• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson explains why he didn’t go for win at end of regulation

Mean Purple

Translation = my defense crapped the bed when it mattered most starting off when I forgot again that a QB can run with the ball. I need half a minute or so to pout
His D kept a balanced baylor offense out of the endzone for 4 full quarters. AND stopped bu from getting the 2 point conversion in the 3rd OT. His defense, considering missing players, was great.
Considering most of the free world thinks the refs did not have it conclusive to overturn the Touchdown by Max, can't really complain there. Can complain about the offensive play calling.

Mean Purple

This in no way proves any of that. The head coach in every game is in charge of deciding how to situationally handle this type of stuff. You can hate the decision (I certainly did) and you can believe whatever you want about Patterson limiting the offense but THIS specific situation in no way proves what level Patterson is limiting anything. This is 100% a head coach decision on every single team. No OC is making the call on how to handle that.
Exactly. Also, if Cumbie was not in charge of his offensive strategy, GP would not have to come down the sideline and chew him out, call a timout, etc. when Cumbie calls bad plays in the red zone.

Mean Purple

Different circumstances. The end of the first half and the end of regulation aren't even the same. Do you know how much GP would have been roasted if TCU had thrown an interception on that last drive and Baylor had kicked a field goal?
Fair consideration.
With certain rcvrs routinely running the wrong route, including the supposed 1st rounder, it would mean Max would have to throw at the sideline and high and hope our rcvr goes up and gets it.
The sad part is how other teams have offenses that can work the sideline like that. Our coaching has hampered that greatly.

Lone Frog

I hear what you're saying, Gary. And even though I'm between positions at the moment and would truly love that $5M salary, I wouldn't take it. I couldn't come close to doing your job and I wouldn't like to see my Frogs have a 1-11 record (I believe I could probably coach us to a win over a weak FCS team).

However, since I need a job, I have a counter proposal. Pay me $500K/year and I'll sit in the booth and let you know when a fake punt is coming.

PurpleBlood87

Fair consideration.
With certain rcvrs routinely running the wrong route, including the supposed 1st rounder, it would mean Max would have to throw at the sideline and high and hope our rcvr goes up and gets it.
The sad part is how other teams have offenses that can work the sideline like that. Our coaching has hampered that greatly.

Had three timeouts. Could have worked thr middle of field. I think if that run play had broken out to the 35 they might have given it a shot.

WIN

Gary knows. He has a QB that is not very accurate (BTW, he was high and wide to an open receiver on the last play of the game) and a ton of receivers who can't catch. Plus, he has an offensive line who can't block.

If he knows all that then he should expect to put in place a new OC.

smufrogger

I disagree with GP. With 30 seconds left I would prefer to try moving into range for a chance to win with a field goal over beating out an experience Junior QB (with an undefeated team) in an overtime shoot out using a true freshman quarterback.
Or at least a hail Mary throw in the final seconds

frogs9497

However, since I need a job, I have a counter proposal. Pay me $500K/year and I'll sit in the booth and let you know when a fake punt is coming.

tenor.gif