• The KillerFrogs

OU game success rate 4th quarter - Bill Connelly tweet

PO Frog

For those wanting more ammo against Sonny Cumbie, as I am on record for what I think needs to happen. Should have happened last year so we could have spent this year on growing pains of a freshman at the same time we worked through new system growing pains.

HFrog12

I don't know what the answer is or if Cumbie needs to be gone altogether. But something needs to change. It will be kind of embarrassing to see us finish in the bottom half of the Big 12 in offense for the 4th year in a row and watch us not do a damn thing.

Frog-in-law1995

For those wanting more ammo against Sonny Cumbie, as I am on record for what I think needs to happen. Should have happened last year so we could have spent this year on growing pains of a freshman at the same time we worked through new system growing pains.

“Success Rate” in this model is based on how often you gain a percentage of the yardage needed for a first down on a given play, based on what down it is. 50% on 1st, 70% on 2nd, 100% on 3rd/4th. So “success” means a 5 yard pickup on 1st and 10, a 4 yard pickup on 2nd and 5, and a 1 yard gain on 3rd and 1, etc.

We only ran 7 offensive plays in Q4. That’s a LUDICROUSLY small sample size. To suggest that a 5 yard gain on 1st and a 4 yard gain on 2nd (giving us “success” on 2 of 7 plays, or 29%) might’ve “gotten the job done” for us is equally ludicrous.

Raw Frog

The writing was all over the wall after last year. No changes. This was the year that it was supposed to really take off. Best defense in GP's time. QB play was a bit of a question mark, but we were supposedly loaded elsewhere even though we lost two top tier DEs. Mathis was supposedly perhaps the best DE to ever come through the program. His second year here. What a waste of a year for our team.
I have never been so disappointed in our program, and frankly hold little hope if there are not some big changes with our staff and program direction.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
“Success Rate” in this model is based on how often you gain a percentage of the yardage needed for a first down on a given play, based on what down it is. 50% on 1st, 70% on 2nd, 100% on 3rd/4th. So “success” means a 5 yard pickup on 1st and 10, a 4 yard pickup on 2nd and 5, and a 1 yard gain on 3rd and 1, etc.

We only ran 7 offensive plays in Q4. That’s a LUDICROUSLY small sample size. To suggest that a 5 yard gain on 1st and a 4 yard gain on 2nd (giving us “success” on 2 of 7 plays, or 29%) might’ve “gotten the job done” for us is equally ludicrous.
source.gif

Eight

3504.jpg

jake102

The writing was all over the wall after last year. No changes. This was the year that it was supposed to really take off. Best defense in GP's time. QB play was a bit of a question mark, but we were supposedly loaded elsewhere even though we lost two top tier DEs. Mathis was supposedly perhaps the best DE to ever come through the program. His second year here. What a waste of a year for our team.
I have never been so disappointed in our program, and frankly hold little hope if there are not some big changes with our staff and program direction.

Yep. Our starting QB (Delton) turned out to be a complete bust. DEs have been awful despite the talk, LBs have been pretty bad. Secondary has oftentimes been more confused than ever (with seniors being the most confused).

OL is a gigantic disappointment with how many returning starters, WRs really can't get worse, RBs don't have much of a chance. I think the play of the year that defines our offense was the screen pass we had set for Sewo where it was WIDE OPEN to the left side with three TCU OL and one OU player. All three OL whiff and the one OU player makes the tackle for a three yard loss. That play goes 20+ yards for OU.

Wexahu

Yep. Our starting QB (Delton) turned out to be a complete bust. DEs have been awful despite the talk, LBs have been pretty bad. Secondary has oftentimes been more confused than ever (with seniors being the most confused).

OL is a gigantic disappointment with how many returning starters, WRs really can't get worse, RBs don't have much of a chance. I think the play of the year that defines our offense was the screen pass we had set for Sewo where it was WIDE OPEN to the left side with three TCU OL and one OU player. All three OL whiff and the one OU player makes the tackle for a three yard loss. That play goes 20+ yards for OU.

And somehow we've won 5 games and were within one score of winning 5 other games. This has been a really weird year. I see our team play and we just look so bad so often, but when you simply look at game results we really can't be THAT bad, there have to be some areas of the team that are better than given credit for.

Eight

And somehow we've won 5 games and were within one score of winning 5 other games. This has been a really weird year. I see our team play and we just look so bad so often, but when you simply look at game results we really can't be THAT bad, there have to be some areas of the team that are better than given credit for.

there are times in sports where the numbers aside from the score of the game just don't explain what has happened over the course of a season.

jake102

t when you simply look at game results we really can't be THAT bad, there have to be some areas of the team that are better than given credit for.

Defense - specifically the DTs and secondary. They've played really well in some games we've lost. But the secondary played terribly against Tech, which we barely won. Who is a bad team.

Other than that - Duggan's running ability. Pretty much single handedly kept our offense in the Kansas State and OU losses. The SMU loss was carried by DA's big day. Baylor was all defense.

y2kFrog

Kicker!

I actually think the defense overall is not bad at all. They are just under a gigantic microscope since the offense literally does nothing.

PO Frog

I understand how the stat works and agree that it is a small sample size. Are you aware of any particular reason the sample size is so small?

CountryFrog

Who the hell was saying that Mathis would be our best DE ever?

Eight

CountryFrog