• The KillerFrogs

AP: Parity doesn’t bode well for Big 12 playoff push

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby watched parts of unbeaten Baylor slipping by TCU in triple overtime before he drove to Norman, Oklahoma, where the Sooners survived a scare from Iowa State.

Competition in the Big 12 this season is fierce, unpredictable and fun. Parity makes for good watching. It also presents a quandary about the league’s College Football Playoff chances.

“It makes it more difficult, there isn’t any question about that,” Bowlsby said. “Our teams have to be ready every week.”

Read more at https://www.foxsports.com/college-f...sn-t-bode-well-for-big-12-playoff-push-111419

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby watched parts of unbeaten Baylor slipping by TCU in triple overtime before he drove to Norman, Oklahoma, where the Sooners survived a scare from Iowa State.

Competition in the Big 12 this season is fierce, unpredictable and fun. Parity makes for good watching. It also presents a quandary about the league’s College Football Playoff chances.

“It makes it more difficult, there isn’t any question about that,” Bowlsby said. “Our teams have to be ready every week.”

Read more at https://www.foxsports.com/college-f...sn-t-bode-well-for-big-12-playoff-push-111419
Disagree with his statement "the only way to do it." Uh, the BEST way to do it is to add 2 teams, split the divisions and play a real championship game with two division winners. Big 12 only hurting itself this way. Do not let greed affect the product.

SnoSki

Let's be honest, the conference as a whole is not as great as hoped for. Thought we would be in top two conferences coming in.
I don’t think we are really that bad. It’s the same as it is every year. The teams in then middle beat up on each other while the other conferences play November cupcakes or have division play.

I’m not sure I guess what makes a conference good or not before you see them in bowl games vs other conference teams. if we had 3 undefeated teams and 7 teams at .500 or worse, would that be better? Or is it better to have one undefeated team, 1 pretty good team, 7 .500 ones and bad one?

having only ten teams continues to plague this conference and it’s perception from outsiders. Outsiders don’t look at the round robin and realize someone has to lose. They just see a bunch of middle of the road records and assume we all suck.

H0RNEDFR0G

Should a Big 12 team even be in the conversation this year? We shall see but at the moment I’m leaning no

I think every P5 champ has earned the right to play for a national title. That's the biggest issue with the 4 team CFP format. Every year at least 1 team is being left out. In the past 3 seasons, 2 P5 Conference champs didn't get a chance.

2014 - B12 Champ left out of playoff
2015 - Pac12 Champ left out
2016 - B1G & B12 Champs left out
2017 - B1G & Pac12 Champs left out
2018 - B1G & Pac12 Champs left out

2016 Ohio State and 2017 Alabama were both given a chance to win a national title without even winning their respective Divisions. There is 0 objective criteria in the selection process. Eye test is a code for put whoever we want in the game. We need to have an 8 team playoff before any non P5 champ gets to even think about playing for a NC.

Oklahoma is going to have to beat somebody they've already played to get consideration. If Alabama gets to slide in, without even beating the best team in their division, it's total B.S.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I think every P5 champ has earned the right to play for a national title. That's the biggest issue with the 4 team CFP format. Every year at least 1 team is being left out. In the past 3 seasons, 2 P5 Conference champs didn't get a chance.

2014 - B12 Champ left out of playoff
2015 - Pac12 Champ left out
2016 - B1G & B12 Champs left out
2017 - B1G & Pac12 Champs left out
2018 - B1G & Pac12 Champs left out

2016 Ohio State and 2017 Alabama were both given a chance to win a national title without even winning their respective Divisions. There is 0 objective criteria in the selection process. Eye test is a code for put whoever we want in the game. We need to have an 8 team playoff before any non P5 champ gets to even think about playing for a NC.

Oklahoma is going to have to beat somebody they've already played to get consideration. If Alabama gets to slide in, without even beating the best team in their division, it's total B.S.
I sense Wex coming in hot.

Wexahu

If Alabama gets to slide in, without even beating the best team in their division, it's total B.S.

If at the end of the season Alabama has beaten up on everybody on their schedule except for LSU, and they are being compared against teams with a couple losses and overall less impressive results in their games, I don't think it would be BS at all if they get in. That's kind of the whole point of this thing, take the teams with the best resumes as best as you can measure. Hell, I don't want Alabama to make it either, please Mississippi State or Auburn, take them down. But I don't want Alabama to be left out just because everyone is sick of them either. You seem to have already made up your mind that they should be left out which I don't understand.

Disagree with his statement "the only way to do it." Uh, the BEST way to do it is to add 2 teams, split the divisions and play a real championship game with two division winners. Big 12 only hurting itself this way. Do not let greed affect the product.
Bob Bowlsby may be a great human but the persona I see is repellent

Froggish

College football needs to realign into 6ea 10 team divisions. Everyone play round robin..All Champs make the playoff along with 4 at large teams..4 at large play there way into the final 2 spots of an 8
Team playoff..You could do the same thing right now with the 5 conference champs and 6 at large having 3 play in games..3 winners round out the 8. 11 teams get their chance at a Natty..

Wexahu

College football needs to realign into 6ea 10 team divisions. Everyone play round robin..All Champs make the playoff along with 4 at large teams..4 at large play there way into the final 2 spots of an 8
Team playoff..You could do the same thing right now with the 5 conference champs and 6 at large having 3 play in games..3 winners round out the 8. 11 teams get their chance at a Natty..

The ironic thing is people think this will give more teams a chance to win a National Title. Do this and the odds of a non-blue blood actually winning a title goes from slim to basically none. The more teams included in a playoff, the less chance an underdog wins it. Just watch and see what happens when they expand it. The Alabamas and the Ohio States will be laughing their asses off.

