• The KillerFrogs

We are not alone-

JockO de Frog

GP has proven he can make changes but he will not shoot from the hip or make a change on the whim. He encouraged Shultz to look elsewhere because he was making a change with the offense. He removed Anderson from the OC position and he is a long time assistant. He removed Meach as primary play caller after 3 seasons. DM saw the writing on the wall and took the Kansas job in the off season. He finally hired a true OL coach in CT a few seasons ago. Haven’t had a true one after EW retired until CT.

GP will make changes, but not rash ones.

I don’t think we all realized at the time with Bumpas retiring on how big that impact would be.

Not defending GP, just illustrating that GP has made changes, just not scapegoat changes.
And speaking of coaching changes, what has CT done with the OL for him to stick around? I know his reputation was excellent when he came on but I've been totally unimpressed.

Eight

And speaking of coaching changes, what has CT done with the OL for him to stick around? I know his reputation was excellent when he came on but I've been totally unimpressed.

i think ct has done a better job than many think primarily because there has been some issues with injuries and there has been a drop in the talent in the upper classmen this season and last as opposed to the 2015-2017 lines

the one thing i take away from this year and past that gives me hope is they changes they made in the line 2/3 of the way through the year that solidified things which tells me he merely isn't riding with the status quo but looking for answers.

recruiting has been on paper in the 2017-19 classes and this years class looks solid

next year is a big year for ct in that some of the young linemen have to come through.

other thing i don't know is the impact of the scheme and design in the run game.

Froggish

i think ct has done a better job than many think primarily because there has been some issues with injuries and there has been a drop in the talent in the upper classmen this season and last as opposed to the 2015-2017 lines

the one thing i take away from this year and past that gives me hope is they changes they made in the line 2/3 of the way through the year that solidified things which tells me he merely isn't riding with the status quo but looking for answers.

recruiting has been on paper in the 2017-19 classes and this years class looks solid

next year is a big year for ct in that some of the young linemen have to come through.

other thing i don't know is the impact of the scheme and design in the run game.

Good points...A couple of reasons why I think CT still deserves the benefit of the doubt..

1. It’s pretty clear we are getting better bigs in the recruiting pipeline.

2. Cumbie’s System is hurting CT as badly as anyone. It’s a split and stretch run game that makes it very hard for OL to run block in as they are always having to move laterally to find leverage

We need better talent but we also need a more North South scheme..

Eight

Good points...A couple of reasons why I think CT still deserves the benefit of the doubt..

1. It’s pretty clear we are getting better bigs in the recruiting pipeline.

2. Cumbie’s System is hurting CT as badly as anyone. It’s a split and stretch run game that makes it very hard for OL to run block in as they are always having to move laterally to find leverage

We need better talent but we also need a more North South scheme..

agreed and i think the easiest way to say this without calling out some kids who are doing the best they can is not all bigs are suited to a system than asks them to move laterally a pretty good distance some times.

why are we trying to do so then? well, they were recruited for another scheme and trying to make things work with the pieces available to fit the scheme asked.

Froggish

agreed and i think the easiest way to say this without calling out some kids who are doing the best they can is not all bigs are suited to a system than asks them to move laterally a pretty good distance some times.

why are we trying to do so then? well, they were recruited for another scheme and trying to make things work with the pieces available to fit the scheme asked.

We have 3 senior lineman who all playing in a system that plays to their weaknesses. One of the reason for our late season success last year is that our inability to throw the ball forced us to go to a downhill running game. That played as big a role in our season turnaround, and consequently OL looking decent, as anything. Power running schemes are always easier on an OL

Eight

We have 3 senior lineman who all playing in a system that plays to their weaknesses. One of the reason for our late season success last year is that our inability to throw the ball forced us to go to a downhill running game. That played as big a role in our season turnaround, and consequently OL looking decent, as anything. Power running schemes are always easier on an OL

there is a difference between asking a kid to stretch a bit in their role versus asking a kid to do something that puts them in a position they won't be successful

good friend who is a long time high school offensive line coach as told me one reason he has stayed with his current head coach for so long is one of their over riding principles in their program is they are not going to ask kids to do something schematically they can't do and set the kids up for failure.

they will find another way to get it done and if that means change the scheme then you make the changes regardless if that is how you have always done something