• The KillerFrogs

meanwhile, back in austin.......

FrogCop19

Someone explain what that means: "...our patented Texas Fight..."

I believe it means that they rake in money off their brand recognition, rake in recruits through both brand recognition and false promises, then take those two piles of money and recruits and use them to get more of both. Once a respectable pile of each has been obtained, under-perform on the field and blame the refs for being biased, the other team for dragging them down, the conference powers for not supporting them, and the current flavor-of-the-month coach they have for his incompetence.

That sound about right?

Tumbleweed

Chris doesn't need to worry. Once realignment happens and UT leaves this dumpster fire of a conference everything will be alright. Don't believe me? Ask our colleagues down in Austin. They'll tell you. Their woes are because this is a stale conference and we're obviously dragging them down.

NF

It almost has to be new conferences altogether. Hand picked big enrollment state school and probably NDame. Then, along come the second tier and a third tier. Believe, action will start sometime before the tv contract ends, this will allow seamless video production. Remember, the new media contract(s) will include bidders like Amazon, Netflix, Utube and so on. These media mega outlets can absolutely bury ABC, CBS, Fox etc because they are flushed with HUGE amounts of money that ABC, Fox etc do not have. It's doing to change so dramatically we viewers won't recognize college football.

In the past year, I listened to a conversation we had with the past president of a major streaming giant and how they and other streaming giants, are looking at the future of sports, esp college football. When he concluded, the three of us just sat there dumbfounded and looked at one another.

Last edited:

One Frog Nation

Chris doesn't need to worry. Once realignment happens and UT leaves this dumpster fire of a conference everything will be alright. Don't believe me? Ask our colleagues down in Austin. They'll tell you. Their woes are because this is a stale conference and we're obviously dragging them down.

NF
Sir Doug, one of the best ever.

Frog DJ

I'm sure the streaming services have lots of money to throw at college football, but the three-letter networks do too.

Broadcast rights will come down to who wants it more, and having worked for CBS for decades I can tell you they won't hold back.

Just for what it's worth...

Go Frogs!

Tumbleweed

I'm sure the streaming services have lots of money to throw at college football, but the three-letter networks do too.

Broadcast rights will come down to who wants it more, and having worked for CBS for decades I can tell you they won't hold back.

Just for what it's worth...

Go Frogs!

Certainly agree.

As an example, if ...ESPN offered 250 million, the Amazon's of the world etc. would double that and if necessary, triple that. Plus offer technological advances. Either way, it's going to cost you to watch college ball. It could be .....cheaper to go to the game than watch it on tv OR possibly the price for a ticket would be about the same as watching it on tv. Remember, I said dramatically change. Not my words but the offerings of one of the biggest streaming companies.

Billy Clyde

Certainly agree.

As an example, if ...ESPN offered 250 million, the Amazon's of the world etc. would double that and if necessary, triple that. Plus offer technological advances. Either way, it's going to cost you to watch college ball. It could be .....cheaper to go to the game than watch it on tv OR possibly the price for a ticket would be about the same as watching it on tv. Remember, I said dramatically change. Not my words but the offerings of one of the biggest streaming companies.

If that all comes to fruition, that's the point at which I turn off the tv. I can wait for the youtube version to come out.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The bidding war will result in a lot of changes, probably all for the worse. None of the outfits bidding for broadcast rights are going to eat the inflated costs. Those get passed down to us consumers. The likely product will be far more commercial laden than now, and more often than not, a pay-per-view or pure subscription proposition. Probably with commercials.

What is probably inevitable is more consolidation of the Big Programs to ensure ratings, and the likelihood of the broadcasters demanding rules changes. The desire to tinker with the game to "speed it up" or to increase scoring will debase the game. The broadcasters don't care about the integrity of the game, only the short-term numbers of ratings and revenue.
Enjoy these next few years. The game is about to take a bullet to the head. The corpse may twitch for a while after it is dead, but it will be dead nonetheless.

netty2424

The bidding war will result in a lot of changes, probably all for the worse. None of the outfits bidding for broadcast rights are going to eat the inflated costs. Those get passed down to us consumers. The likely product will be far more commercial laden than now, and more often than not, a pay-per-view or pure subscription proposition. Probably with commercials.

