• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s offense is so bad, it’s going to force Gary Patterson to find a new coordinator

Mean Purple

I dont know what he said but the offense is so predictable that the outcome is negative even if the ball is dropped.

It was so predictable Baylor linebackers were picking up the audibles called by the QB.

When it went in OT I knew it was over as I knew Cumbie could outcoach the competition OC. However some of that lies with the defense too. Got to make the other team kick field goals. Patterson's D didn't step up either except for the two point conversion which was big. I still think Patterson needs help on D too. Although I thought this was the best performance by the D all year long in regulation.
From the article that shows it's an offense problem.
"TCU had plenty of chances to win this game but could not because the offense was just that bad. Bad as in 67 total yards in the second half."

The defense played very well in 4 full quarters. TCU's offense just could not get a TD. Some of that is execution, sure, but seriusly, its just bad.

In overtime, D just came off the field and goes right back out. Play calling on 1 OT for offense was just not so good. Max makes a great play and Hunt makes a greater play. In the third OT, TCU D stops bu from getting 2 point conversion. That is huge.

Then Cumbie goes full Cumbie. Part of which has been pointed out by many here (running to the stacked line - more than once). And part of which easily pointed out by the article. Ball on the 1. Duggan is lined up in the shotgun?

Cumbie has to go.

MadFrog

I think I agree that we need some coaching changes. Our current coaches don't know how to evaluate talent.

We need coaches that can recruit kids that can block, that can catch a football, that know how to run a pass route and get open, that can consistently throw an accurate pass, that know how to return a punt, that know when to fair catch a kickoff, etc, etc, etc. It is clear what we have now is seriously lacking in all of the above. Heck, if Baylor can recruit kids that can do these things, then surely we could also. We need to start dumping coaches now. It will take a few years to get back to where we have been.

Big Frog II

I think I agree that we need some coaching changes. Our current coaches don't know how to evaluate talent.

We need coaches that can recruit kids that can block, that can catch a football, that know how to run a pass route and get open, that can consistently throw an accurate pass, that know how to return a punt, that know when to fair catch a kickoff, etc, etc, etc. It is clear what we have now is seriously lacking in all of the above. Heck, if Baylor can recruit kids that can do these things, then surely we could also. We need to start dumping coaches now. It will take a few years to get back to where we have been.
I agree. Our talent evaluation is currently sub par. We had better talent in the MWC when our ratings were in the 50-60's range than we do now. This goes back to our assistants who are NOT getting the job done.

Froggish

Eye Ball Test ....It’s not scientific. I’ve got No data to hard sale you but my word....

Question: Have you ever seen an offense that has to work as hard as this one over the last 3 years to find positive yards?

Question: Have you ever seen throwing windows as small as what Duggan has had to throw into?

Question: Have you ever seen an offense struggle as often at keeping a QB upright?

This is a poorly schemes offense that is actually be dragged down even further by a coordinator who simply doesn’t understand how to call a game....

That my friends is a recipe for disaster

ticketfrog123

Eye Ball Test ....It’s not scientific. I’ve got No data to hard sale you but my word....

Question: Have you ever seen an offense that has to work as hard as this one over the last 3 years to find positive yards?

Question: Have you ever seen throwing windows as small as what Duggan has had to throw into?

Question: Have you ever seen an offense struggle as often at keeping a QB upright?

This is a poorly schemes offense that is actually be dragged down even further by a coordinator who simply doesn’t understand how to call a game....

it does feel like a first down is a monumental achievement for this offense. Not a knock on the players, but whatever the coaches are doing and drawing up

Wexahu

I’ve never seen a pass offense with less imagination in it’s design, that combined with subpar WR play and you get the mess we have seen this year.

Not sure why you are limiting it to the passing offense. The run offense is arguably more unimaginative. Almost our only variation from the basic zone blocking, RPO handoff or QB keeper is the play where a WR motions in front of the QB before the snap creating that option I guess. It’s like a high school offense, almost as if everything is dumbed down to the nth degree just to avoid making a mistake.

Mean Purple

I agree. Our talent evaluation is currently sub par. We had better talent in the MWC when our ratings were in the 50-60's range than we do now. This goes back to our assistants who are NOT getting the job done.
People get so caught up in stars on players recruited. I agree, we had harder working talent before.
There are a lot of 4 stars out there that, when they get on campus, couldn't play dead in a western.

Tumbleweed

it does feel like a first down is a monumental achievement for this offense. Not a knock on the players, but whatever the coaches are doing and drawing up

We're not void of talent on the field just misused. Why, why, did we spend so much time on Delton instead of working with Duggin? It shouldn't take that long to understand the level of talent on the transfer QB at this level!. When asked about 'who is the leading QB with two weeks before the season starts. Answer: "We don't know yet." Who MADE that decision? And some of the other decisions made during the summer and fall months? Guess we were waiting for lightning bolt to hit Delton. I feel terrible about Delton but the young man was roughed up pretty good by this staff.

AroundWorldFrog

The list of problems with this current program can fill several pages.

Now what is really a big disappointment, WHY did it get this far in the first?
Because there's a crowd that believes TCU alums that love the school and donate their hard earned money to it have no right to say anything.

Sorry, any company that pays their CEO 5M a year and puts out an awful product is open to criticism from their stockholders.

Diehard

I dont know what he said but the offense is so predictable that the outcome is negative even if the ball is dropped.

It was so predictable Baylor linebackers were picking up the audibles called by the QB.

When it went in OT I knew it was over as I knew Cumbie couldn't outcoach the competition OC. However some of that lies with the defense too. Got to make the other team kick field goals. Patterson's D didn't step up either except for the two point conversion which was big. I still think Patterson needs help on D too. Although I thought this was the best performance by the D all year long in regulation.

Respectfully, I don't think its on the D at all.....They played GP football all day. Quite hard to stay motivated when your O is so terrible. They actually held up much longer than one would expect. And oh yeah, Max is a BALLER!

Diehard

Not sure why you are limiting it to the passing offense. The run offense is arguably more unimaginative. Almost our only variation from the basic zone blocking, RPO handoff or QB keeper is the play where a WR motions in front of the QB before the snap creating that option I guess. It’s like a high school offense, almost as if everything is dumbed down to the nth degree just to avoid making a mistake.
Run to the right! Run to the right! Run to the right! Run to the right! Run to the right! Oh, first and goal at the one....Run to the right! Stuffed!! Is this Einstein's definition of insanity or what?

Froggish

People get so caught up in stars on players recruited. I agree, we had harder working talent before.
There are a lot of 4 stars out there that, when they get on campus, couldn't play dead in a western.

People were saying these same things in 2013 and then we get a offensive identity and look like world beaters..I really don’t think we have a talent problem. Maybe in the OL but we are solid every where else...I would wager that if you find the right OC with a strong scheme and a feel for how to call it, you will all the sudden see a group of very talented players.

Mean Purple

His offense spends more time running side to side or even back, then it does getting down the field. Just helps the opposing d sometimes.

Mean Purple

People were saying these same things in 2013 and then we get a offensive identity and look like world beaters..I really don’t think we have a talent problem. Maybe in the OL but we are solid every where else...I would wager that if you find the right OC with a strong scheme and a feel for how to call it, you will all the sudden see a group of very talented players.
Good points. I know some dont agree, but our offensive play calling made more sense when Meach was here. He just knew when it was better to call certain plays.