• The KillerFrogs

Poll - Mac or no more Mac?

Should Killerfrogs continue posting articles written by Big Steaming Pile (directly providing him w/clicks)?

• Total voters

froginmn

Nope. No way. If you don’t think it’s censorship then imagine if the board decided to remove articles by a journalist you liked. Wouldn’t you consider that censorship? Removing news/opinions you don’t like is a quick way to censoring everything based upon the whims of a majority. And you end up in a really sorry, sad echo chamber where everyone simply agrees with everything said. Open debate is always better than closing the debate to differing points of view.

Don’t like Mac? Don’t read it.
Censorship is preventing someone from reading something.

If this site stopped posting links to his articles, wouldn't anyone still be able to go to ST.com to read the articles?

If so, that isn't censorship.

Billy Clyde

I kind of get what you are saying but I don’t see this as an apt comparison.

Edit: do we also only want articles from writers that stroke off the program rather than having a critical view from time to time? Mac is not good at what he does but from time to time he does make a good point or two.

I'm no fan of silencing legitimate criticism, at all.. . . Certainly that's needed for a healthy community. And no, I'd be no fan of publishing gratuitously up-sucking pieces from the same source all the time, either, if they were of such poor quality.
As for the "censorship" claim, well, there's a big wide gulf between "censorship" and "standards of quality." That's what publications do, isn't it? They pick and choose which writers they will print, and not every piece by every writer makes the cut. I'm guessing I could send Gil my HST for his publication on Sunday mornings after a loss, and he'd probably decline it. That doesn't make him wrong.
Heck, even Twitter now has decided to ban political adverts, because they are so full of [ Finebaum ]. We can't impose the same "rigid" standard for publication as Twitter???

netty2424

My question is can you consider it "censoring" if we just request that he not be posted on here anymore? We aren't altering his content, we aren't preventing him from writing his trash, we're just voicing an opinion, and requesting that he not be posted here any more. That's not censorship, that's taste.

His articles rarely have any substance to them, they are never complementary, and they are purposefully inflammatory about the team we all love and are here to talk about. I've even read articles written by rival school's journalists and city newspapers that are more even-handed and fair-minded.

I am also not suggesting that any dissenting opinion isn't worth consideration. Just because someone doesn't like my team doesn't make them persona non grata. Hell, there are baylor posters on here that I tolerate more than him because at least they have a reason to be hateful. Plus it's funny when we beat them. I'm not allowed to beat Muck.

I know this argument has been presented a dozen times before. "Why don't you just not click on the article?" Well, that is one option. Another option is to stop posting his crap. Why even give that hack a platform? It's not like his writing has ever contributed to to a logical discussion, other than the multiple times we've tried to use logic in order to prevent the postings of his drivel. I know that there are some people on here that have a personal relationship with him. I don't question them as people, of course, but I *do* question those people's literary taste when they say he's a good writer.

He does nothing positive for discussions on this site. He doesn't share our love for TCU. He is purposefully inflammatory and borderline combative. I mean, this last "article" alone probably violates part of the User's Agreement to be a member of this site. My vote is to stop.
Luke Skyywalker says hi!
8d36f1985f979a1cd5cf6ee0bf9369f9.jpg

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I'm no fan of silencing legitimate criticism, at all.. . . Certainly that's needed for a healthy community. And no, I'd be no fan of publishing gratuitously up-sucking pieces from the same source all the time, either, if they were of such poor quality.
As for the "censorship" claim, well, there's a big wide gulf between "censorship" and "standards of quality." That's what publications do, isn't it? They pick and choose which writers they will print, and not every piece by every writer makes the cut. I'm guessing I could send Gil my HST for his publication on Sunday mornings after a loss, and he'd probably decline it. That doesn't make him wrong.
Heck, even Twitter now has decided to ban political adverts, because they are so full of [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]. We can't impose the same "rigid" standard for publication as Twitter???
What Twitter is doing is stupid. There’s an agenda. But, and it’s a big J-Lo but, they are silencing all voices not just those they don’t like (also doing this discretely but that’s another topic).