What is probably inevitable is more consolidation of the Big Programs to ensure ratings, and the likelihood of the broadcasters demanding rules changes. The desire to tinker with the game to "speed it up" or to increase scoring will debase the game. The broadcasters don't care about the integrity of the game, only the short-term numbers of ratings and revenue.
Enjoy these next few years. The game is about to take a bullet to the head. The corpse may twitch for a while after it is dead, but it will be dead nonetheless.
giphy.gif

Tumbleweed

Billy, no you won't. You may start off that direction. You are a big sports fan and football has become a staple in the fabric of your life. You'll find a way to pay and watch

Zubaz

The desire to tinker with the game to "speed it up" or to increase scoring will debase the game. The broadcasters don't care about the integrity of the game, only the short-term numbers of ratings and revenue.
I'd be willing to bet that someone, somewhere, said this exact same thing in the 1980's following the Oklahoma decision.

Ron Swanson

Out walking around old Worth Hills golf course one day, passed cdc twice, acknowledged him both times and got no response. Said to myself, what an a$$. Now he is ut's a$$.
He was entirely oily when he was here, he was just our oil-can Harry and people looked past his character flaws because he was getting things done for us. Now that he's gone, he's exactly the same dude, but because he's on the opposing team people don't see him through the purple glasses any more.

He was a great fundraiser, but typical huckster albeit in a very nice well-tailored suit. An ethicist he ain't, and never was.
I expected him to be a sleazy guy before I ever met him for whatever reason, but during all my interactions with him (maybe 3-4 times) he was super friendly, very genuine, and I just came away extremely impressed with him.

He took arguably the biggest job in his profession after doing a very good job at TCU for almost a decade. Not to mention, he got us into the Big 12, so we are forever in his debt. I got no issue with the man.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I've got a wager for anyone who thinks CFB will be pay-per-view or close anytime soon. These streaming services are going on the warpath and if one or two of them were to sign CFB deals, they will simply be feathers in an entire portfolio that they offer, included with subscription. It won't be per-game.

Heck, as expensive as bundling gets you'll probably save money. I've been trying to convince my GF for a year now that we could get 5 streaming services for what we pay in Uverse.

Billy Clyde

I expected him to be a sleazy guy before I ever met him for whatever reason, but during all my interactions with him (maybe 3-4 times) he was super friendly, very genuine, and I just came away extremely impressed with him.

He took arguably the biggest job in his profession after doing a very good job at TCU for almost a decade. Not to mention, he got us into the Big 12, so we are forever in his debt. I got no issue with the man.

Having great charisma whether one-on-one or in front of a crowd, or on Twitter, doesn’t equal character, imo. Everyone who ever met Bill Clinton seemed to come away similarly impressed in the same way you just described... But I’m not gonna ask him to watch my girlfriend for me while I’m away. (Before I’m accused of politics I think trump is one of the worst people on the planet).

I’ll never forget or forgive Dell for the +4 hosing. It was deliberate, cynical, unnecessary and highly predictable in its negative consequences.
In hindsight, it’s no surprise how many times I ran into him at the UT breakfast hangout on Hulen.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I've got a wager for anyone who thinks CFB will be pay-per-view or close anytime soon. These streaming services are going on the warpath and if one or two of them were to sign CFB deals, they will simply be feathers in an entire portfolio that they offer, included with subscription. It won't be per-game.

Heck, as expensive as bundling gets you'll probably save money. I've been trying to convince my GF for a year now that we could get 5 streaming services for what we pay in Uverse.
I hope you're right. I just don't have a terribly good opinion of the Networks and their evident contempt for their viewers. You've got a damned good point about the streaming outfits being totally different in outlook from the networks. Their models are entirely different from Network TV models. It's hard to break old modes of thought sometimes...

Tumbleweed

Viewing sports in the future.

Your new home has an area clear of tables, lights, furniture with seating arrangement in a circle in the center of the room.

You lower the lights, grab the remote and what you see next is a football game broadcast as a hologram. I'm told that is possible in the very near future. Just a thought but I wonder what that service what run? Of course in the beginning, those programs would be a special event.