• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Patterson rips officials for ‘poor decision’ on late call in TCU-Oklahoma game

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Gary Patterson rips officials for ‘poor decision’ on late call in TCU-Oklahoma game

By Drew Davison

NORMAN, Okla. – TCU coach Gary Patterson wasn’t pleased with a late call by officials that granted Oklahoma a game-sealing first down Saturday night.

Patterson felt his defense stopped OU quarterback Jalen Hurts on a third-and-1 run that started with 1:33 left on the clock. Replays appeared to show Frogs defensive tackle Ross Blacklock and linebacker Garret Wallow holding Hurts short of the first-down marker.

But officials ruled Hurts had reached the first-down marker on the field, and the ruling stood upon review. Oklahoma was able to run out the clock afterward for a 28-24 victory.

“On the TV version, it was [short],” Patterson said afterward. “I’ll be honest with you. I think it was a poor decision on their part because I didn’t think he got past the 41-yard line.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article237721974.html#storylink=cpy

VA Froggie

The sad thing is the officials saying it was a first down to begin with. In either way the call could not have been overturned but no way was that a first down. Doesn’t mean we would have won the game but that call sealed it for OU.

McGregor's Goat

I loved the defensive effort last night, they played their hearts out, gave TCU a chance, and held OU to under 30 for the first time in forever. That combined with a pick 6 should have resulted in a victory.

The bad news: we were out-gained 511-204. If you're an OU fan, your narrative is "OU completely dominated, should have won in a blow-out, and a handful of fluky plays went TCU's way and made it close." As appalling as the call/ non-reversal was at the end of the game, the fact is that TCU's offense put up 204 yards and 17 points. We essentially made OU look like they had the best defense in the country last night. And at this point I just don't see how TCU is going to get much better without GP acknowledging that his offense is completely broken and the solution requires more than the same old "grow them up" blather.

Zubaz

I loved the defensive effort last night, they played their hearts out, gave TCU a chance, and held OU to under 30 for the first time in forever. That combined with a pick 6 should have resulted in a victory.

The bad news: we were out-gained 511-204. If you're an OU fan, your narrative is "OU completely dominated, should have won in a blow-out, and a handful of fluky plays went TCU's way and made it close." As appalling as the call/ non-reversal was at the end of the game, the fact is that TCU's offense put up 204 yards and 17 points. We essentially made OU look like they had the best defense in the country last night. And at this point I just don't see how TCU is going to get much better without GP acknowledging that his offense is completely broken and the solution requires more than the same old "grow them up" blather.
That very well SHOULD be the narrative....if not for a terrible call. We would have gotten the ball somewhere around the 20, and an offense that had 200 yards all game would have needed to go 80 in about 80 seconds. Those aren't great odds.

But they are better odds than we have with Hurts taking three kneeldowns.

flyfishingfrog

After the first quarter I agree. The whole team fought like hell. But we let Hurts and OU beat us in the first quarter.
Only true if you think we were going to hold OU to 20 pts or less

they gave it up on the 1st and got it back in the 2nd,3rd and 4th

if we can’t beat OU when they score less than 30 - we probably shouldn’t plan on beating them often

oh yeah - we don’t

McGregor's Goat

if we can’t beat OU when they score less than 30 - we probably shouldn’t plan on beating them often

One of the things that bothers me is that GP pretty much still has his fastball as a defensive coach, probably doesn't have many years left, and he's cranking out 6-6 seasons because he turned the offense over to completely mediocre offensive staff. 2013, 2018, and 2019, at a minimum, were lost to bad offensive coaching. He has the hard part covered - be a defensive genius who maintains consistent defensive excellence with mid-level recruiting - and is botching what seems like the easy part - hire a competent OC who can just field an offense as good as its baseline talent level.

Rhett Salem

Same story every year v the schooners they jump ahead early and frogs play catch up rest of the game. Why watch that every year? This AD has some work to do and not on the east side luxury suites...

flyfishingfrog

Same story every year v the schooners they jump ahead early and frogs play catch up rest of the game. Why watch that every year? This AD has some work to do and not on the east side luxury suites...
While I disagree about needing a new HC

Anyone who wants a new HC in any major sport better hope we get a new AD first

ADJD has some strengths but I don’t see how there is anyway he would not be in way over his head trying to replace any of our big 3 if we are expecting to get it right the first time

Pharm Frog

While I disagree about needing a new HC

Anyone who wants a new HC in any major sport better hope we get a new AD first

ADJD has some strengths but I don’t see how there is anyway he would not be in way over his head trying to replace any of our big 3 if we are expecting to get it right the first time
We have two head coaches right now. A head coach of the defense and a head coach of the offense. Division of labor and vision for the totality of the program suffers.

flyfishingfrog

I’d rather have a head coach. Strategy and structure must match.
Then I suggest you get a new school probably

what head coach are you suggesting that truly runs both the offense and the defense?

or move on to baseball - where the same situation may exist again this year also

but we did bunt during the purple/white

Pharm Frog

Then I suggest you get a new school probably

what head coach are you suggesting that truly runs both the offense and the defense?

or move on to baseball - where the same situation may exist again this year also

but we did bunt during the purple/white
Don’t want a head coach who “runs” the offense and defense and special teams. But I think you know that.

Froggish

I know they piled on the yards but if we win the TO margin and hold a team under 30 every week, we are generally going to win 80% of the time. Yardage just like TOP is one of the most overrated stats in modern football. Most teams move the ball well outside the RZ..What you do both offensively and defensively in the RZ is what defines a teams quality. Short fields and smaller playbooks will tell you who’s good and who isn’t.

Ron Swanson

I have zero issue with Gary being the HC and running the defense, and then hiring an OC who runs the offense.

That system can absolutely work, he just needs the right OC.

Having Gary hire a DC to take charge of the defense seems counterproductive to me. We will never find a DC who’s better than Gary at running a defense. Not to mention, imagine always having to worry about the offense and the defense. Right now, the defense is almost always good because we have Gary.