• The KillerFrogs

Get To The Scholl Tonight...

Really solid all around game tonight, Frogs shot well, defended well, sure didn’t look like a team with a new roster struggling to find chemistry.

Farabello and Dennis are a PG tandem that I am really liking a lot so far combining for 19 points and 15 assists tonight.
Bane looked like every bit of the scoring machine we need him to be and had great support from Nembhard, Grayer and Samuel. Samuel notched his second double double of the year with 12 points and 12 boards, and Grayer was a rebound shy of his own double double. Nembhard looks way more comfortable this year than he has in the past.

Fuller has off the charts athleticism, dude comes off the bench to give us 15 points 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals, and 2 blocks. Are you not entertained?

Barlow set some nice screens.

Great win.

SuperTFrog

I am normally glass half full guy but I just got back front the game and saw a lot of weaknesses. We sured up the D, but early on it was really bad. I think we have a real depth problem down low. Barlow looked very uninspired out there. We don’t have JD anymore who could bang with big guys when Samuel got in foul trouble. We were pretty sloppy in transition as well (PJ especially).

Bane looked amazing. I don’t think he is going to get 10 open looks at threes like he did tonight but it is clear we are going to do everything possible to get him shots. His pump fake is incredible. I was upper down on RJ but he looked athletic and confident tonight.

This was my first game to watch so we’ll see how the team unfolds. Our conference is just so dang strong and there are no gimmes so we are going to need to be really good to win 9 or 10 game in conference and make the dance.

robbroyy

I am normally glass half full guy but I just got back front the game and saw a lot of weaknesses. We sured up the D, but early on it was really bad. I think we have a real depth problem down low. Barlow looked very uninspired out there. We don’t have JD anymore who could bang with big guys when Samuel got in foul trouble. We were pretty sloppy in transition as well (PJ especially).

Bane looked amazing. I don’t think he is going to get 10 open looks at threes like he did tonight but it is clear we are going to do everything possible to get him shots. His pump fake is incredible. I was upper down on RJ but he looked athletic and confident tonight.

This was my first game to watch so we’ll see how the team unfolds. Our conference is just so dang strong and there are no gimmes so we are going to need to be really good to win 9 or 10 game in conference and make the dance.
The biggest difference from last year to this year is we have more than just Bane and Noi who can shoot. There’s at least 5 guys who can knock down open looks. Test will be to see if this holds up against Big 12 competition.

Last year once Fisher left, teams could sit in the paint on Robinson and Miller. Yes they may have made a few but percentage wise it was smarter to help on others and leave those two on perimeter by themselves.

SuperTFrog

The biggest difference from last year to this year is we have more than just Bane and Noi who can shoot. There’s at least 5 guys who can knock down open looks. Test will be to see if this holds up against Big 12 competition.

Last year once Fisher left, teams could sit in the paint on Robinson and Miller. Yes they may have made a few but percentage wise it was smarter to help on others and leave those two on perimeter by themselves.
Agreed. One other huge positive is how many guys are getting minutes. Last year we were paper thin all year and even worse when everyone kept leaving. I think Jaime is trying to spread out the PT to make sure we have tons of bodies that can give us minutes.

Rose Bowl

Other than the slow start the team looked much better tonight than the opener. Need to move the ball consistently and use more penetration to get easy baskets. Once we turned up the on the ball pressure good things started happening. Plenty of good things tonight and time to get better. Very optimistic performance.

Genbukan

Nice upgrade from last year on athleticism alone. However, as mentioned, size is going to be a concern come big xii games. Barlow has size but just does not seem to have a grasp for the game.

Not sold on our PG's yet. Farabello hasn't been challenged and has looked a little timid. Dennis...decent guy for the 8th spot but i haven't seen anything that leads me to believe he will be an above average PG in conference

Getting Smith back in a few weeks should help. Another athletic guy with some size who can drain it from long distance.

Gotta comment on Fuller. Ranking seem to value him right on athleticism for sure. Guy is quick and explosive and is a scoring machine going to the hoop. He has a funky high rainbow outside shot....it will be interesting to see what % he ends up shooting. He is still out of control but he is the one "unknown" on the team that could end up making a game winning difference.

All in all, though 2 games against soft opposition i can't argue with the coaches picking us last. We have a ton of new players and some big holes to fill. But this is an athletic group that, if they come together on the defensive end, will steal some games they weren't supposed to. And as we saw tonight if they get hot they are going to be tough. I can see this team fighting for 7th ...which means an invite to the big dance.

PO Frog

I like the offense much better than 100% high pick and rolls we’ve run for two straight years. Ball movement was excellent tonight I thought. Maybe it was what we had to work with and it wasn’t his fault, but ARob was really tough to watch.

netty2424

Nice upgrade from last year on athleticism alone. However, as mentioned, size is going to be a concern come big xii games. Barlow has size but just does not seem to have a grasp for the game.

