• The KillerFrogs

NOW it's time to fire Cumbie. No more playing around

Eight

said it before and will say it again, but i don't care if gary brings in an oc who decides to implement the single wing, the double slot, hell the full tight with two tights.

just give the oc the authority to hire whomever he wants as his offensive assistants, make sure the oc can not only design an offense but call plays, and make sure the assistants can and will teach the skills required at their respective skill groups

Pharm Frog

said it before and will say it again, but i don't care if gary brings in an oc who decides to implement the single wing, the double slot, hell the full tight with two tights.

just give the oc the authority to hire whomever he wants as his offensive assistants, make sure the oc can not only design an offense but call plays, and make sure the assistants can and will teach the skills required at their respective skill groups
In other words, ask for GPs resignation?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
From my sadly beer-less perspective, we have a corps of receivers that:
1.) Can't catch a thing.
2.) Can't run a proper route.
3.) Can't block at all.

Now, I am not a football coach. I'm a drunk. Yet, even though I am not a football coach, I believe I can assess the importance of having receivers who can catch. I can also appreciate the ability of a receiver to be in the right place to catch said ball when it goes sailing to a particular spot, and not watching an opposing player do the catching in said spot. And, many were the times when a decently thrown block, or, hell, just getting in the way of a charging DB would have sprung a long run. But, alas...

This blatant inability of practically an entire aspect of our offense to do it's job this far into the season is inexcusable. There is actually a person who is paid to "coach" the receivers. It is painfully evident that he cannot perform the duties to which he has been assigned. His failure to not only bring players up to the level of other skill position personnel directly affects the entire Offensive Unit. We have a Coordinator in charge of the Offense. His inability to correct the obvious shortcomings in his position coach undermined his own area of responsibility.

Now, I do not know whether Sonny Cumbie can go to GMFP and say, "GMFP, the WR coach you saddled me with is a moron. These guys can't catch the clap in a Manila whorehouse. Can you please assign him to lawn mowing or topiary arrangements instead of making me look like an incompetent buffoon?" without GMFP pointing out that said WR coach is an old buddy and he isn't moving him anywhere. GMFP keeps the guy around for a reason, although after watching the positions he "coaches" consistently being the lowest performers on the squad I cannot see why.

Sonny Cumbie has his share of faults, to be sure. This thread is wonderfully illustrative of them. In technicolor. However, if the Golden Raspberry must be awarded to the Proximate Cause of Failure in today's contest, it would have to go to the WR coach.

Mr. Bigglesworth

1.) Can't catch a thing.
3.) Can't block at all.

Now, I am not a football coach. I'm a drunk. Yet, even though I am not a football coach, I believe I can assess the importance of having receivers who can catch. I can also appreciate the ability of a receiver to be in the right place to catch said ball when it goes sailing to a particular spot, and not watching an opposing player do the catching in said spot. And, many were the times when a decently thrown block, or, hell, just getting in the way of a charging DB would have sprung a long run. But, alas...

This blatant inability of practically an entire aspect of our offense to do it's job this far into the season is inexcusable. There is actually a person who is paid to "coach" the receivers. It is painfully evident that he cannot perform the duties to which he has been assigned. His failure to not only bring players up to the level of other skill position personnel directly affects the entire Offensive Unit. We have a Coordinator in charge of the Offense. His inability to correct the obvious shortcomings in his position coach undermined his own area of responsibility.

Now, I do not know whether Sonny Cumbie can go to GMFP and say, "GMFP, the WR coach you saddled me with is a moron. These guys can't catch the clap in a Manila whorehouse. Can you please assign him to lawn mowing or topiary arrangements instead of making me look like an incompetent buffoon?" without GMFP pointing out that said WR coach is an old buddy and he isn't moving him anywhere. GMFP keeps the guy around for a reason, although after watching the positions he "coaches" consistently being the lowest performers on the squad I cannot see why.

Sonny Cumbie has his share of faults, to be sure. This thread is wonderfully illustrative of them. In technicolor. However, if the Golden Raspberry must be awarded to the Proximate Cause of Failure in today's contest, it would have to go to the WR coach.
As talented as Jalen Reagor is it appears to me he plays selfish football. A lot of guys out there need gut checks and look like they’re just riding it out until the end of the year because they have to be there. It’s sad to see a lot of talented players either not blocking or running haphazard routes. I could not agree with you more here.

