• The KillerFrogs

The Receiver Problem

LSU Game Attendee

Sewo didn't drop it - throw was too high/fast
major-league-fans.gif

y2kFrog

I think it all boils down to the guys on offense don’t know what they should be doing a good bit of the time. One of Cumbie’s biggest problem is he just can’t teach what is supposed to be going on to the players.

Westsider

Late throws, bad velocity, inaccuracy, and bad reads are the problem. Looking forward to getting those fixed in the off-season. Gotta grow em up and they’ll be fine.

4th. down

As long as the O-line can't get it done up front, the receivers don't have time to run a route/get open, and the QB has no time to read progressions, set his feet, and deliver an accurate pass. Watching other games with other teams the difference is alarming...it almost seems our offense is playing against 18 defenders on every play.

Relic, that's exactly what I've been saying and Max won't last if this continues.

Big Frog II

Our running game which should have been really good this year is horrendous. Our receivers can't get open. Playing calling is unimaginative. The whole thing is a disaster.

HFrog12

Where is our glue receiver? The receiver we can rely on to catch the key 3rd downs. It seems like in years' past, we had people we could rely on. Maybe they weren't the fastest or most athletic but we had people who could get open and catch the ball. The closest receiver we had to this was Dylan Thomas and scarily, we don't seem to have anyone remotely close to him. I would venture to say that our TEs Wells and Lynn are our best substitute option for this right now.

But this still doesn't address how we arrived at this point? Maybe you could make the argument we have a freshman QB and we had 3 receivers (Barber, Thomas, and Barkley) injured who would be that guy. But even so, at this point in the season, shouldn't we have someone emerging even if it is a walk-on? Where is that receiver we can point to that says the future will be brighter as he just needs more chances? Who is that receiver that will grow along with Duggan?

What is the reason we don't seem to have that person this year? Recruiting failures? Coaching failures? Is that player on our team right now and we just aren't playing him for more athletic players? I can understand us having trouble at finding players for certain positions because of high demand and limited players, but I find it very hard to believe there aren't plenty of Texas high school football players every year that could fill this receiver glue role.

What is this Barkley you speak of?

VA Froggie

Question. Someone help me. If I am correct Anderson carried the ball maybe six times by halftime, hard to understand talent like that with so few touches......

froginmn

Correct...it was almost a complete whiff. I he had just dropped it instead of having it go through both hands virtually untouched it wouldn’t have been picked.
Wrong.

It would have made it a much easier pick. The deflection caused the DB to have to reach up to catch it.

The pass from seven yards away was thrown hot and at the top of Sewo's reach.

Bad pass.

froginmn

Too high??? SMH.
SMH?

So you would coach the QB, when flushed on 1st and 10 in our end, to throw a pass with high velocity from 7 yards away a foot and a half above the head of a power running back?

We might have won the game if the QB doesn't make that throw. Stop blaming the RB for the QBs mistake.

helcap

Wrong.

It would have made it a much easier pick. The deflection caused the DB to have to reach up to catch it.

The pass from seven yards away was thrown hot and at the top of Sewo's reach.

Bad pass.
In another game I was watching this week end there was a very similar play and the color analyst, and ex QB, commented that you should never throw a ball high to an RB. The reason was that they wear bigger shoulder pads than wide receivers, and so have trouble reaching up above shoulder level.

tcudoc

In another game I was watching this week end there was a very similar play and the color analyst, and ex QB, commented that you should never throw a ball high to an RB. The reason was that they wear bigger shoulder pads than wide receivers, and so have trouble reaching up above shoulder level.
Same rule applies when throwing to a T. Rex...pretty standard really.

Moose Stuff

SMH?

So you would coach the QB, when flushed on 1st and 10 in our end, to throw a pass with high velocity from 7 yards away a foot and a half above the head of a power running back?

We might have won the game if the QB doesn't make that throw. Stop blaming the RB for the QBs mistake.

So our guys can only catch perfect passes? If it hits you in BOTH hands without jumping it’s on you. I’m not claiming it was the best pass ever thrown.

Edit..... the question I asked was probably dumb. Of course that’s all they can catch.

Mean Purple

Compare the seasons where it was the first for the qb to start since 2016. (and how jacked up is it that we are on 3.5 starting qb's in 4 seasons???)
The unit as a whole dropped after 2016. Really dropped last year (and Reagor had to be super man to make up for it). Losting KT hurt last year, but as a whole, numbers have been dropping.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-christian/2016.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-christian/2018.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-christian/2019.html

Edit: What I am offering here is it might have something to do with who is coaching and how they are coaching rcvrs.

WIN

I think it all boils down to the guys on offense don’t know what they should be doing a good bit of the time. One of Cumbie’s biggest problem is he just can’t teach what is supposed to be going on to the players.

There is a lack of mental toughness it takes to be winners. Coaching is to blame.