• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘He just keeps getting better.’ TCU’s Max Duggan takes another step vs. Texas Tech.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Was glad to read Max was coming off the field upset the offense did not get a TD and had to kick a FG. That has been a problem the last several years. Too many FGs. We start finding the end zone more and ...

CountryFrog

It's just amazing to me how invested some of you are in certain coaches being terrible that even the mention of a single positive thing sets you off into needing to list every single negative thing you can think of about them. As if we've all forgotten that our offense has been bad for just about all of the last 23 games. I can assure you that none of us have forgotten.

Westsider

Unless Sonny’s game plan was telling Max our receivers won’t be open most plays and our oline can’t block long enough to keep a pocket on the others- so run for your life and hope you find daylight...

then I see little reason to give Sonny credit for much of anything - the offense opened up after Max forced his way for yards and made them back off on his own

maybe waking up enough to put in Andrew Coker and / or telling Max that #4 is your best option not #1 if he had anything to do with either of those changes

You and I are around the same age, and I don’t recall any offensive line you may have played on lighting anyone up. Just seems to me your criticism of the OL would be tempered by having been there, done that.

Moose Stuff

Ones where we were lowest scoring b12 team against Tech except for WVU

Ones where we score a total of 6 points in the second half because Tech made adjustment and our OC can’t react EVER

where we literally never changed our play calling to deal with the fact that our oline couldn’t block- no quick passes, no mis-direction, running left, nothing different than any other game unless you count not running the wild frog

we even stopped throwing to our TEs it seemed which was the one quick route we had been able to execute

everybody Tech played this year has lit them up - they are bad on D - and we tried to give them the game by making dumb mistakes in our secondary and literally failing to do anything but get yards Between the 20s and not score in the second half

guessing our red zone performance ranking didn’t exactly get a ton better even with the W yesterday

this W is all on our players - our O staff didn’t change a thing to adapt

And yes - Cumbie still sucks at his job even after beating the second worst team in the conference by 3 and scoring less than Kansas against them

FWIW, nobody in this thread is asserting that Sonny somehow became a great OC Saturday. My only assertion remains that he wasn’t bad. But I get it, you’re THAT guy, and that’s fine. You do you.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

This makes since...If the point people are making is that SC had one of his better games Sat, then I can get behind that.

This discussion started with me typing “Sonny was fine yesterday”. We started fast, put up a ton of yards, dominated TOP, didn’t turn it over, and put together a couple solid drives late to win the game..... he was fine. He didn’t save his job or magically turn into Lincoln Riley.

HG73

He has balls, moxie, a cannon for an arm, can run like a deer, and appears to be a good leader. He has every single thing you want a QB prospect to have. His accuracy and ability to “see” the field and read a defense needs work right now, but I have no reason to believe that won’t come with time and experience.

He’s gonna be awesome
And he is an excellent blocker.

One of the best blocking QBs I have seen.

Wexahu

I'd love to keep Cumbie on staff as QB coach

This might sound crazy but as long as it would be assured we'd have a new OC and this offense would be mostly scrapped, I wouldn't be totally opposed to SC being the head coach. He'd be able to recruit, I'm pretty sure of that. Some guys are more cut out to oversee and be the face of a program than be a nuts and bolts coach, he might be one of those guys. See Mack Brown.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Pocket presence, quicker reads, field vision, velocity and accuracy of passes are some of the areas that are in need of

improvement.

Quicker reads is the key IMO. Which goes hand in hand with field vision. I think the pocket presence is fine and I'm not worried about the accuracy, that will improve as he throws more passes in rhythm. He seems to have gotten a little better each game though in almost all areas though.

Moose Stuff

This might sound crazy but as long as it would be assured we'd have a new OC and this offense would be mostly scrapped, I wouldn't be totally opposed to SC being the head coach. He'd be able to recruit, I'm pretty sure of that. Some guys are more cut out to oversee and be the face of a program than be a nits and bolts coach, he might be one of those guys. See Mack Brown.

I don’t disagree with this. I wouldn’t say I’m advocating for it, but I get exactly what you’re saying. I think that’s part of what makes Schloss so good. I’m not sure he’s an awesome X’s and O’s kind of guy (not saying he definitely isn’t) but his assistants sure as hell are and he lets them do their job. He’s a perfect CEO type leader.

froginaustin

Can we hire his dad as Analyst?

Duggan certainly seems to have learned the game.

I have conflicted feelings about TCU hiring Duggan's dad as an analyst. If players' parents can be hired as analysts, some of the programs that TCU competes against would have a whole section of the stadium full of paid analysts.

ShadowFrog

Moderators

I have conflicted feelings about TCU hiring Duggan's dad as an analyst. If players' parents can be hired as analysts, some of the programs that TCU competes against would have a whole section of the stadium full of paid analysts.
The anarchist in me would Love to see a bunch of Casey’s moms screaming at opposing coaches just for the tantrum entertainment value.

Now, that said, Stacey’s Moms have got it goin’ on....

Wexahu

Hopefully the idea of hiring Duggan’s dad as an analyst was a joke.

Froggish

This might sound crazy but as long as it would be assured we'd have a new OC and this offense would be mostly scrapped, I wouldn't be totally opposed to SC being the head coach. He'd be able to recruit, I'm pretty sure of that. Some guys are more cut out to oversee and be the face of a program than be a nuts and bolts coach, he might be one of those guys. See Mack Brown.

BOLD...The logic isn't bad