• The KillerFrogs

OT - Thanksgiving Dinner

Frog-in-law1995

It's common knowledge that in 1621 the first Thanksgiving was celebrated at Plymouth. But some say the “real” first Thanksgiving took place more than 20 years earlier near present-day El Paso, when at least 400 Spaniards, in an exploration led by Juan de Oñate, feasted with the Mansos tribe.

Read All About It!

Thanksgiving in April? Maybe if you’re giving thanks for a bountiful tulip harvest.

Frog-in-law1995

I know at least three dozen professional bbq caterers all across the state who smoke turkeys every thanksgiving. Guys I compete against several times a year. If you’re interested, pm me your general location and I’ll get you a web address or a name and number.

Paint It Purple

My boy grew into a fine man and a dang good cook. He comes home for thanksgiving with his girl and he and his mom go to work in the kitchen together. He usually has a special twist on all the traditional dishes. I sit along side with a whiskey or a wine and enjoy all the banter, tales, stories and reminisces. Can’t wait.

Ron Swanson

Learn to cook Thanksgiving Dinner from family or yourself. It is a great way to bring different generations of family together. Plus, you will get more satisfaction from it.
Sack up and cook your meal yourself! Seriously, get involved, do some work, and enjoy the fruits of your labors. Get friends and family involved. Create your own family tradition with whatever side dishes or style of cooking you prefer. Believe me, it's better that way (unless you hate your family and friends).
Y’all are hardly breaking new ground here with these hot takes, guys. I’m guessing Opintel is in some sort of personal situation where that isn’t an option right now, so he’s looking for an alternative.

I doubt he read your posts and thought, “Holy crap, I’ve never thought of this... I have tons of free time and family and friends around, we will just cook it ourselves. What a great idea!!”

ThisIsOurTime

Y’all are hardly breaking new ground here with these hot takes, guys. I’m guessing Opintel is in some sort of personal situation where that isn’t an option right now, so he’s looking for an alternative.

I doubt he read your posts and thought, “Holy crap, I’ve never thought of this... I have tons of free time and family and friends around, we will just cook it ourselves. What a great idea!!”

1. You are speculating or as you put it, "guessing." You could be dead wrong. Maybe he doesn't know how to cook and is afraid to try. Maybe he doesn't realize the benefits accrued and thinks it would be better to just watch television rather than try to bring family and friends together.
2. If it was really wrong for us to give our takes, why are you now giving yours? If judging is wrong, why are you now judging us?
3. Even if what you said is true; then, he has a much bigger problem than worrying about Thanksgiving Dinner. He should be focusing on that aspect of his life. The whole point of the holiday isn't the food but the time spent sharing with family and friends.
4. Even if family and friends weren't available, there are still churches that offer Thanksgiving meals. One shouldn't let pride get in the way of seeking out fellowship.

Brog

It's common knowledge that in 1621 the first Thanksgiving was celebrated at Plymouth. But some say the “real” first Thanksgiving took place more than 20 years earlier near present-day El Paso, when at least 400 Spaniards, in an exploration led by Juan de Oñate, feasted with the Mansos tribe.

Read All About It!
And of course you know that George Washington was actually born in Texas. But when he told his father that he couldn't lie, he cut down the cherry tree, his father said, "George, if you can't tell a lie, we can't stay in Texas," and they moved to Virginia. My sources say this is a true story.

WhatTheFrog

You have to at least try, that's all I'm saying. If it doesn't work out quite right, have a buddy or chick do the bird for you next year. The main thing is to spend your time with family and/or friends. It's about love and friendship. The (excellent) food thing is really just a bonus to all of this. If you can do it yourself (as you should at least try), that makes it even better.

If I were to be around this year, I'd invite you over to experience what I'm talking about.

WhatTheFrog

That's one take, I guess. Thanks for your input!

HFrog1999

Thanks for the great suggestions. We've got it figured out, I think.

I have ordered a Char-Broil Infrared Cooker - no oil required. We will soak the bird 24 hours, or so, and rub it with oil and add spices. It'll be good.

I’d recommend cooking a practice turkey a week before to try it out if you can. Turkey can be tricky.

tenor.gif