• The KillerFrogs

Why not Luper?

Eight

There are good OCs out there for just about any style of head coach. The worst thing we can do is go get a hyper speed chuck-n-duck guy to try and coexist with GP. That has been a disaster in the past and would be a disaster in the future. Meachum called plays in 3 of our most prolific offensive years we’ve ever had as a program and despite that, GP couldn’t stand the idea of what that offense did to his defense. GP is acutely aware that his legacy lies in how much smarter his defensive mind is then everyone else. He is never going to allow that reputation to be compromised by some young break neck speed risk taker of an OC.

As much as I clown on SC, because I think he’s terrible, he really didn’t stand a chance around here. No experience, no feel for the game, and HC coach who was going to grind him into dust by not allowing him to be himself...GP wants nothing to do with the offense as long as it’s 55% run heavy, moves at a slow pace, never presses the ball down the field, and never commits a turnover...Other than that Mr.OC...You do whatever you want...

At the end of the day TCU is getting beat on the sideline every bit as they are on the field.

i don't think some realize the handcuffs an unprepared sonny cumbie has worked with at times be it staff that needed to be replaced, but tenured due to friendship with gary, a lack of understanding on his part on how to build an offense, and things like trying to build an offense around delton

Froggish

i don't think some realize the handcuffs an unprepared sonny cumbie has worked with at times be it staff that needed to be replaced, but tenured due to friendship with gary, a lack of understanding on his part on how to build an offense, and things like trying to build an offense around delton

Agree 100%...Sonny might make someone a pretty good OC one day but it won’t be here. He wasn’t ready for the job when GP gave it to him and there are way too many other factors working against him.

4th. down

We have needed a Offensive Coordinator in the worst way since Cumbie took over the offense, with the exception of the 1 year when Dykes was helping him. The problem I see with bringing in a new coordinator is that most would want to be able to hire their own staff, and GP isn't going to let that happen. He will make them keep his "buddies". Anderson should have been gone at least a decade ago. Move him to a desk job since he seems to be some great recruiter.

GP also needs to make some changes on his defensive staff, and that isn't going to happen neither. He has to have his "buddies" by his side no matter what. Sharp needs to be gone as long as Anderson should have been. Finch can handle the line by himself. Cross needs to be back at coaching LB's, and we need an actual Special Teams coach. Glasgow is just here collecting a check also. Haven't seen anything that he has done for years now. He's just another "Yes man".

This all seems radical........but it isn't. You cannot be a loyal frog alum/fan and not see this. A really good OC that's established isn't coming for many reasons, the first one being GP himself. Some won't come because GP will not let him pick his staff, that's a major problem and on a side note, we need to clean house on the defensive front........really, go back to the previous position coaches first and if that won't work, clean house.

Glass doesn't have a lot to work with at LB, but Wallow aside, they are horrible and same for DE, and then same again for our offensive line. We are missing on recruiting bad and it really is showing up. The recruiting bright spot, RB with Luper, other than that, we are hurting. Our offensive linemen are becoming a liability - Duggan hurt and Collins in the hospital with severe kidney problems.

Last edited:

Tumbleweed

Patterson isn't going anywhere. Actually he's digging his heels in deeper for some of the reasons given above. Most people know the future if all stays in place. Rearrange coaching staff and bring in A PERSON to help with the offense. Froggish and 4th dwn hit it squarely on the head.

We could money whip almost any great OC out there, but they would want total control of the offense & hiring their own staff, but GP isn't having none of that. His good ol buddies have to stay in place.
History suggests that is a good likelihood. I think maybe he has arrived at a crossroad where he has to decide if winning or maintaining those coaching relationships is the most important thing. Outside of Luper, there is not a single offensive coach that can look him the face and honestly tell him that there is not someone out there who could be doing a better job than what they have been doing.

4th. down

"and things like trying to build an offense around delton"

That sounds worse than silley, preposterous actually. No one, fans included, would scheme up such a thing, BUT GUESS WHAT? we did it. All the ranting and raving GP did thru spring, summer, and fall to let Delton in an Air Raid offense take us to the promise land. Now you see why we are in trouble.

asleep003

If we had quality 2 deep WRs, we would have had an 8 or 9 regular season wins last year and we'd be 6-2 right now. And GP and SC would be all chummy.

