• The KillerFrogs

"The call of a touchdown is under review." (ring ring)

Dogfrog

You don't have nearly enough tinfoil to be in this thread.

Just a theory. It’s not a conspiracy IMO. I’m sure it’s never discussed. I’m sure refs are professional, love what they do, and they are conference employees. It’s only human nature for employees to be paranoid about making a mistake that could cost their employer millions in post season $$$. I would never call it planned or purposeful. It’s just being careful to err on the side of what’s best for the conference. A meeting at the conference office about the call you got wrong that cost the conference millions can’t be pleasant. I believe we have likely benefitted from this during our great seasons.

YA

Well then, apparently I was sweating the replay call for no reason. It was clear he got his hand down before his foot hit out of bounds, but it was bang-bang (based on what was shown on the Jumbotron) whether the forearm was down before the foot.
How does that square with the fumble that reagor had in the Texas game? It takes more than a hand.

Wexahu

Just a theory. It’s not a conspiracy IMO. I’m sure it’s never discussed. I’m sure refs are professional, love what they do, and they are conference employees. It’s only human nature for employees to be paranoid about making a mistake that could cost their employer millions in post season $$$. I would never call it planned or purposeful. It’s just being careful to err on the side of what’s best for the conference. A meeting at the conference office about the call you got wrong that cost the conference millions can’t be pleasant. I believe we have likely benefitted from this during our great seasons.

I simply don't believe this is how it works. And I refuse to believe we've benefitted from that kind of thinking in the past. If I was an official and the subject of a decision "costing a conference millions of dollars" came up in any way, shape or form at a meeting in a conference office in a review of my officiating, I'd be done with it. People just need to accept the fact that sometimes calls go your way and sometimes they don't. We had about 5 chances to put that game away late prior to that play (some aided by officials calling flags on Baylor) and just were never able to take advantage.

I simply don't believe this is how it works. And I refuse to believe we've benefitted from that kind of thinking in the past. If I was an official and the subject of a decision "costing a conference millions of dollars" came up in any way, shape or form at a meeting in a conference office in a review of my officiating, I'd be done with it. People just need to accept the fact that sometimes calls go your way and sometimes they don't. We had about 5 chances to put that game away late prior to that play (some aided by officials calling flags on Baylor) and just were never able to take advantage.

I think this is naive. College football is a business to make money.

Dogfrog

Re the conference meeting I said IF you got it wrong. There is not a human being alive that doesn’t have a subconscious part of their brain that isn’t forced to make nuanced judgement calls when it could go either way.

berryfrog95

^ Two were false starts....hard to alter those calls as they happen in plain sight.

The PI on us should’ve been holding as we tugged a Jersey (before ball in air) for 10 yards and not PI for 15.....5 yards was huge for the 51 yard FG (maybe irony or maybe to give Baylor as many yards as possible, who knows)

asleep003

That’s right. Game was over right there if they wanted it to be.
There was no angle that showed definitively his foot out.... So was there another angle that wasn't shown on the Tron/TV … think not

So it makes a difference whether it's the head official on the field or the B12 official on the line or both jointly.... that makes the final decision based on video.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I was at the game and haven’t watched the replay, so I don’t know what the commentators said. Is it just the hand that has to be down, or does it have to be a forearm/elbow? Could you just drag a fingertip and that counts?

We were debating it in the stands and weren’t sure.
A hand equals a foot.

Wexahu

Re the conference meeting I said IF you got it wrong. There is not a human being alive that doesn’t have a subconscious part of their brain that isn’t forced to make nuanced judgement calls when it could go either way.

Yes, I think that's probably right, although it's impossible to prove. They might be subconsciously influenced by a coach they either like or hate, crowd noise, a bad memory of some previous thing that happened, or any number of about a thousand things. The bottom line though is I'm 100% sure the main thing they want to do is get the call right. That's their goal. They don't get to the level they are at any other way.

And people are acting like this was a game-deciding call. It only could of been because our incompetence in getting the ball in the end zone from the 3 yard line in five tries. We had a first down from the 3 yard line, they stopped us but they threw a flag on Baylor to give us first down at the 1 or 1.5. Then we spit the bit. I doubt "conference money" even subconsciously goes through a refs mind in that situation on Duggan's run because at that point everyone figures we score eventually anyway.

Look at the subject title in this thread. It's an absolutely ridiculous theory and some people think there is some merit to it. Embarrassing.

Dogfrog

Yes, I think that's probably right, although it's impossible to prove. They might be subconsciously influenced by a coach they either like or hate, crowd noise, a bad memory of some previous thing that happened, or any number of about a thousand things. The bottom line though is I'm 100% sure the main thing they want to do is get the call right. That's their goal. They don't get to the level they are at any other way.

And people are acting like this was a game-deciding call. It only could of been because our incompetence in getting the ball in the end zone from the 3 yard line in five tries. We had a first down from the 3 yard line, they stopped us but they threw a flag on Baylor to give us first down at the 1 or 1.5. Then we spit the bit. I doubt "conference money" even subconsciously goes through a refs mind in that situation on Duggan's run because at that point everyone figures we score eventually anyway.

Look at the subject title in this thread. It's an absolutely ridiculous theory and some people think there is some merit to it. Embarrassing.

I would say that it is unintentional but if there is a factor that is a subconscious tiebreaker in a decision that could go either way it is $$$. Just my opinion.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

First my OP was in humor/jest. Second confused by your post. The plays inside the 5 happened after the Duggan reversal.

Wexahu

First my OP was in humor/jest. Second confused by your post. The plays inside the 5 happened after the Duggan reversal.

I know they did. That was my point. If the refs wanted Baylor to win they could have taken care of that about 10 other times during the game. That reversal should have been irrelevant, we still had first down at the three. And then after another penalty flag thrown against Baylor a first down at the 1.

CountryFrog

I was at the game and haven’t watched the replay, so I don’t know what the commentators said. Is it just the hand that has to be down, or does it have to be a forearm/elbow? Could you just drag a fingertip and that counts?

We were debating it in the stands and weren’t sure.
Having possession in bounds in college really just requires that any part of your body is in bounds with possession before any part of your body hits out of bounds.

Most people refer to feet/hips/forearms/etc simply because it's highly unusual for the hand to be the very first body part to hit the ground on a catch. But even a facemask would count if it's the first thing to hit and is in bounds.