Billy Clyde

I understand what's at play here. The board's owners, as alluded to by a prior post, see posting his "articles" as a revenue stream and they are very reluctant to cut that off.
It isn't "censorship" to tell a writer, "Your work is [ Finebaum ], and we aren't publishing it here." It's simply exercising a choice to have standards.
KFc isn't going that route. They are choosing revenue over quality content. It's their right to do so.
I have, as the prior poster suggested, chosen to open threads containing his links increasingly infrequently, and have long since chosen to NEVER click said links.

I suggest the majority responders on here make the choice with me to never open another thread on KFc containing one of his "articles." Maybe if the clicks/money associated with them dies a painful death of neglect, KFc won't be so anxious to give them space. . . and at the very least, they'll quickly find their way off of Page 1.

That's it for me on the subject. Done with you for good, scheiss-O.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Hey, Gil LeBreton posts PressBox DFW articles himself. As a bonus, PressBox's articles are much better written and more informative.

Rather than posting Mac's articles for him, how about we treat him evenly? Let Mac own his stuff and post it himself. It's not like he isn't lurking around here.
Indeed!

Of course, the fool would never come out and be recognized...

Eight

Or possibly also described as democracy, you know, that thing where you make your wishes known and the majority rules...

true, but as most of us live in a democratic republic there are times when the wishes of the many are not in the best interest of all of us going forward

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Stopping the posting of Mac-shat drivel is hardly censorship. There is nothing stopping anyone interested in his opinionated droppings to stop by the website of the coughing-up-blood* Startlegram and reading it. What would change is this TCU Fan site no longer facilitating traffic to a person and "newspaper" who are not friends of this University or Football Program.

It's as simple as that.

*From the Monty Python: "Is it dead?" "Well, it was coughing up blood last night."

Zubaz

I understand what's at play here. The board's owners, as alluded to by a prior post, see posting his "articles" as a revenue stream and they are very reluctant to cut that off.
It isn't "censorship" to tell a writer, "Your work is [ steaming pile of Orgeron ], and we aren't publishing it here." It's simply exercising a choice to have standards.
KFc isn't going that route. They are choosing revenue over quality content. It's their right to do so.
I have, as the prior poster suggested, chosen to open threads containing his links increasingly infrequently, and have long since chosen to NEVER click said links.

I suggest the majority responders on here make the choice with me to never open another thread on KFc containing one of his "articles." Maybe if the clicks/money associated with them dies a painful death of neglect, KFc won't be so anxious to give them space. . . and at the very least, they'll quickly find their way off of Page 1.

That's it for me on the subject. Done with you for good, scheiss-O.
To the best of my knowledge, what we do here is not considered "publishing"t articles. Rather, Top provides an aggregation of news articles related to TCU, not all that different than RCP. Mac is included as part of that because he writes for the local paper about TCU athletics.

By suggesting that links to those articles should be removed, yeah that is a censorship decision because what we are saying is that we should aggregate news articles about TCU, but not ones that we don't like the content of. I can't really get behind that sort of thinking. If you don't want to read an article or give him the clicks, don't do it. However, also don't make that decision for other people as well.

Frog DJ

As WIN stated: there are several posters on this board who are more critical of TCU, CGP and even players (which is supposed to be against the board’s rules), and no one’s suggesting they should be banned.

I never click ANY Star Telegram article, because of the pay wall. I’m more interested in what the posters have to say than the scribes, anyway.

Go Frogs!

Limey Frog

This is a poll to see what the Killerfrogs community thinks about continuing to post articles written by Big Steaming Pile.

This is not a request to have his content censored by the Star Telegram. The current setup on this site directly provides him with revenue and views, even though he is known for demeaning and belittling TCU and writing misleading articles.

I am not trying to convince people of this so I will not post examples. This is simply to see what everyone's stance is.

I voted for no more, but I don't think he demeans TCU so much as just trolls everyone with ever deminishing degrees of restraint, dignity, and relevance.