• The KillerFrogs

Why not Luper?

TCU_91

I seldom begin threads, however we have now entered an area we haven't been in 20 years.

GP hasn't had this poor tackling, break downs in play calling, just lack of fundamentals more than a single year. Combine that with not having back to back losing seasons.

We need him to do something he has stubbornly refused to do. That is leave Cumbie on the tarmac, change staff mid season and let Luper see what he can do.

I don't expect miracles, just Something, hell ANYTHING different.

We have now pissed away two years with Cumbie draining the life out of this team.

Just push outside the box like you did when you first brought cumbie/Meacham in.

We are way down the back side and running out of time.

Big Frog II

We need some new blood. I still have to wonder about the decision to run off Meachem. Cumbie may not have gotten along with him, but there is no doubt the offense was much better. It has become boring and predictable.

robbroyy

We need some new blood. I still have to wonder about the decision to run off Meachem. Cumbie may not have gotten along with him, but there is no doubt the offense was much better. It has become boring and predictable.
No matter what Passing plays are called, the receivers still have to catch the ball. Ours don’t. If we just caught the passes that are wide open, Cumbie would look a lot smarter. They’re just giving away 50-75 yards per game.

tetonfrog

All of our fans who want to bring Meacham have forgotten the 6-7 disaster a few years ago. Our offense was as bad as the Anderson OC years.

We need a new OC who is allowed to bring in his own guys and run whatever system he wants. Period. If you want immediate change, which GP won't do, make Thomsen co-OC and demote SC to QB coach.

Wexahu

No matter what Passing plays are called, the receivers still have to catch the ball. Ours don’t. If we just caught the passes that are wide open, Cumbie would look a lot smarter. They’re just giving away 50-75 yards per game.

I’m starting to agree with this. As bad as some people think our offense is, and I’m sometimes one of them, there are guys open and plays out there that just aren’t being made. Executing on just a handful more plays can completely change people’s perception of what is going on out there.

What would we have been saying after the Texas game had Duggan slightly missed on the TD to Wells and got it picked off or had Barber not come down with the big 3rd down catch at the end? Or if we had a fumble similar to the one Stephens had today? Sometimes kids have to just step up and make plays.

4th. down

All of our fans who want to bring Meacham have forgotten the 6-7 disaster a few years ago. Our offense was as bad as the Anderson OC years.

We need a new OC who is allowed to bring in his own guys and run whatever system he wants. Period. If you want immediate change, which GP won't do, make Thomsen co-OC and demote SC to QB coach.

I think Sonny is gone, regardless. They have both become weary with each other. DON'T look inside for a OC/QB position coach. Meacham is not the answer and I don't know who is, but go outside of the present staff.

y2kFrog

It’s something different every week with the offense. Our isn’t offense isn’t coordinated which falls at the feet of the person in charge of coordinating it.

SnoSki

Just a guess but I don’t think it was Sonny and Meach not getting along. I think it was GP wanting to run the slow, plodding, ball-control offense and Meach not willing to agree to that.

4 Oaks Frog

I seldom begin threads, however we have now entered an area we haven't been in 20 years.

GP hasn't had this poor tackling, break downs in play calling, just lack of fundamentals more than a single year. Combine that with not having back to back losing seasons.

We need him to do something he has stubbornly refused to do. That is leave Cumbie on the tarmac, change staff mid season and let Luper see what he can do.

I don't expect miracles, just Something, hell ANYTHING different.

We have now pissed away two years with Cumbie draining the life out of this team.

Just push outside the box like you did when you first brought cumbie/Meacham in.

We are way down the back side and running out of time.
Understand and agree, but what do we do about defense?
GO FROGS!
BEAT baylor!
Spit Blood ~~<~<

Salfrog

Tier 1
We have needed a Offensive Coordinator in the worst way since Cumbie took over the offense, with the exception of the 1 year when Dykes was helping him. The problem I see with bringing in a new coordinator is that most would want to be able to hire their own staff, and GP isn't going to let that happen. He will make them keep his "buddies". Anderson should have been gone at least a decade ago. Move him to a desk job since he seems to be some great recruiter.

GP also needs to make some changes on his defensive staff, and that isn't going to happen neither. He has to have his "buddies" by his side no matter what. Sharp needs to be gone as long as Anderson should have been. Finch can handle the line by himself. Cross needs to be back at coaching LB's, and we need an actual Special Teams coach. Glasgow is just here collecting a check also. Haven't seen anything that he has done for years now. He's just another "Yes man".

Eight

in response to the question of why not luper that basic rep curits has carried with him is plus recruiter which dovetails with being the running back coach.

he is not the guy tcu sends to a coaching clinic if they are sending someone to do a whiteboard session

Tumbleweed

I think Sonny is gone, regardless. They have both become weary with each other. DON'T look inside for a OC/QB position coach. Meacham is not the answer and I don't know who is, but go outside of the present staff.

In the heat of frustration things do go badly. That display between Cumbie and Patterson did not sit well with the staff above coach level. A telling story much deeper than being talked about here. Personally, I think we're at that station where some new creative, knowledgeable blood is needed on the OC side. BUT, how far will Patterson allow it to go? It's the blood of the head coach on the line, ego, pride. GP is a bit hard headed from many years at TCU. He also has the backing of very influential people, but the last two years, cracks are speaking.

Froggish

There are good OCs out there for just about any style of head coach. The worst thing we can do is go get a hyper speed chuck-n-duck guy to try and coexist with GP. That has been a disaster in the past and would be a disaster in the future. Meachum called plays in 3 of our most prolific offensive years we’ve ever had as a program and despite that, GP couldn’t stand the idea of what that offense did to his defense. GP is acutely aware that his legacy lies in how much smarter his defensive mind is then everyone else. He is never going to allow that reputation to be compromised by some young break neck speed risk taker of an OC.

As much as I clown on SC, because I think he’s terrible, he really didn’t stand a chance around here. No experience, no feel for the game, and HC coach who was going to grind him into dust by not allowing him to be himself...GP wants nothing to do with the offense as long as it’s 55% run heavy, moves at a slow pace, never presses the ball down the field, and never commits a turnover...Other than that Mr.OC...You do whatever you want...

At the end of the day TCU is getting beat on the sideline every bit as they are on the field.