello and Ed on the floor together the next time we get a lead like that though.

hiphopfroggy

Why wasn't Farabello getting on the court during the final stretch? I kept waiting for him to be subbed in to stop the bleeding but nothing......

Skip Jansen

Why wasn't Farabello getting on the court during the final stretch? I kept waiting for him to be subbed in to stop the bleeding but nothing......

A couple of reasons I believe.

Ed had played well during the game and Jamie likes to stick with the 'hot' hand. Also, they haven't spent a lot of time in practice playing Bello and Ed together (hope that changes).

PurpleBlood87

That was Simms, not Mack. Really good defense call on that final sequence to have KS under the basket in the event of a drive to the bucket. You can't dribble around him when he's under the basket.

Yes but they just let him through the entire perimeter defense.

don

And out rebounded them.

I think its only available on flohoops.com

Delray Frog

Clearly it hasn't been perfect coaching in every situation but how can you say the last few years they haven't been a well-coached team. Compared to what?? The last three years we have been to three post season tournaments. There had been no post season play in the previous 20 years prior to Jamie's arrival. Clearly we all want more and will expect more going forward but I would suggest that we pump the brakes a bit before making a general statement that we have been a poorly coached team since Dixon's arrival.

Eight

Clearly it hasn't been perfect coaching in every situation but how can you say the last few years they haven't been a well-coached team. Compared to what?? The last three years we have been to three post season tournaments. There had been no post season play in the previous 20 years prior to Jamie's arrival. Clearly we all want more and will expect more going forward but I would suggest that we pump the brakes a bit before making a general statement that we have been a poorly coached team since Dixon's arrival.

I would say the first two teams at tcu played better basketball than last year, but they did have the advantage of stronger leadership on the roster and were better overall teams

last year had a number of problems, some of which were dixon's responsibility and some weren't, but. my biggest issue coaching wise was the half court offense last year

Farmfrog

I would like to see more motion, both ball and player, and cutting to the basket off the weak side. I would like more movement on the weak side and try to overload one side to isolate matchups we want.

Rose Bowl

I would like to see a quicker tempo and maybe try to isolate Bane in mismatches. I want to see better ballhandling as a team. I want to see us find our identity and play to said identity. There are some x & o things but no need to bore people.

Skip Jansen

I would like to see more motion, both ball and player, and cutting to the basket off the weak side. I would like more movement on the weak side and try to overload one side to isolate matchups we want.

Love the overload comment.

Put Bane on the weak side (left wing is his favorite spot) with a guard curling off a baseline pin down putting Bane's defender in a bind (does he help off Bane to the ball handler or stay attached to the shooter?)

Love it.