Froggish

The ironic thing is people think this will give more teams a chance to win a National Title. Do this and the odds of a non-blue blood actually winning a title goes from slim to basically none. The more teams included in a playoff, the less chance an underdog wins it. Just watch and see what happens when they expand it. The Alabamas and the Ohio States will be laughing their asses off.

I could care less if it ever gets expanded other than it will be entertaining to watch. While you are probably right, let’s not pretend an underdog stands a chance now...They don’t

Wexahu

I could care less if it ever gets expanded other than it will be entertaining to watch. While you are probably right, let’s not pretend an underdog stands a chance now...They don’t

I’m not sure they do, you’re right. They did 10 years ago though. Hell, we ended up #2 playing a MWC schedule and beating Wisconsin. BYU, Georgia Tech and Colorado won titles the way they used to do it too. I can’t figure out if people want to go back to that or go to a system which virtually guarantees a blue-blood will win it every single year.

Froggish

I’m not sure they do, you’re right. They did 10 years ago though. Hell, we ended up #2 playing a MWC schedule and beating Wisconsin. BYU, Georgia Tech and Colorado won titles the way they used to do it too. I can’t figure out if people want to go back to that or go to a system which virtually guarantees a blue-blood will win it every single year.

Behind the playoff expansion push are football fans just wanting to see more college football...As you pointed out, the outcomes won’t be any different by expansion, it simply adds more games to get to where we have already arrived. I’m sure there would be some comfort in at least being given a punchers chance

Wexahu

Behind the playoff expansion push are football fans just wanting to see more college football...As you pointed out, the outcomes won’t be any different by expansion, it simply adds more games to get to where we have already arrived. I’m sure there would be some comfort in at least being given a punchers chance

This is the part I don't get. Every P5 team already does have a "punchers chance". All Minnesota and Baylor have to do is win their last three games and there is a 100% chance they are included in the current system. How is that not a puncher's chance? Watch them shoot up the rankings IF they beat the teams remaining on their schedule. They'll jump right past Alabama IF they continue to win.

If you're talking about G5 teams getting a chance, well ok then, but I really don't think the drive to expand the playoffs is about that.

Froggish

This is the part I don't get. Every P5 team already does have a "punchers chance". All Minnesota and Baylor have to do is win their last three games and there is a 100% chance they are included in the current system. How is that not a puncher's chance? Watch them shoot up the rankings IF they beat the teams remaining on their schedule. They'll jump right past Alabama IF they continue to win.

If you're talking about G5 teams getting a chance, well ok then, but I really don't think the drive to expand the playoffs is about that.

I should have said perceived punchers chance...It’s all psychosomatic related..Football fans want to feel their teams are better than their peers and expanding the number of “invitees” allows for more people to feel good about themselves....You and I know that if there were a 12 team playoff this year and for some dumbass reason our 4-8 football team got invited, there would be idiots on this board beating their chest about how much better we are than Baylor and UT..When in reality this is team is not...Reality and Perceived reality are two very different things..People want to expand the playoffs so they can function in a make believe reality where they are somehow better than their conference peers. The invitation is title.

Wexahu

I should have said perceived punchers chance...It’s all psychosomatic related..Football fans want to feel their teams are better than their peers and expanding the number of “invitees” allows for more people to feel good about themselves....You and I know that if there were a 12 team playoff this year and for some dumbass reason our 4-8 football team got invited, there would be idiots on this board beating their chest about how much better we are than Baylor and UT..When in reality this is team is not...Reality and Perceived reality are two very different things..People want to expand the playoffs so they can function in a make believe reality where they are somehow better than their conference peers. The invitation is title.

The perception is that expansion will give more have-nots the chance to compete for a title. The reality is that it will create an even larger divide between the have's and the have-not's. I'm not sure people understand this.

I'd argue that just going from two teams to four has started the trend. Not sure there's ever been this much separation between the top handful of teams and everyone else. Hell, last year the semi-final games weren't even all that competitive.

H0RNEDFR0G

How could you say that when in first CFP poll of the year Penn State was #4 and they got beat by #17?

The point is, the playoff committee has no clue who the top 4 teams are:
  • The #1 rated team in the CFP has NEVER won the CFP
  • The #4 seed CFP team has won 2 times - eliminating #1 in the first game
If the #4 team has won twice out of five playoffs, it's not a stretch to think that a #5 or #6 seed team could've won it.

Look at the NFL:
  • 6 NFL teams that have won the Super Bowl as a wild card, meaning 8 teams were ranked higher than them.
  • 2013 Ravens won it as a 4 seed (6 teams seeded higher)
  • 2012 Giants won it as 4 seed
  • 2011 Packers won it as an 6 seed
  • 2008 Giants won it as a 5 seed
Why do only 4 teams get to play for a FBS title?:

• The NFL has 32 teams 25% get to play for the title
  • NCAA FCS has 126 teams 12.7% get to play for the title
  • Texas 6A has 244 teams 26% get to play for a title

• NCAA FBS has 130 teams, 3% get to play for a title

FBS football teams have a lower opportunity to play for the championship than any other level of football.

Who's more deserving of a national title? A team that was selected by a committee of former athletic director and head coaches, in a dark room, with a poorly defined standard of criteria, and absolutely zero minimum qualifying objectives (i.e. a Conference Championship title)? Or a team that wins all their playoff games?

Let's all remember, our biggest issue with the BCS wasn't the computer, it was that only 2 teams got to play for a title. When people meet in a dark room and nobody knows the agenda and discussions are private... somebody is about to get screwed. I'd take a 4 team BCS computer pick over our current system. At least there would be some transparency.

Edit: The Massey rating had TCU ranked #3 in the country after the last week of the 2014 regular season*

Last edited: