• The KillerFrogs

Now Hiring

LVH

Wonder how Gary would take being screamed at for giving up a 92yd td rush to Hubbard.

300 darnin’ yds rushing. Wow

I have no problem with calling safety zone blitzes with the opponent backed up like that, especially considering they hadnt done much up the middle all game. The defense we called on the 92 yard run was a good call but you can not let the RB get by the first level if it is an inside run. It was and we paid for it. I have no problem with the call because we were trying to force a turnover or back them up more with the play call. They just called the perfect play to counter it.

However the issue was Blacklock was out of the game on that 92 yard run. If we are going to run a high risk play that exposes us to a run up the middle like that, better make sure our best DT is in. He wasn't

nwlafrog

I have no problem with calling safety zone blitzes with the opponent backed up like that, especially considering they hadnt done much up the middle all game. The defense we called on the 92 yard run was a good call but you can not let the RB get by the first level if it is an inside run. It was and we paid for it. I have no problem with the call because we were trying to force a turnover or back them up more with the play call. They just called the perfect play to counter it.

However the issue was Blacklock was out of the game on that 92 yard run. If we are going to run a high risk play that exposes us to a run up the middle like that, better make sure our best DT is in. He wasn't
That is kind of my point. It really wasn’t a good play call with Blacklock not on the field. He would have ripped sonny to pieces if the roles were switched.Its just gary being Gary and that’s basically all there is.

no matter how any one wants to dissect the play calls, we gave up 3 football fields on the ground alone. It’s surprising that it was only a 1 score game at the end.

mgsouthpaw

I think the school and athletics department needs to decide if being competitive in the Big 12 is sufficient or if it wants to try and go for the conference championships, CFP and national championships. If the latter is the choice then the current structure is very unlikely to produce that result unless there’s a significant amount of good fortune and serendipity.

i’ll take competitive in the big 12 for the win, chuck!

LVH

And about half of those 301 rushing yards were on two plays. This defense just continually gives up big plays. OSU offense never moved inside the red zone but still scored 34 points.

Too many people are focusing on the 300 yards or big 92 yard run. Whether it was a 9.2 yard run or 92 yard run is irrelevant. In football there are offensive plays that are hard counters to defensive plays and vice versa. Oklahoma State got lucky and ran the perfect play to counter our safety zone blitz on the 92 yard run. Same thing with Skyler Thompson in the K State game. They had the perfect play to counter. Sometimes it happens.

Reminds me of our game at Oklahoma in 2008 where we got burned on tunnel screens 3 different times when we sent one too many blitzers. Apart from those plays our defense actually played against Bradford & Co. pretty well in that game. I felt the same way today. Our defense held up fine apart from 2 long runs where the offense just happened to run the perfect play to our play call.

4th. down

Who’s responsible on the staff for the 4 turnovers?

Sno, no one answered. Who is responsible for Reagor stop running his route, who is responsible for Stephens dropping a 3rd. down throw at the sticks, Wells dropped a 1st. down pass. Everyone gets the drift -WE WERE NOT READY TO PLAY. Who's responsible for that? Why have we forgotten how to tackle? I will answer - the players, the position coaches and GP - Guilty as charged.

LVH

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way trying to minimize the yardage total just because of the big plays. Quite the opposite actually. The number of big plays we gave up today and in all of our losses are a serious problem.

That's always been the MO of this defense - even in the MWC days. Its the opposite of a bend dont break approach. You go for 3 and outs and disruption at the expense of a big play here and there. The idea is that they only connect on a few big plays. The problem is its easier to connect on big plays when you are playing from ahead or do not fear the other team's offense.

CountryFrog

Too many people are focusing on the 300 yards or big 92 yard run. Whether it was a 9.2 yard run or 92 yard run is irrelevant. In football there are offensive plays that are hard counters to defensive plays and vice versa. Oklahoma State got lucky and ran the perfect play to counter our safety zone blitz on the 92 yard run. Same thing with Skyler Thompson in the K State game. They had the perfect play to counter. Sometimes it happens.

Reminds me of our game at Oklahoma in 2008 where we got burned on tunnel screens 3 different times when we sent one too many blitzers. Apart from those plays our defense actually played against Bradford & Co. pretty well in that game. I felt the same way today. Our defense held up fine apart from 2 long runs where the offense just happened to run the perfect play to our play call.
You're right, sometimes it does happen. The problem is that it happened way too much in this game and throughout the season. Whether it's a perfect call by the other team, one guy being in the wrong spot, a missed tackle, whatever, this defense has a real problem limiting big plays and doesn't make nearly enough big plays themselves (sacks, turnovers) to offset that.

CountryFrog

That's always been the MO of this defense - even in the MWC days. Its the opposite of a bend dont break approach. You go for 3 and outs and disruption at the expense of a big play here and there. The idea is that they only connect on a few big plays. The problem is its easier to connect on big plays when you are playing from ahead or do not fear the other team's offense.
It's absolutely the MO of Gary's defense. It's just not producing very good results this year.

LVH

It's absolutely the MO of Gary's defense. It's just not producing very good results this year.

Because the "clean up crew" are not playing well. Linebacker opposite Wallow and the 2 ends are the safety valves. When they dont make plays there are ripple effects.

Mean Purple

Sno, no one answered. Who is responsible for Reagor stop running his route, who is responsible for Stephens dropping a 3rd. down throw at the sticks, Wells dropped a 1st. down pass. Everyone gets the drift -WE WERE NOT READY TO PLAY. Who's responsible for that? Why have we forgotten how to tackle? I will answer - the players, the position coaches and GP - Guilty as charged.
Some were saying the Reagor got jammed up on that. But that's where a rcvr has to make a move and get around. If he was so beat up that it was impacting, then maybe hit Barber more?

Mean Purple

You hit the nail on the head with that one. GP even said in an interview earlier this year that he focuses playing defense that way. (Interview with the Full Ride show in ESPNU SXM). Said that in this league, you can't just sit in base. I get that. Problem is, you can't just go balls to walls as well. If you have young players at key spots, you have to call with that in mind. Last week, he didn't. Commented post show that he didn't. And it made a heck of a difference.

It is a complicated defense, even for seniors.