• The KillerFrogs

O.K. So we fire Cumbie. Then what?

Eight

This is a really good question. I don't have an answer for you but it's a good question. I can guess as to some reasons that I think might be the problem but it's only that. My first guess is that we have just missed too often on recruits at this position and the players are, with a few exceptions like Niang, players who have some significant weaknesses in their games. As the year goes along and DC's get film, they start to exploit those weaknesses and they are slow to adjust and adapt to what teams are doing. How many years have we seen the line be pretty good to start the season, bad in the middle of the season, and then get better toward the end?

I suspect another reason is that the line pretty much has to play as a unit and the degree to which we cannot keep players healthy and are constantly plugging a player here, moving a player there, takes its toll on continuity. For some reason, there seems to be a very negative reaction to those who question our S&C program but the number of injuries and the fact that these guys are very large but get muscled around by programs like ISU and KSU suggests to me that something is lacking in the that department.

i mentioned in my response above that the results from the frogs 2013-2015 recruiting classes weren't good and the overall physical talent isn't the same in this line as the 2016 and 2017 lines

agree on the changing on players hurts the development of cohesion in the line play and there does seem to be communication breakdowns

not sure why the frogs have had issues with physical defensive fronts this year, but they had the same s&c staff in 2017 when they were a very physical unit.

Ron Swanson

If a receiver can’t catch now then you can take it to the bank he couldn’t catch in HS, so while I think a good WR coach could help with that I’m also much more likely to blame the people who recruited the kid in the first place.
I don’t know, I watched Josh Doctson and Jeremy Kerley go from being two of the most sure-handed guys ever in college to struggling in the league to bring balls in. With Kerley specifically I remember him struggling on fielding punts early on, and he was incredible at fielding punts in college.

asleep003

Any more Jimmy Youngs out there? ?! That group of WRs could block too...

Which brings me to the horrable job Jet did protecting Max on that crucial Sack. Luper needs to teach all the RBs to block for/ protect the QB.... just as they would have the OL do for them.

Pharm Frog

Any more Jimmy Youngs out there? ?! That group of WRs could block too...

Which brings me to the horrable job Jet did protecting Max on that crucial Sack. Luper needs to teach all the RBs to block for/ protect the QB.... just as they would have the OL do for them.

Or....don't put DA back there on 3rd down in obvious passing situations UNLESS you plan to use him on a screen pass in which case still don't put him in and use Sewo instead.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I don’t know, I watched Josh Doctson and Jeremy Kerley go from being two of the most sure-handed guys ever in college to struggling in the league to bring balls in. With Kerley specifically I remember him struggling on fielding punts early on, and he was incredible at fielding punts in college.
That's because of the position coach at the new NFL franchise to which they arrived said, "Yeah, I know you can catch, but this is the RIGHT way..." They then ceased to be able to catch.

Some coaches cannot abide the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." No matter how good a player may be, there's always room for improvement. However, it takes a really good teacher to take what is there and hone it to a finer edge, as opposed to sticking the blade back into the fire and starting over.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So, resolved: We are dealing with a lot of crap.

Issues noted on this thread:

1.) Lack of execution of basic fundamentals.

2.) Lack of development of recruits' skills.

3.) An inordinate number of misses in recruiting.

Those are the basics. Downstream, these issues manifest themselves as what we're seeing on the field. Catching is a fundamental. Blocking is a fundamental. Tackling is a fundamental.* From those shaky foundations we get the unreliable edifice of the current offense, liable to fall apart at the first strong breeze.

The reason I titled the post as I did is to point out that the rot goes deeper than any one man. There is a root problem right here in River City: Complacency. I have come to believe that results are slipping because there's a lot of guys not worried about their job security. Additionally, there's a scapegoat about to go that'll give some of the weaker links a few more years on the gravy train.

There is no possibility of GMFP not having come to this conclusion some time ago. He is not blind, nor is he stupid. Back in 2013, there was a lot of snarling and gnashing of teeth over some perceived dead wood in the coaching ranks. Some of the older posters pointed out that GMFP wasn't dealing with something like an old dishwasher you get rid of if it isn't getting your dishes clean, he's dealing with friends and colleagues he has been with for 10-15 years or more. Their wives are friends. Their kids went to school together. Houses. Mortgages. Etcetera. You don't just call individuals like that into your office and heave them out of your life. (Well, not unless you're a sociopath. There are numerous sociopaths in the Collegiate coaching ranks...) I cannot help but think that Gary the man has been holding back on such "changes" for these very reasons. His career up to TCU had been a nomadic life of uncertainty and biting thrift. The last few years have been near-idyllic ones from a job security position. Now, the pressures of the Big Time are being felt, and the Young Guys are chewing on his ass. He knows he has to step it up. Some of his old buddies are clearly not up to it. GMFP has some extremely hard decisions to make.