netty2424

I'm entitled to my opinion, Duggan is not a good throwing QB, great arm, little accuracy, maybe our coaches and fan base need to learn to see what a good QB can produce...
Good grief man. Duggan has been running for his life all season long. When he has time in the pocket he’s fine. But the offensive line is completely incompetent.
We might as well become a triple option team. Our wide receivers are, as a rule, terrible. They drop passes at a rate I wouldn’t believe possible had i not watched three seasons of it, they block with less effort than JV squads, and their route running is bad.

on top of that you have an OC who apparently doesn’t know how to scheme a play that can take advantage of gaps in coverage or create mismatches. Remember when we were going to move Reagor around and get him involved in new way? Well, he was lined up on the far right side every play this game except one. He never switches sides, he never plays in the slot (or if he does and I miss it, it’s because he is a nonfactor there).

we also consistently play our second best running back over our best running back and often on plays where it doesn’t make sense.
Noticed that today. He rarely ever moves. There is simply zero creativity in this offense. Zero ability to create a mismatch.

Reagor ended up with 12 total yards today.

That said, he didn’t help himself by dropping a few balls himself that hit him in the hands.

EDIT not sure how these got into the same post.

Last edited:

netty2424

Today was on the offense AND very bad decisions by GP down the stretch. Should have took the yards on that last bu drive. And should have called time out with 36 seconds left.
Wonder what he'll do with those time outs he left in his pocket … again.
Probably already ate them.
He didn’t have any confidence in the offense either to put together a drive at the end. Too risky for GP.

Mean Purple

To me, that’s lack of coaching. Yes, a freshman quarterback may have made a bad read. Or the supposed first round draft pick receiver may have misread it. Either way, they just called a time out. All year long, the two have not been on the same page. What is going on in practice?
no no no, it can't be coaching. it has to be a freshman qb. could never be coaching . /sarc

TCUWIN

Good grief man. Duggan has been running for his life all season long. When he has time in the pocket he’s fine. But the offensive line is completely incompetent.

Noticed that today. He rarely ever moves. There is simply zero creativity in this offense. Zero ability to create a mismatch.

Reagor ended up with 12 total yards today.

That said, he didn’t help himself by dropping a few balls himself that hit him in the hands.
I wouldn’t be surprised that the receivers are dropping balls because they are so frustrated with the crap show Cumbie brings. They know they are going to have to catch a contested catch every time because the route combinations are not conducive to opening up space or attacking holes. Reagor can’t be that bad With so many drops but yet he is projected as a first round pick.

FrogCoach84

This is an important point. Cumbie has been terrible. But for any OC to have a chance at success he needs to be able to have a say in his staff.

GP has hand picked this staff and he deserves the blame for their incompetence. Can’t just say “Cumbie sucks...poor Gary”

PurpleBloodSpitter

the game in which they allowed fewer points than us.
You did not watch the game today if you believe for one minute the Baylor's defense outplayed TCU. That game was close all the way, but was only a few plays away from a TCU blowout of Baylor.

I was very proud of how our team played and fought today against what the country believes is a top fifteen team.

TCU mostly owned them. Hats off to Baylor.

Gary's squib before half is actually what got us into overtime. Perfect call.

Mr. Bigglesworth

You did not watch the game today if you believe for one minute the Baylor's defense outplayed TCU. That game was close all the way, but was only a few plays away from a TCU blowout of Baylor.

I was very proud of how our team played and fought today against what the country believes is a top fifteen team.

TCU mostly owned them. Hats off to Baylor.

Gary's squib before half is actually what got us into overtime. Perfect call.
Yeah that squib kick was exactly what gary had planned.

Dusty

1.) Can't catch a thing.
3.) Can't block at all.

As for me, today was the best play calling that has been called all year. Most of the passing plays were in between the lines where Duggan is accurate. The running backs more than did their jobs. But once again, the receiving corps dropped to many passes, stopped on routes and didn't block as often as they should have. But the over all effort from the team, including the receivers, was more than enough to win the game. The defense probably played its best game of the year. This team in much better than its record reflects. This one should have been a win, maybe next week.

PurpleBloodSpitter

You’re telling me this is the offense Cumbie wants to run? I call bs on that. Gary has been slowly pushing his weight around to add option, run on first down, and play stupidly conservative when tied of in the lead. The stars speak for themselves and I have an extremely hard time believing that it’s driven by anyone but GP.
Would've lost by 30 today running straight-up air raid.

tetonfrog

I wouldn’t be surprised that the receivers are dropping balls because they are so frustrated with the crap show Cumbie brings. They know they are going to have to catch a contested catch every time because the route combinations are not conducive to opening up space or attacking holes. Reagor can’t be that bad With so many drops but yet he is projected as a first round pick.

Pro Wells was wide open and dropped a TD pass. He did that because our OC is lost?