Not sold on our PG's yet. Farabello hasn't been challenged and has looked a little timid. Dennis...decent guy for the 8th spot but i haven't seen anything that leads me to believe he will be an above average PG in conference

Getting Smith back in a few weeks should help. Another athletic guy with some size who can drain it from long distance.

Gotta comment on Fuller. Ranking seem to value him right on athleticism for sure. Guy is quick and explosive and is a scoring machine going to the hoop. He has a funky high rainbow outside shot....it will be interesting to see what % he ends up shooting. He is still out of control but he is the one "unknown" on the team that could end up making a game winning difference.

All in all, though 2 games against soft opposition i can't argue with the coaches picking us last. We have a ton of new players and some big holes to fill. But this is an athletic group that, if they come together on the defensive end, will steal some games they weren't supposed to. And as we saw tonight if they get hot they are going to be tough. I can see this team fighting for 7th ...which means an invite to the big dance.
Agree on all points. The inside depth is the biggest concern so it looks like we’re going to live or die behind the arch again. There will be nights we roll with everything falling, and nights where they can’t hit anything. That’s how that style of offense works.

Hard to say what this team has after playing two games against lesser competition. If I had to guess, they’ll win a few but I wouldn't expect this team to shake anything up at the top of the conference.

Moose Stuff

If you couldn’t come away from last night with an optimistic take you probably aren’t a glass half full guy. I don’t know if we’re good but I saw enough from guys like Fuller/Farabello/Grayer/Dennis to compliment the 3 returnees to think we could be OK. If Bane plays like this all year, perhaps more than OK.

Really solid all around game tonight, Frogs shot well, defended well, sure didn’t look like a team with a new roster struggling to find chemistry.

Farabello and Dennis are a PG tandem that I am really liking a lot so far combining for 19 points and 15 assists tonight.
Bane looked like every bit of the scoring machine we need him to be and had great support from Nembhard, Grayer and Samuel. Samuel notched his second double double of the year with 12 points and 12 boards, and Grayer was a rebound shy of his own double double. Nembhard looks way more comfortable this year than he has in the past.

Fuller has off the charts athleticism, dude comes off the bench to give us 15 points 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals, and 2 blocks. Are you not entertained?

Barlow set some nice screens.

Great win.

I’m more along the lines of Guardian’s take. I thought this was a solid win and I’m pretty optimistic about this team. I think both Bane and Samuel are as good as any in the conference. Bane might be an all time TCU player when all is said and done and Samuel could be one our best all time centers. The other pieces seem to be falling into place and learning their roles- good defense, hitting the open three and driving to the basket when the other team is giving so much attention to the big 2. Agree size is a bit of a concern but Grayer, Fuller and Nembhard all athletic and 6-4 to 6-5 and Bane listed at 6-6. Add in Smith and I think we’ll be OK.

And I like the combo of Dennis and Farabello at point. Totally different styles that should compliment each other. Farabello does need to look for his shot though.

Most important thing to me is the players seem to be bought in. Good effort out there, they seem to know what they are doing and appear to have good camaraderie. This could be the type of team to really grow. I can see why Dixon is fairly optimistic.

SuperTFrog

If you couldn’t come away from last night with an optimistic take you probably aren’t a glass half full guy. I don’t know if we’re good but I saw enough from guys like Fuller/Farabello/Grayer/Dennis to compliment the 3 returnees to think we could be OK. If Bane plays like this all year, perhaps more than OK.
Bane didn’t have a guy within 5 feet of him on 90% of his threes. He won’t be open like that come big 12 play. I hope you are right because I love watching Frogs b-ball these days almost as much as football.

Big Frog II

Louisiana is not a bad team, so I was encouraged. We also have to remember how many new faces we have on this team. It will take a while for all of them to work together for an entire game. As someone mentioned, it's nice to have multiple scoring threats as opposed to just a few. Do hope the transfer gets eligible to provide some more height.

CountryFrog

Bane didn’t have a guy within 5 feet of him on 90% of his threes. He won’t be open like that come big 12 play. I hope you are right because I love watching Frogs b-ball these days almost as much as football.
Definitely agree with what you're saying about Bane. No way are Big 12 teams going to let him single handedly take them apart if there aren't other legit options on the floor to worry about.

The thing is, though, it's still WAY too early to have any handle on how good all these new guys are and how they will come together as a team before conference play starts. So, while there are certainly things to be concerned about with all the unknowns, there's really no reason to be pessimistic about anything at this point. This is the ultimate "wait and see" season with basically a totally new roster.