• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘He just keeps getting better.’ TCU’s Max Duggan takes another step vs. Texas Tech.

Moose Stuff

Unless Sonny’s game plan was telling Max our receivers won’t be open most plays and our oline can’t block long enough to keep a pocket on the others- so run for your life and hope you find daylight...
We absolutely had quite a few open receivers and Max running for his life only accounted for 75 of our 549 yards (all 75 weren’t “running for his life” either). And since Sonny is also our QB coach doesn’t he get some of the credit for Max’s performance? Like I’ve said more than once in this thread I’m not defending Sonny as a whole but we have several regulars on here that go overboard to cast blame his way and seem totally blind to anything he might do well on any given day. You’re clearly one of those.

Raw Frog

I don't really know what to say about him except we have to keep him healthy and that's going to be difficult.

IMO, this sums him up at this point - the disallowed TD against Baylor where he broke 2 tackles on the way to the 9 yd. line whereas he encounters 3 Baylor DBs and blows them up and dives into the endzone. I mean really, Boykin's patented flip into the endzone was impressive but this was an all time highlight reel and a true freshman QB at that.

I second this. The shame of it, is that it did not count. He was in for a TD.
It was Doak Walker/ Bobby Lane type of play.

flyfishingfrog

We absolutely had quite a few open receivers and Max running for his life only accounted for 75 of our 549 yards (all 75 weren’t “running for his life” either). And since Sonny is also our QB coach doesn’t he get some of the credit for Max’s performance? Like I’ve said more than once in this thread I’m not defending Sonny as a whole but we have several regulars on here that go overboard to cast blame his way and seem totally blind to anything he might do well on any given day. You’re clearly one of those.
He ran for his life on a lot more plays than the ones he “rushed” the ball

at least half his completions were (most in the first half) were Max out of the pocket- not my design - looking for an open receiver

curious what you can actually point to about Sonnys game plan that was any different than the Baylor game beyond some receivers actually catching the ball

CountryFrog

He ran for his life on a lot more plays than the ones he “rushed” the ball

at least half his completions were (most in the first half) were Max out of the pocket- not my design - looking for an open receiver

curious what you can actually point to about Sonnys game plan that was any different than the Baylor game beyond some receivers actually catching the ball
Curious how many games you watch around the country where teams put up 549 yards and come away with the opinion that the OC did a really bad job.

flyfishingfrog

Curious how many games you watch around the country where teams put up 549 yards and come away with the opinion that the OC did a really bad job.
Ones where we were lowest scoring b12 team against Tech except for WVU

Ones where we score a total of 6 points in the second half because Tech made adjustment and our OC can’t react EVER

where we literally never changed our play calling to deal with the fact that our oline couldn’t block- no quick passes, no mis-direction, running left, nothing different than any other game unless you count not running the wild frog

we even stopped throwing to our TEs it seemed which was the one quick route we had been able to execute

everybody Tech played this year has lit them up - they are bad on D - and we tried to give them the game by making dumb mistakes in our secondary and literally failing to do anything but get yards Between the 20s and not score in the second half

guessing our red zone performance ranking didn’t exactly get a ton better even with the W yesterday

this W is all on our players - our O staff didn’t change a thing to adapt

And yes - Cumbie still sucks at his job even after beating the second worst team in the conference by 3 and scoring less than Kansas against them

Froggish

The other thing I'd put in the plus column for Sonny is that we're actually one of the better 3rd down offenses in the entire country and we were great there again yesterday. OC has to get a lot of the credit for that.

To take the next step as an offense, we need more big plays in the passing and running game so that we don't HAVE TO convert so many third downs to move the ball down the field. That of course is up to the OC to help figure that out.

You make a fair point on 3rd down efficiency but we also have one if the worst yards per play averages in all of college football. As you pointed out we haven’t had that many big plays and that’s accounting for a high number of 3rd downs. Fundamentally though, most people don’t think of CFBs best offense as the grind it out type. I would go as far as to say that in modern football you really aren’t that good offensively if you aren’t able to consistently get big plays. You can be tough but championship level football requires some explosiveness

Peacefrog

Degenerate

Ones where we score a total of 6 points in the second half because Tech made adjustment and our OC can’t react EVER

where we literally never changed our play calling to deal with the fact that our oline couldn’t block- no quick passes, no mis-direction, running left, nothing different than any other game unless you count not running the wild frog

we even stopped throwing to our TEs it seemed which was the one quick route we had been able to execute

everybody Tech played this year has lit them up - they are bad on D - and we tried to give them the game by making dumb mistakes in our secondary and literally failing to do anything but get yards Between the 20s and not score in the second half

guessing our red zone performance ranking didn’t exactly get a ton better even with the W yesterday

And yes - Cumbie still sucks at his job even after beating the second worst team in the conference by 3 and scoring less than Kansas against them
But did you fly in for the game?

Peacefrog

Degenerate
You make a fair point on 3rd down efficiency but we also have one if the worst yards per play averages in all of college football. As you pointed out we haven’t had that many big plays and that’s accounting for a high number of 3rd downs. Fundamentally though, most people don’t think of CFBs best offense as the grind it out type. I would go as far as to say that in modern football you really aren’t that good offensively if you aren’t able to consistently get big plays. You can be tough but championship level football requires some explosiveness
Nothing to worry about then since this isn’t championship level football.

CountryFrog

All true

CountryFrog

And none of that has anything to do with the actual question that I asked.

Regardless of whether you think he sucks at his job or not, Cumbie was fine in this game. He had the play call to get us a TD when Barber was called for OPI. Then we would've been the second highest scoring team vs Tech this year. So then would that have appeased you?