• The KillerFrogs

Frogs Basketball Going Forward

Skip Jansen

2019-2020 TCU basketball thread

Above is something I posted before the season. I think everyone pretty much agrees. So.... going forward what are the things you want to see more of and less of. I'll get it started -

Less-

- Ditch the high ball screen action when Ed is playing PG. Totally unorganized.

- Shot clock getting under 5 secs. See above.

More-

- Transition. Gotta get some 'easy' baskets. Roster is more suited for this style as well.

- Early offense. Force the opponent to be engaged on defense for the full 30 secs. Force them into mistakes.

- Move the ball screen action to different spots on the floor.

- More dribble hand-off action. Again, roster suits this. Got 4 guys on the perimeter who can put the defense in a bind. Force the defense to make a decision. If they switch, find the match-up you like and attack it.

What would you guys like to see?

don

More
free throw practice. Use Schloss's baseball breathing techniques, keep ball on finger tips not palms.

Get Bane ball at crunch time.

Tempted to try more full court pressure, utilizing depth in waves, get easier baskets. Go up tempo but not out of control.

Skip, you are greatness. Thanks for your contributions and insight.

Skip Jansen

More
free throw practice. Use Schloss's baseball breathing techniques, keep ball on finger tips not palms.

Tempted to try more full court pressure, utilizing depth in waves, get easier baskets. Go up tempo but not out of control.

Don-

Good stuff. I like it all (not just the Skip part).
:D

PO Frog

More

Did you catch Bane in crunch time last night? Clanked two potential game winning FTs and also made an ill-advised attempted drive and dish to a 7-footer that can't catch in traffic. He didn't appear to want the ball in crunch time, which is step number 1 in choosing who should get the ball in crunch time.

PO Frog

I'd love to see the team try the Steve Nash practice routine on FTs. Rapid fire get the ball in the basket practice seemed to work for him.

PS: worked for UCONN too

Last edited:

netty2424

More:
source.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

y2kFrog

Above is something I posted before the season. I think everyone pretty much agrees. So.... going forward what are the things you want to see more of and less of. I'll get it started -

Less-

More-

- Transition. Gotta get some 'easy' baskets. Roster is more suited for this style as well.

- Early offense. Force the opponent to be engaged on defense for the full 30 secs. Force them into mistakes.

- More dribble hand-off action. Again, roster suits this. Got 4 guys on the perimeter who can put the defense in a bind. Force the defense to make a decision. If they switch, find the match-up you like and attack it.

Is there anyway we can get Fuller, RJ, and Bane in the flood at the same time? That would mean going extremely small or having one of 3 have to bring the ball up. I have seen RJ do it randomly in the flow, for example at the end of the UCI game. I am hoping there is a way to get Fuller more playing time and get the best 5 guys on the court at the same time.

lowfrog

More

Let's employ the TCU Rifle team's breathing techniques instead of baseball's. TCU Rifle is much more accurate with their shots and have several National Championships as a result.

Skip Jansen

Skip - What's going on with Bane?

I thought he played well last night for the most part. Obviously, the two missed FTs stand out, but I was happy to see him take his defender off the bounce some.

In the two previous games, I thought he reverted back to last year when he had trouble factoring into the game if his shot wasn't falling.

His biggest weakness has always been that he is not a confident ball-handler. He worked on it a lot in the off-season but doing it in game conditions is different.

That is one of the reasons I would like to see the Frogs in early offense. He is usually cross-matched defensively (meaning he doesn't defend the same player that defends him). In transition, his defender has to decide whether to find him and match-up or 'shadow' the closest offensive player. When you slow down, you allow the defense to get organized. You lose your advantage.

don

Did you catch Bane in crunch time last night? Clanked two potential game winning FTs and also made an ill-advised attempted drive and dish to a 7-footer that can't catch in traffic. He didn't appear to want the ball in crunch time, which is step number 1 in choosing who should get the ball in crunch time.

Actually no, not yet. Am old, so I turned off when up 15 with 7 minutes. Will review :)

Purp

this. The “slow down” strategy last night vs Clemson when up 15 was a disaster. Let’s hope that experiment is over and done with.
Attack the rim instead of settling for jump shots when we aren’t a good shooting team. Bane stepping up would also be nice
These are my critiques. This "run-the-clock-to-limit-possessions" strategy backfired last night and created more possessions. Up 15 with 7 minutes to go CJD thought he could win even if he didn't score another basket by running all 3 seconds off the shot clock. He was almost right, but Bane missed those free throws. What he didn't anticipate was 6 turnovers in the final 7 minutes that gave Clemson 6 more possessions than he'd planned. Had we just run the offense that got us the 15 point lead we'd have won easily. It's the basketball equivalent of prevent defense in football and it backfires more in today's game than ever since so many kids are great perimeter shooters now. The 15 point lead used to be insurmountable, but now you see leads like that disappear in 5 minutes all the time.

I actually thought we did a good job of attacking the paint in the 2nd half and that's what built the lead. When you wait until 7 seconds left on the shot clock, though, it's a lot harder to get near the basket to get the shot you want, though. If we go to the basket more good things will happen. Especially when KS is on the floor. The defense has to honor his presence, which creates space for anybody who penetrates and beats his man into the paint.

I absolutely hate the strategy to slow the game down at the end. Hate it.

Francis Xav

Less-

More-

Skip,

I have the same thoughts. The question is , do you think JD realizes this?

Also, I believe we can and will play better defense than any of the previous 3 years. Even the freshman seem fully engaged on that end(esp fuller)

You think JDs habit of pacing up and down the sideline all game has a positive effect or negative?

Seems like we are at our best when dribble driving. Clemson made that difficult.