• The KillerFrogs

TCU 360: Tuition to exceed $50,000 moving forward

steelfrog

Tier 1
I completely agree with you, but these statements put together are a little funny/ironic

Understood. Steel has made a commitment to the kids -- Steel will get them degrees with no or minimal debt so long as they do the right things. One of which is not making stupid decisions about colleges. They've all got/had a certain amount in those 504 accounts, and beyond that they know they'd have to get loans, of which Steel will sign none of. After graduating. Steel's obligations to them from a financial standpoint are TERMINATED!

Does this mean that they have not been able to go to certain schools because there's not enough money/willingness to incur loans? Absolutely. Are they getting great educations? Yes. Do they have loans? No.

The 2 at A&M are in the engineering school and the one that was at UT got a CS degree and an art degree. Now has great job, totally independent and debt free at 23.

Happiness is adult children with jobs.

4 down 2 to go...

Pharm Frog

so you complain about the cost of tuition and then don't understand why anyone would contribute to the initiative to increase the endowment in order to lower the actual cost of attendance for the average student?

That is brilliant...

I haven’t issued one complaint about tuition as it is, was, or will be in the future. Quite frankly, I don’t care. School can and will continue to do whatever it wants to do as long as it can.

Pharm Frog

Pretty much every important aspect of my life I can trace back to my decision to attend and graduate from TCU. That’s why I consider it and why I donate.

Then you should get thanked for your generosity. I won’t even consider it because it appears that they don’t need my generosity. They can just get the current crop of students to subsidize it. Got no problem with that.

Pharm Frog

Understood. Steel has made a commitment to the kids -- Steel will get them degrees with no or minimal debt so long as they do the right things. One of which is not making stupid decisions about colleges. They've all got/had a certain amount in those 504 accounts, and beyond that they know they'd have to get loans, of which Steel will sign none of. After graduating. Steel's obligations to them from a financial standpoint are TERMINATED!

Does this mean that they have not been able to go to certain schools because there's not enough money/willingness to incur loans? Absolutely. Are they getting great educations? Yes. Do they have loans? No.

The 2 at A&M are in the engineering school and the one that was at UT got a CS degree and an art degree. Now has great job, totally independent and debt free at 23.

Happiness is adult children with jobs.

4 down 2 to go...

As much as I hate to admit this, I’m right about where steel is on this philosophy. Son graduated in August. No debt. $60K starter job and depending on how well he does they will pay for the next level degree. Debt-free, engaged, living in an apartment now in Lewisville with a baseball buddy from his college. Daughter graduates in May. Will not only be debt free but is banking money by working two jobs while doing a 16 hour a week internship. Has scholarship offer to attend law school which doesn’t thrill me but also has a full-ride available to pick up a Masters in Social Work (doesn’t exactly thrill me either but it’s her gig).

Moose Stuff

Did the Chancellor really say in the article that students want more Physciatrists in the Health Center? Maybe because they realized the just signed student loan papers for $63,000 a year to get an undergraduate degree.

I’d wake up in the middle of the night with a full blown panic attack EVERY NIGHT if I knew I was staring down that kind of debt upon graduation.

Last edited:

McFroggin

It’s sad that a TCU degree doesn’t make economic sense anymore. There will be talks as my kids grow about how college is a business decision, not a fun decision. Obviously fun can be had, but you attend school for a reason - get a quality cost-efficient education.

With what I pay a plumber these days, I honestly wouldn’t be disappointed if my son went that route.

Jackson

“Students can have whatever you want, but somebody’s going to have to pay for it, and students want more of everything every year,” Boschini said. “They want more food options, they want more psychiatrists in the counseling center, they want a bigger Rec Center, and all that costs money.”
If this clown (Boschini) is an example of those making making financial decisions for TCU the school is in serious trouble!

He said having a set rate for incoming first-year students throughout their time at TCU likely isn’t a good solution either.

flyfishingfrog

“Students can have whatever you want, but somebody’s going to have to pay for it, and students want more of everything every year,” Boschini said. “They want more food options, they want more psychiatrists in the counseling center, they want a bigger Rec Center, and all that costs money.”
If this clown (Boschini) is an example of those making making financial decisions for TCU the school is in serious trouble!

He said having a set rate for incoming first-year students throughout their time at TCU likely isn’t a good solution either.
yeah - he has been a disaster so far....

HornedFrog4romLA11

I gave today. I told myself I would once I paid off my student loans. I earned an academic scholarship after my freshman year and I still owed about 40k upon graduating. Saved up for 7 years and paid it all off with the click of a mouse last year. It took a lot of hard work to save it up. Us falling in the academic rankings really bothered me. I understand tuition goes up and if we get our endowment up enough, we can be like other elite schools that give generous financial aid to almost everyone. I am racking up another 40k for a masters at USC now back home in L.A., so here we go again lol. TCU is a special place. I hope we somehow get to that billion dollar goal. I also know the Frogs will bounce back next year. For those that can give, I encourage it. I grew up in south Los Angeles (Inglewood), not the greatest places (The NFL stadium is changing things). I feel lucky to be in a place where I can help some newer frogs out.