• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

Heard rumblings he could be sacked over the international break but didn’t give them that much credence. Think they will regret this move as well.

Purp

Agree with everyone here. Bad move and I expect it to backfire. Spurs have been an abortion this season.

ETA: If Mourinho is, in fact, named manager may join Moose as a Gladbach supporter. I just can't stand watching Jose ball. It's the European soccer equivalent of B1G football.

Last edited:

Purp

Sargent opened the scoring against Cuba with an opening minute goal. Consecutive games against Cuba with 1st minute goals.

Purp

About 250 fans in attendance?
Maybe if you include the camera guys, ball boys, and popcorn vendors.

Apparently Cuba's national stadium is under renovation so they're having to host games in the Cayman Islands. This pitch is as bad as the one we squandered the WC on in T&T. Fortunately our team is slightly better and our opponent substantially worse.

Purp

He’s baaaack! No not UT in American football, but Mourinho in the EPL. The over/under on him being sacked is 2 seasons. I may take the under.
Unfortunately, I'm afraid it'll be longer than that. Spurs are notoriously leery of spending money and they just spent a ton to sack Poch. I don't see them doing that again. Especially in 1-2 years. We're stuck with Jose ball until his contract expires.

The great irony here is that if Spurs had spent as much in the transfer window as they did to purge Poch and his staff you'd have likely had a successful season and happy Poch.

Ugh...

dawg

Quite possibly the worst choice they could have made. The funeral pyre of all this will be amazing to watch.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...spur-jose-mourinho-named-new-manager-of-spurs

giphy.gif

I'll go ahead and answer: yeaaaahhhhh, no.

dawg

Unfortunately, I'm afraid it'll be longer than that. Spurs are notoriously leery of spending money and they just spent a ton to sack Poch. I don't see them doing that again. Especially in 1-2 years. We're stuck with Jose ball until his contract expires.

The great irony here is that if Spurs had spent as much in the transfer window as they did to purge Poch and his staff you'd have likely had a successful season and happy Poch.

Ugh...

Look on the bright side, @Purp : At least Stan Kroenke doesn't own your club.

Purp

Look on the bright side, @Purp : At least Stan Kroenke doesn't own your club.
True, but I'm not so sure Levy as Chairman is better. It seems clear he's been wooed by Mourinho's track record or success and is blind to his most recent track record of abject failure. A man incapable of fearing that scares me. Worse, a man willing to ignore the progress Poch made year over year and not give him all the support he requests in the transfer window so that he could bring in a guy like Jose is more scary.

dawg

True, but I'm not so sure Levy as Chairman is better. It seems clear he's been wooed by Mourinho's track record or success and is blind to his most recent track record of abject failure. A man incapable of fearing that scares me. Worse, a man willing to ignore the progress Poch made year over year and not give him all the support he requests in the transfer window so that he could bring in a guy like Jose is more scary.

Yeah, that was my initial thought as well: one of Mourinho's beefs with United is that they wouldn't spend in the transfer windows to get players he wanted. Does he have any knowledge of how Levy does business?

I get Spurs holding the purse tight given how much they spent to renovate WHL (Arsenal did for years after building their new stadium), but at the same time... you have a club that came within a win or two of winning the league in 2016 and a goal of winning the European Cup last season, on a squad entering what should be their prime years. Those sorts of squads don't come along often unless you're Real, Barca, Bayern, or (given their now bottomless pit of petro dollars) City*. You have to strengthen a side that good, while the silverware window is open. Given that the EPL has a top six, he also shouldn't have taken a CL place for granted.

*I think it is funny as hell that Pep is bemoaning a "thin" squad. scheiss off, City; I guess £2.5b doesn't buy what it used to.

Purp

Yeah, that was my initial thought as well: one of Mourinho's beefs with United is that they wouldn't spend in the transfer windows to get players he wanted. Does he have any knowledge of how Levy does business?

I get Spurs holding the purse tight given how much they spent to renovate WHL (Arsenal did for years after building their new stadium), but at the same time... you have a club that came within a win or two of winning the league in 2016 and a goal of winning the European Cup last season, on a squad entering what should be their prime years. Those sorts of squads don't come along often unless you're Real, Barca, Bayern, or (given their now bottomless pit of petro dollars) City*. You have to strengthen a side that good, while the silverware window is open. Given that the EPL has a top six, he also shouldn't have taken a CL place for granted.

*I think it is funny as hell that Pep is bemoaning a "thin" squad. scheiss off, City; I guess £2.5b doesn't buy what it used to.
Supposedly part of the negotiation with Mourinho included a commitment to invest in the roster in ways he wants. Levy has stated that the club can't afford to miss the Champion's League many times, which is why he made this move on Poch as quickly as he has so I'll be surprised if they don't makea couple big splashes in the winter window. I'm just not convinced that they could spend City money on players and get results with Mourinho. Jose has had access to the best players in the world his last two stops and been a miserable manager. His style is putrid and slow and boring and uninspiring and... I just hate watching it. He wants to win every game 1-0 (CGP's wet dream) and you can't do that with top talent. You eventually lose them and other top talent wants to avoid you.

I hate this.

Chongo94

The comments or I guess reports that have come out about how he wants to do things this time are laughable. They seem diametrically opposed to how he normally conducts things.
This could be a fascinating dumpster fire.

Purp

The comments or I guess reports that have come out about how he wants to do things this time are laughable. They seem diametrically opposed to how he normally conducts things.
This could be a fascinating dumpster fire.
If by fascinating you mean maddening then I'd agree. I haven't taken the pulse of Spurs fans around the world on this, but I can't imagine they're too excited about this. I've long joked that I wish Mourinho could manage City, Chelsea, and United all at the same time so that he could do us all a favor and run them into the ground. Never in my wildest nightmares did I imagine he would end up at White Hart Lane as skipper. I honestly never once imagined that it was even a possibility until 2 days ago. I'm sick to my stomach.

Farmfrog

I don’t think anyone in England has the future that Chelsea does if they stay together and healthy. They have nine guys 22 and younger playing now, some at a truly high level, with several guys not too far away plus money to spend next window.

KTBFFH