• The KillerFrogs

Ian Boyd game analysis

MinFrog

I don’t know jack [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] about coaching defense but it seems like a bad idea to make a DE responsible for Hubbard. Especially OUR DEs.
I dont mind Mathis being responsible for Chuba, OM is super athletic.

My problem is he wasn't able to figure out who he was responsible until Chuba was 10 yards downfield. I would like to see the defense simplified now that we are recruiting more talented/athletic kids. We used to have to outsmart folks, but we don't need to gamble with super complex defenses, especially with freshmen.

Eight

How many dudes from this defense would start on our 2009, 2010, 2014 defenses? Blacklock.... Some of this feels like a talent issue.

interesting question and i know at times things seemed better in the past than they really were compared to today so here is a quick look back:

de's jerry hughes and wayne daniels
dt's kelly griffin and cory grant
lb's darryl washington and tank carder
cb's rafael priest and nick sanders
s teejay johnson, alex ibiloye, and collin jones (when healthy)

de's stansley maponga and wayne daniels
dt's cory grant and dj yendry
lb's tanner brock and tank carder
cb's tason teague and greg mccoy
s collin jones, tekerrain cuba, and teejay johnson

de's terrell latham and james mcfarland
dt's davion pierson and chucky hunter
lb's marcus mallet and paul dawson
cb's kevin white and ranthony texada
s derrick kindred, chris hackett, and sam carter

looking at those groups, the one area i blacklock and bethley could play on the 2009, 2010, and 2014

defensive end and linebacker i am going with the three prior units.

cb i think gladney is similar to a player such as greg mccoy, but i don't think he was the better of those two corners in 2010

safety that trio in 2014 was damn good, but i think a guy link trevon would get some time as well as innis.

crash813

We have the best defensive mind in the country but he can’t do the tackling and read correctly, that load is carried by the players. Period.....

I'm guessing you don't have to manage a lot of people. That's not a dig either. Being brilliant has nothing to do with being effective at managing other people to do the task. You can create the best plan but if it doesn't take into consideration the resources to execute it, its not a great plan! I think this is one of the biggest differences between being a great (if not the best) defensive mind in the game and being a great head coach. You have to find a system that excels on the field, not just in your mind.

Wexahu

interesting question and i know at times things seemed better in the past than they really were compared to today so here is a quick look back:

de's jerry hughes and wayne daniels
dt's kelly griffin and cory grant
lb's darryl washington and tank carder
cb's rafael priest and nick sanders
s teejay johnson, alex ibiloye, and collin jones (when healthy)

de's stansley maponga and wayne daniels
dt's cory grant and dj yendry
lb's tanner brock and tank carder
cb's tason teague and greg mccoy
s collin jones, tekerrain cuba, and teejay johnson

de's terrell latham and james mcfarland
dt's davion pierson and chucky hunter
lb's marcus mallet and paul dawson
cb's kevin white and ranthony texada
s derrick kindred, chris hackett, and sam carter

looking at those groups, the one area i blacklock and bethley could play on the 2009, 2010, and 2014

defensive end and linebacker i am going with the three prior units.

cb i think gladney is similar to a player such as greg mccoy, but i don't think he was the better of those two corners in 2010

safety that trio in 2014 was damn good, but i think a guy link trevon would get some time as well as innis.

The most frustrating thing to me as far as defensive personnel is how small our linebackers always are. You'd think moving to a P5 conference it would open the recruiting doors enough to where you could field a team of players that somewhat fit the prototype for their position. Instead, we are always an injury away from running 205 lb linebackers out there. Way too much an overemphasis on speed IMO. If it requires that much speed to play LB in this system (which I don't think it does by the way - see 2014) maybe the system isn't good anymore.

Eight

The most frustrating thing to me as far as defensive personnel is how small our linebackers always are. You'd think moving to a P5 conference it would open the recruiting doors enough to where you could field a team of players that somewhat fit the prototype for their position. Instead, we are always an injury away from running 205 lb linebackers out there. Way too much an overemphasis on speed IMO. If it requires that much speed to play LB in this system (which I don't think it does by the way - see 2014) maybe the system isn't good anymore.

interesting point.

i think the two best pair of linebackers tcu has had under patterson were washington and carder and mallet and dawson.

three were good athletes, only one was a great athlete, and only one would kill it in the forty yet they all had great instincts for the position, fundamentally sound etc...

so why did tcu go away from recruiting theses types of players? what nudged tcu to start recruiting 195 lb safeties and players with more athletic ability than instincts?

Wexahu

i
so why did tcu go away from recruiting theses types of players? what nudged tcu to start recruiting 195 lb safeties and players with more athletic ability than instincts?

I don't know, but I sometimes wonder if a kid like Jason Phillips could play LB for us anymore, or would he just be moved to DE.

And I keep hearing about what a great athlete Ochaun Mathis is. Is that people just blowing smoke? Why couldn't a 6'4" 235 lb kid who is a great athlete play LB for us?

PO Frog

interesting point.

i think the two best pair of linebackers tcu has had under patterson were washington and carder and mallet and dawson.

three were good athletes, only one was a great athlete, and only one would kill it in the forty yet they all had great instincts for the position, fundamentally sound etc...

Gary whiffed on the whole spread concept and thought he needed 11 safeties out there. Think he course corrected a few years back but we are still dealing with lingering effects. Remember how small we were a few years back, even with the addition of the Nebraska transfer at the 2 technique?

interesting point.

I think GP said something about this shortly after we joined the B12. Something to the effect of...we need LBs who can run and cover now more than when we were in the MWC.

Still can’t stop the wheel route, though...

Snoop1122

We need more depth at LB and safety. There will be better DE and DL coming in next recruiting cycle. GP needs to evaluate his assistants as well.

Froggish

On the 92 yard run there were no high safeties. All of them were rather close to the line playing man coverage. The writer of the article accurately pointed out that it was on Blackshear to make the stop and he was in complete no mans land standing there like he had no idea what he was doing. This put Wallow in a bad position and while I think Wallow got held, chances are he doesn't make the play even if he did get held.

The second long run we had both of our corners covering the trips and we blitzed the safety on the right side. This time it was Mathis playing the role of no mans land just standing there like he had no idea what he was doing, allowing the back to easily run by him putting all the pressure on Wallow to make the play, who got sucked into the wrong lane taking him out of the cutback lane and he never had a chance.

Headed into our 9th game of the season and DE play hasn’t improved. These guys should be killing teams with all the attention Blacklock and Bethley have been demanding on the inside. From here on out Blackshear needs to be on the bench and all the reps need to be going to the guys who will be here next year.

Froggish

View attachment 6418
View attachment 6419
View attachment 6417

This was the 62-yard TD.
  • Colt Ellison is being taken for a ride to the opposite end zone.
  • Washington is regretting the coach’s decision to blitz.
  • Despite the possible hold, Big Ross got pushed way outside of the hashmark near the down & distance graphic with the center chipping like it was designed. Thus it was a hard play for him since he had to fight back inside. To his credit he almost makes it.
  • Mathis was unblocked yet completely whiffs on Hubbard.
  • Ben Wilson needs to shed his block and Wallow is stuck in no man’s land.

That is Mathis play to make. It didn’t help that Ross took and out side lane but ultimately Mathis and Wilson have the RB on that play so Wallow can scrape and account for a QB keeper.