• The KillerFrogs

GP 19-22 in Big 12 without Meachum

Mean Purple

I am ambivalent to Meachum for the most part...I just don't like his offense. Even with the numbers it put up I thought it had major flaws. We saw what happened in 2016 without future NFL players at QB and WR. It wasn't any better then this years offense. Not very efficient. Outside of Leach himself, nobody is really effectively running any form of hyper speed spread. Even the Briles thing has played itself out. Look at Tulsa and Florida St. for proof. Neither is winning games. Offensive football is about efficiency and execution. Those are the like calorie counting to lose weight....Methodology is important but whatever you do it had better be consistently good.

Chongo94

For Western Michigan and Memphis the head coach is the playcaller and de facto OC.

Tulane was running option when Fritz first got there. Don’t know how it is now.

Same with Boise. Idk how much Harsin has ceded playcalling.

From what little I’ve seen, it appears as if Tulane is running some sort of spread rpo deal. I’ve only seen around 3 games or so but whatever it is, it’s working for them. They’re great this year (by their standards.)

Wexahu

This is the real key. The most successful coaches have great players. I don't think we're maximizing the current talent but it's also hard to argue that we've got as many good football players as we did in 14 and 15.

That's pretty depressing. Almost completely squandered the positive vibes and mojo from those two teams. Don't know if it was recruiting misses, or we just lost our edge, but there's no reason we shouldn't have better football players now.

Froggish

That's pretty depressing. Almost completely squandered the positive vibes and mojo from those two teams. Don't know if it was recruiting misses, or we just lost our edge, but there's no reason we shouldn't have better football players now.

I guess I'm the loan rider on this but I don't think we had better players back then. I think we are getting every bit as good an athlete as we were in at any point in our history. In fact I think we are maybe even better today then years past.....I attribute all of our issues to the game evolving and compromising GPs concepts and him having a staff that has likewise lost touch with how the game has changed.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
This crap of "Oh, the game has passed him by..." It's ridiculous. The Game consists of many things, and where GMFP and his staff are failing is not necessarily in scheming a good game plan, but more with the evaluation of talent, pursuit of fundamentals among the players, esprit de corps, and the sense of confidence that everybody is on the same page.

We don't have any of those things. Doug Meacham damned sure won't be bringing them all back in a bag. Remember the last time he was in ACS? GMFP beat the living crap out of his offense. So badly so that, without a near last minute long run, they'd have been negative yardage on offense for the game. Meacham was last seen all by himself in a stairwell, head in hands. He isn't the answer. Sonny isn't either. That experiment was good for a few years. Now it is over.

No, some of the old dead wood needs to be cleared out (cough*Anderson*cough) and new blood brought in. Young guys full of enthusiasm and passion. A shake-up is needed.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
This crap of "Oh, the game has passed him by..." It's ridiculous. The Game consists of many things, and where GMFP and his staff are failing is not necessarily in scheming a good game plan, but more with the evaluation of talent, pursuit of fundamentals among the players, esprit de corps, and the sense of confidence that everybody is on the same page.

We don't have any of those things. Doug Meacham damned sure won't be bringing them all back in a bag. Remember the last time he was in ACS? GMFP beat the living crap out of his offense. So badly so that, without a near last minute long run, they'd have been negative yardage on offense for the game. Meacham was last seen all by himself in a stairwell, head in hands. He isn't the answer. Sonny isn't either. That experiment was good for a few years. Now it is over.

No, some of the old dead wood needs to be cleared out (cough*Anderson*cough) and new blood brought in. Young guys full of enthusiasm and passion. A shake-up is needed.

jake102

I guess I'm the loan rider on this but I don't think we had better players back then. I think we are getting every bit as good an athlete as we were in at any point in our history. In fact I think we are maybe even better today then years past.....I attribute all of our issues to the game evolving and compromising GPs concepts and him having a staff that has likewise lost touch with how the game has changed.

Difference in a better "player" and a better "athlete". Is Wayne Daniels a better player than Mathis? Yep, by a mile. Better athlete? Nope, by a mile.

CountryFrog

Difference in a better "player" and a better "athlete". Is Wayne Daniels a better player than Mathis? Yep, by a mile. Better athlete? Nope, by a mile.
Exactly. We've absolutely got athletes now. Our current set of LB's and S's are more athletic than Mallett, Dawson, Carter and Hackett. I don't think many people would argue that they're better football players than those guys though.

There are lots of good players on this team but our weak spots are too weak and our strengths aren't quite strong enough to make up the difference.

tetonfrog

Was Daniels, who played his best ball as an upperclassman, a better player as a redshirt frosh? Poor comparison. Let's ask this again in two years and make it fair.