4th. down

Is this an opinion or do you have direct knowledge of this?

Yes, please elaborate. Only Boschini and the Chair of the Board of Trustees could make GP change his demeanor or anything else, and they would probably have to confront him simultaneously. Remember, he does have a statue and they don't.

traderfrog

I remember after Duggan threw the long INT in first down, Patterson yelling at Cumbie. I don’t know what he said but if it was “why did you do that, now my defense has to go right back on the field!” then that’s an issue. We need our head coach to be coaching the entire team. If he’s trying to dictate Cumbie’s play calling (forcing him to be too conservative) that will not work for long. Maybe that’s why Meach left.

Personally I wonder if much of the WRs troubles comes from having Jarrett Anderson as a position coach too, may be time to get someone new in that spot.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I remember after Duggan threw the long INT in first down, Patterson yelling at Cumbie. I don’t know what he said but if it was “why did you do that, now my defense has to go right back on the field!” then that’s an issue. We need our head coach to be coaching the entire team. If he’s trying to dictate Cumbie’s play calling (forcing him to be too conservative) that will not work for long. Maybe that’s why Meach left.

Personally I wonder if much of the WRs troubles comes from having Jarrett Anderson as a position coach too, may be time to get someone new in that spot.
Anderson was the WR coach during the ghastly 2013 season.

H0RNEDFR0G

I really hate being be that guy, but when it comes to finding a new OC, we're kinda screwed. GP ripping Sonny Cumbie on the sideline is a HORRIBLE look. What OC candidate watches TCU play and thinks "Gee that looks like a lovely place to work." ? Answer: none of them.

What we could get if we decided to look for a new OC today, is someone who is desperate to move up in the world, with 0 other competitive offers. AKA, not really a guy you want to hire.

At this point, the only person to fit that bill might very well be Coach Luper. However, promoting from the inside only exacerbates the problem, we need new blood. We've promoted from within for too long.

Gary is king of the castle, and I don't think Donati has the balls to step in and tell him that if he rips the OC on camera again he's going to fine him, and if he keeps it up he's done. As it sits today, any talented OC wouldn't touch TCU with a 10 foot pole, and who could blame them?

texas_sicilian

As long as we keep losing by a touchdown or less, staff will probably just convince themselves it’s a fixable problem with just a few tweaks. That’s my fear, and I’ve already heard it by people that pay much more attention than I do.

Speaking of tweaks, what the hell ever happened to that totally “revamped” offense we were supposed to see after the offseason? Aside from a little more use of TE’s, it’s basically the same darned thing.

Last edited:

TCU_91

I began this thread because I was honestly curious of opinions.

The one thing that has continued to ring in my hollow head is after 19 years, yes 19 YEARS. How many coaches has GP had lured away ?

Justin Fuente, shockingly UT attempted cumbie. But honestly overall isn't it a sign after 19 years GP doesn't have a coaching tree, but a twig?

I should have prefaced this with GP is absolutely a Gawd in my book.

I love that man because no one else could have done what he has done with this program.

I grew up in the 70's when most of you have no clue.

The chant was 2 4 6 8 score before we graduate.

Although I was in my 4 - 10, I still remember that cheer.

Eight

I began this thread because I was honestly curious of opinions.

The one thing that has continued to ring in my hollow head is after 19 years, yes 19 YEARS. How many coaches has GP had lured away ?

Justin Fuente, shockingly UT attempted cumbie. But honestly overall isn't it a sign after 19 years GP doesn't have a coaching tree, but a twig?

I should have prefaced this with GP is absolutely a Gawd in my book.

I love that man because no one else could have done what he has done with this program.

I grew up in the 70's when most of you have no clue.

The chant was 2 4 6 8 score before we graduate.

Although I was in my 4 - 10, I still remember that cheer.

i grew up in the same time and the only thing i will say is that the past of this program can not dictate the future of it.

best example, look no further than kstate