LeagueCityFrog

I'll point out that when OU got to the point in the 1950s to mid 1980s where Gary was in 2014 and 2015, OU doubled down on what made them great and had an identity on offense about who they were and what the standard of OU football was to be expected when they took the field. TCU Football has the financial support to win a national championship now. I think if Gary fixes his lack of production at defensive end, cleans house on dead coaching weight and replaces them with Gary type vocal personalities in their 30s and early 40s, and makes a bold move on an offensive coordinator, he has everything else he needs in 2020 to win a Big XII championship including OU, Iowa State, and Okie State coming to The Carter. Coach P still calls an awesome defensive game plan and is still on his game.

Go Frogs...Beat Tech this weekend!

Tumbleweed

I truly don't know so I'll ask, can you become tenured as a coach?

Some of our coaches are close to retirement and if they go, what financially happens to them and their possible future employment. You laugh at this post but this is a concern that Patterson has. There's an obligation factor here that Patterson feels responsible for.*

That is a discussion many coaches have. Meaning if I can get on at TCU and Patterson, I can count on steady employment for a good length of time.

I get it, a coach wants to provide for the family in length and dollars. ie: ck the number of years at TCU with some. To me that's a good trait to have as a HC but that 'one' fact can and will alter a program.

This is just one reason why Patterson will not retire soon. there are other reasons too.

Froggish

Interesting comment on a Podcast from another TCU site. Podcaster stated that a contact at Arkansas has stated that Chad Morris would be interested in a TCU OC job. Stated they could see a Co-OC situation with Cumbie and Morris.....I could get behind that.

Frog-in-law1995

Interesting comment on a Podcast from another TCU site. Podcaster stated that a contact at Arkansas has stated that Chad Morris would be interested in a TCU OC job. Stated they could see a Co-OC situation with Cumbie and Morris.....I could get behind that.

Which coach leaves?

4th. down

So, resolved: We are dealing with a lot of crap.

Issues noted on this thread:

1.) Lack of execution of basic fundamentals.

2.) Lack of development of recruits' skills.

3.) An inordinate number of misses in recruiting.

Those are the basics. Downstream, these issues manifest themselves as what we're seeing on the field. Catching is a fundamental. Blocking is a fundamental. Tackling is a fundamental.* From those shaky foundations we get the unreliable edifice of the current offense, liable to fall apart at the first strong breeze.

The reason I titled the post as I did is to point out that the rot goes deeper than any one man. There is a root problem right here in River City: Complacency. I have come to believe that results are slipping because there's a lot of guys not worried about their job security. Additionally, there's a scapegoat about to go that'll give some of the weaker links a few more years on the gravy train.

There is no possibility of GMFP not having come to this conclusion some time ago. He is not blind, nor is he stupid. Back in 2013, there was a lot of snarling and gnashing of teeth over some perceived dead wood in the coaching ranks. Some of the older posters pointed out that GMFP wasn't dealing with something like an old dishwasher you get rid of if it isn't getting your dishes clean, he's dealing with friends and colleagues he has been with for 10-15 years or more. Their wives are friends. Their kids went to school together. Houses. Mortgages. Etcetera. You don't just call individuals like that into your office and heave them out of your life. (Well, not unless you're a sociopath. There are numerous sociopaths in the Collegiate coaching ranks...) I cannot help but think that Gary the man has been holding back on such "changes" for these very reasons. His career up to TCU had been a nomadic life of uncertainty and biting thrift. The last few years have been near-idyllic ones from a job security position. Now, the pressures of the Big Time are being felt, and the Young Guys are chewing on his ass. He knows he has to step it up. Some of his old buddies are clearly not up to it. GMFP has some extremely hard decisions to make.

Very well thought out IMO, and is really the current State of the Union as to where we are and how we got there.

THE question in everyone's mind, will GP pull the trigger? If we make a toilet bowl game, probably not.

Wexahu

Very well thought out IMO, and is really the current State of the Union as to where we are and how we got there.

THE question in everyone's mind, will GP pull the trigger? If we make a toilet bowl game, probably not.

We are going to have some significant changes in the coaching staff on the offensivee side of the ball no matter what happens in the next three (or two) games, I'm almost 100% confident in that. I would be very surprised if the overhaul isn't at least on the level of what happened after the 2013 season.

Eight

Burns got to be thinking of hanging it up, Move Anderson to Analyst and boom position created

you know, it is okay to have more than a couple of analyst on either side of the ball, heck some teams actually have analyst for position groups but why think outside the box on this.

4th. down

We are going to have some significant changes in the coaching staff on the offensivee side of the ball no matter what happens in the next three (or two) games, I'm almost 100% confident in that. I would be very surprised if the overhaul isn't at least on the level of what happened after the 2013 season.

Wex, do you KNOW something?

Ron Swanson

You are a lot more confident in that than I am

Froggish

you know, it is okay to have more than a couple of analyst on either side of the ball, heck some teams actually have analyst for position groups but why think outside the box on this.
In my opinion if you aren’t bringing in a guy who can help on game day with play calling then you are just patch working this thing