LeagueCityFrog

If Gary now has a losing Big XII overall conference record the last three years, one, that's not good compared to the hard cash pumped into this TCU football program, two, what schools have been eating up the wins in conference? I assume for sure Oklahoma, and maybe Iowa State and Texas to some extent.

With where our recruiting is now and how awesome our facilities are, there should be no way TCU football should be ranked any less than preseason #3 in any given season in conference. No more this "Grown them up." Plan ahead and go get better players and coaches, or run some of both of these people off, or evaluate better what is going on. I'm still really mad about that SMU loss and how a 2nd year coach with a recent historically awful football program on their like 8th head coach in 15 years can use the transfer portal and walk in to The Carter and beat Coach P. while shooting glitter all over our field. TCU losing to SMU should never, ever happen even if it is their best team in 30 years. Like Never.

That being said, Baylor was god awful the last couple of years, we have them at home Saturday. Let's beat these guys like a pulp and get win number 5!

Eight

If Gary now has a losing Big XII overall conference record the last three years, one, that's not good compared to the hard cash pumped into this TCU football program, two, what schools have been eating up the wins in conference? I assume for sure Oklahoma, and maybe Iowa State and Texas to some extent.

With where our recruiting is now and how awesome our facilities are, there should be no way TCU football should be ranked any less than preseason #3 in any given seaso
n in conference. No more this "Grown them up." Plan ahead and go get better players and coaches, or run some of both of these people off, or evaluate better what is going on. I'm still really mad about that SMU loss and how a 2nd year coach with a recent historically awful football program on their like 8th head coach in 15 years can use the transfer portal and walk in to The Carter and beat Coach P. while shooting glitter all over our field. TCU losing to SMU should never, ever happen even if it is their best team in 30 years. Like Never.

That being said, Baylor was god awful the last couple of years, we have them at home Saturday. Let's beat these guys like a pulp and get win number 5!

why do you keep talking about the frogs awesome facilities as if tcu is head and shoulders above their big 12 peers.

the conference as a whole has been pumping millions into their programs so there is no decided advantage.

PO Frog

why do you keep talking about the frogs awesome facilities as if tcu is head and shoulders above their big 12 peers.

the conference as a whole has been pumping millions into their programs so there is no decided advantage.
This is true. Who doesn’t have awesome locker rooms and meeting rooms and pop a shot. I bet we aren’t even top 20 now in terms of facilities. Throw in the small fan base, and we aren’t going to out-recruit many teams on a national level. Therefore, we need to get back to out coaching the other team, which I haven’t seen consistently for a number of years...

LeagueCityFrog

I've been to every Big XII campus and TCU has it going on. You talk counter trash, but I bet you haven't been to all the campuses. TCU has a lot going for it and we've been #3 recruiting the last 4 cycles.

Eight

I've been to every Big XII campus and TCU has it going on. You talk counter trash, but I bet you haven't been to all the campuses. TCU has a lot going for it and we've been #3 recruiting the last 4 cycles.

you talking about football facilities or campuses?

seriously, i am confused by that and i have no clue with your first paragraph.

oh, for clarification, the frogs do not have a losing record the last 3 years in conference play coming into this season (15-12) or have a losing record including this season as well (17-15).

CountryFrog

Was Daniels, who played his best ball as an upperclassman, a better player as a redshirt frosh? Poor comparison. Let's ask this again in two years and make it fair.
The point wasn't to compare Daniels directly to Mathis to pass judgment on Mathis' entire career. The point was comparing Frogs starting DE's. It's very possible for Mathis to become a really good player, he's just not there yet. Unfortunately we're in a position where we need him to be a starter and that's the point. In years past our current starters at DE would be backups. It really has nothing to do with Mathis specifically. He absolutely can become a good player.

Froggish

This is true. Who doesn’t have awesome locker rooms and meeting rooms and pop a shot. I bet we aren’t even top 20 now in terms of facilities. Throw in the small fan base, and we aren’t going to out-recruit many teams on a national level. Therefore, we need to get back to out coaching the other team, which I haven’t seen consistently for a number of years...

Actually 247 themselves said TCU has one of the top 20 facilities in the country.. They ranked them this past off season

ShreveFrog

Maybe it does have something to do with signing better "athletes" instead of "players." I remember Coach P talking about how signing Ty Summers, a quarterback he converted to linebacker, was a throwback to what "we used to do at TCU." (Like Hughes from running back to defensive end, etc.)

Gimme me a squad of Ty Summerses and Jerry Hugheses.

Eight

Actually 247 themselves said TCU has one of the top 20 facilities in the country.. They ranked them this past off season

the frogs have good facilities, my point is that there isn't a huge difference in the facilities in the conference or won't be as there has been and are numerous building projects in the conference