• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: Gary Patterson sounds off on selection committee

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Gary Patterson sounds off on selection committee

By Chance Linton

With the initial College Football Playoff rankings set to be unveiled on Tuesday night, ESPN conducted a survey of the Power Five head coaches that touched on everything from the current system to playoff expansion to the selection committee to scheduling.

Among those to express issues the selection committee was TCU head coach Gary Patterson, whose team was notably snubbed in the inaugural four-team playoff in 2014 when they fell three spots in the final rankings from No. 3 to No. 6 despite a 52-point win in their final game.

In the survey, Patterson was one of four head coaches to answer “no” when asked if they trusted the selection committee, joining Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh, Washington State’s Mike Leach and recently-fired Florida State coach Willie Taggart. Fifty-one coaches responded with “yes,” while six elected not to comment.

Read more at https://247sports.com/Article/TCU-F...otball-Playoff-selection-committee-138082942/

Mean Purple

Gary Patterson sounds off on selection committee

By Chance Linton

With the initial College Football Playoff rankings set to be unveiled on Tuesday night, ESPN conducted a survey of the Power Five head coaches that touched on everything from the current system to playoff expansion to the selection committee to scheduling.

Among those to express issues the selection committee was TCU head coach Gary Patterson, whose team was notably snubbed in the inaugural four-team playoff in 2014 when they fell three spots in the final rankings from No. 3 to No. 6 despite a 52-point win in their final game.

In the survey, Patterson was one of four head coaches to answer “no” when asked if they trusted the selection committee, joining Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh, Washington State’s Mike Leach and recently-fired Florida State coach Willie Taggart. Fifty-one coaches responded with “yes,” while six elected not to comment.

Read more at https://247sports.com/Article/TCU-F...otball-Playoff-selection-committee-138082942/
GP and some of the others have nailed it.

Zubaz

giphy.gif

HFrog12

It would be so awesome to have to worry about the selection committee. I do however agree with GP here. Easy to take shots when you aren't even close it.

Eight

I still remember when I cared about the selection committee.

this, so much made up freaking drama about something that doesn't matter which fits perfectly with most of what is on television anymore including the news.

only one vote matters and even then i don't want to hear from the committee

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It's a load of crap. It's been a load of crap since it's inception, and it's only gotten worse.

Something I found funny in listening to the SiriusXM ESPNU Sunday show was the more glib host opining on who would be #1 and #2. His theory was that "They will vote LSU #1 and Alabama #2 because that will really increase interest in the game this coming Saturday!" This, from an employee of ESPN. Essentially telling us that everything is directly tied to who gets ratings.

The rankings didn't come out that way, of course. CBS has that game, so ESPN could care less. ESPN, however, has tOSU v. Pedo State in a couple of weeks, and guess who will magically be atop the Playoff rankings by then...

Zubaz

It's a load of crap. It's been a load of crap since it's inception, and it's only gotten worse.

Something I found funny in listening to the SiriusXM ESPNU Sunday show was the more glib host opining on who would be #1 and #2. His theory was that "They will vote LSU #1 and Alabama #2 because that will really increase interest in the game this coming Saturday!" This, from an employee of ESPN. Essentially telling us that everything is directly tied to who gets ratings.

The rankings didn't come out that way, of course. CBS has that game, so ESPN could care less. ESPN, however, has tOSU v. Pedo State in a couple of weeks, and guess who will magically be atop the Playoff rankings by then...
I've never understood the debates over two teams that are about to play each other anyway. Reminds me of 2009 when Alabama and Florida were both in the Top 2 for most of the season, but were destined to play each other in the SEC Title Game if they both won out, which is exactly what happened. LSU vs. Alabama and Penn State vs Ohio State (and Penn State vs. Michigan) are all going to be settled on the field. Any discussion of CFP contenders should factor that in and look beyond that.

Wexahu

Must resist... must resist ... cannot stir it up ... must resist ...

Oh, hell with it.

