• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s offense is so bad, it’s going to force Gary Patterson to find a new coordinator

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU’s offense is so bad, it’s going to force Gary Patterson to find a new coordinator

By Big Steaming Pile

TCU fans desperately looking for something to celebrate after its Saturday loss to rival Baylor, know that your team will soon have a new offensive play-caller.

There is no way TCU offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie will survive the offseason to return. One of the most important parts to being a successful college head coach is having a fall guy, and the 2019 TCU Horned Frogs and head coach Gary Patterson have but one candidate.

To tie its game against Baylor and either win on a two-point conversion or send it to a fourth overtime, TCU had first and goal from the Baylor 1-yard line.

“We were at the 1,” guard Cordel Iwaugwu said. “We have to get that. Ain’t no excuses.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article237199788.html#storylink=cpy

robbroyy

While this is the thought of the message board, he just lost any chance of being a source for the program. Saying you have to have a fall guy is just irresponsible to put as a professional. This may be a new low.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Certainly this is how a lot of people feel.

So many what ifs in regulation ... Wells hangs on to the ball in the end zone. Sewo doesn't let a pass zip through his hands into the arms of a Baylor defender. A Patterson team actually stops a fake punt.

Both defenses played very well.

We should have stopped their fourth down play in 2OT.

But that 3rd OT, inside the five twice with first and goal, have three Sewo runs into stacked fronts and then the dreaded corner throw that more times not fails. Then it unraveled. Sonny badly failed us and the team in that situation.

I said a week ago that I believe one way or another we will have a new OC next season and I still feel that way.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

While this is the thought of the message board, he just lost any chance of being a source for the program. Saying you have to have a fall guy is just irresponsible to put as a professional. This may be a new low.

I actually think that’s exactly what someone who has Mac’s job is supposed to do. I think the dude is a crap writer and most of what he puts out is garbage but how is he wrong here?

BigPurple87

TCU’s offense is so bad, it’s going to force Gary Patterson to find a new coordinator

By Big Steaming Pile

TCU fans desperately looking for something to celebrate after its Saturday loss to rival Baylor, know that your team will soon have a new offensive play-caller.

There is no way TCU offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie will survive the offseason to return. One of the most important parts to being a successful college head coach is having a fall guy, and the 2019 TCU Horned Frogs and head coach Gary Patterson have but one candidate.

To tie its game against Baylor and either win on a two-point conversion or send it to a fourth overtime, TCU had first and goal from the Baylor 1-yard line.

“We were at the 1,” guard Cordel Iwaugwu said. “We have to get that. Ain’t no excuses.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article237199788.html#storylink=cpy

Stop posting his articles, we voted

Mean Purple

As much as I hate muck's writing, he is fairly on target with much of this article.
He points out some things that best summarize the problem with Cumbie's offense.

"Even when TCU had the ball at the 1 yard line, Duggan was lined up in the shotgun. The ball was at the 1, but it's snapped 3 to 4 yards away from the line of scrimmage."

Folks who love the new offenses sometimes miss this. Even on 3rd and 1, this is a bad idea.

You put the backs in the back field and qb sneak with a push.

Mean Purple

Not saying for sure, but my guess is muck is being somewhat of a wordsmith there. He says fall guy, but the article is fairly pointing out problems that have been at the heart of the offensive troubles. And they continue. Call him a fall guy, call him not ready to be an OC, call him whatever. Just don't call him back for next year.

I dont know what he said but the offense is so predictable that the outcome is negative even if the ball is dropped.

It was so predictable Baylor linebackers were picking up the audibles called by the QB.

When it went in OT I knew it was over as I knew Cumbie couldn't outcoach the competition OC. However some of that lies with the defense too. Got to make the other team kick field goals. Patterson's D didn't step up either except for the two point conversion which was big. I still think Patterson needs help on D too. Although I thought this was the best performance by the D all year long in regulation.