In before Wex

:)

Ha. All I can say is that I'm wrong about a lot of things a lot of the time, but I'm more convinced now than ever (and I think most people though they'd never admit it know I'm right) that in 2014 the committee made the right selections, as they have in every year since. And when you consider that possibly the biggest blue blood of them all has missed the playoffs on three separate occasions with 11-1, 12-1 and 12-2 records (with two conference championships mixed in), that pretty much blows up all the bogus theories out there.

The bottom line is we aren't in the conversation very often so when we are we want every single benefit of the doubt given to us simply because our opportunities will be fewer and farther between than the major blue blood programs. But that's not the way it works, or the way it should work. It's like it's embedded in our DNA to whine whenever we don't get our way and blame big school favoritism, whether it be scheduling, referees, CFP selections, stars for our recruits, etc. Honestly, Baylor fans act very similar, I'm sure they are bitching right now about their CFP rank even though they played three absolute [ Finebaum ] teams in OOC and have not looked all that impressive.

Complain about the system, fine, but the committee has gotten it right every year under the current system that they work under.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Joel Klatt today said that the 8 team playoff is a done deal before the next TV contract. Said he has had discussions with the all big players in the conferences. Being pushed hard by the Pac12 who is looking to take a big hit with desertions if this doesn’t happen and they along with everyone else apparently wants avert any future conference realignments. Apparently everyone is in agreement and doesn’t want to see the Pac12 picked apart. Plan would guarantee the Pac 12 and the other 4 conferences auto bids for conference champs and three at large bids.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Joel Klatt today said that the 8 team playoff is a done deal before the next TV contract. Said he has had discussions with the all big players in the conferences. Being pushed hard by the Pac12 who is looking to take a big hit with desertions if this doesn’t happen and they along with everyone else apparently wants avert any future conference realignments. Apparently everyone is in agreement and doesn’t want to see the Pac12 picked apart. Plan would guarantee the Pac 12 and the other 4 conferences auto bids for conference champs and three at large bids.
Sounds good.

Oh and kick Baylor out.

tcudoc

Ha. All I can say is that I'm wrong about a lot of things a lot of the time, but I'm more convinced now than ever (and I think most people though they'd never admit it know I'm right) that in 2014 the committee made the right selections, as they have in every year since. And when you consider that possibly the biggest blue blood of them all has missed the playoffs on three separate occasions with 11-1, 12-1 and 12-2 records (with two conference championships mixed in), that pretty much blows up all the bogus theories out there.

The bottom line is we aren't in the conversation very often so when we are we want every single benefit of the doubt given to us simply because our opportunities will be fewer and farther between than the major blue blood programs. But that's not the way it works, or the way it should work. It's like it's embedded in our DNA to whine whenever we don't get our way and blame big school favoritism, whether it be scheduling, referees, CFP selections, stars for our recruits, etc. Honestly, Baylor fans act very similar, I'm sure they are bitching right now about their CFP rank even though they played three absolute [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] teams in OOC and have not looked all that impressive.

Complain about the system, fine, but the committee has gotten it right every year under the current system that they work under.
Thanks for not disappointing. We know that when we are counting on you, you will always come through. Great job everybody. Hit the showers.

Chongo94

The bottom line is we aren't in the conversation very often so when we are we want every single benefit of the doubt given to us simply because our opportunities will be fewer and farther between than the major blue blood programs. But that's not the way it works, or the way it should work. It's like it's embedded in our DNA to whine whenever we don't get our way and blame big school favoritism, whether it be scheduling, referees, CFP selections, stars for our recruits, etc. Honestly, Baylor fans act very similar, I'm sure they are bitching right now about their CFP rank even though they played three absolute [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] teams in OOC and have not looked all that impressive.

tenor.gif

Frog DJ

Not sure why he cares. He won't have to worry about them anytime soon. Focus on putting out the dumpster fire on Stadium Drive
I would also like to hear less about the CFP and more about BU-TCU, but in fairness to CGP I think he was merely responding to a direct question, and the writer turned it into a single topic story.

Go Frogs!