• The KillerFrogs

Medal of Honor

YA

I knew a guy who received the MOH for his actions in Korea. I got to talking to him playing golf one time and finally got up the nerve to ask him about it. He said he didn't like that he received it. Said he was no different or any more special than any of the other guys he served with. He said he hated the way people treated him special and the recognition he received all the time. Said a big component of it was that he felt guilty that he made it back and a lot of his guys didn't. I remember being really floored by his response. I've since seen interviews with other recipients of the award say similar things. Pretty humble guys.
Yep!!

Watch this series, they all say the same as your friend https://www.netflix.com/title/80169786

SuperBarrFrog

I bet he’d be honored. I know I’d be honored to have him come.

I’m not sure why you think someone being honored for putting his life on the line for all of us is weird. Our stadium is named after someone that didn’t go to TCU. There are buildings on campus named after people that didn’t go to TCU. I’m not sure what makes it weird.

Because he has nothing to do with TCU other than marrying an alum. It makes no sense. Please correct me if I’m wrong and he donates time or money to TCU. If his only connection is marriage it seems silly to me.

Mean Purple

I think this is the engagement I got to read about via a published report through the Army Lessons Learned folks.
Then saw a documentary about it.
Those guys went through a very tough battle.
Amazing how tough those guys are.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Because he has nothing to do with TCU other than marrying an alum. It makes no sense. Please correct me if I’m wrong and he donates time or money to TCU. If his only connection is marriage it seems silly to me.

I’m guessing you are in a sad small minority. I think he has contributed something more valuable to us all than money. And he has contributed more time in places I’m sure you wouldn’t want to see for all Americans.

SuperBarrFrog

I’m guessing you are in a sad small minority. I think he has contributed something more valuable to us all than money. And he has contributed more time in places I’m sure you wouldn’t want to see for all Americans.
But it has nothing to do with tcu. You don’t seem to understand. He’s already received the highest honor in the country. What is he point of being honored by a school you did not attend? Very A&M as stated earlier.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
But it has nothing to do with tcu. You don’t seem to understand. He’s already received the highest honor in the country. What is he point of being honored by a school you did not attend? Very A&M as stated earlier.

Where is written we can only honor TCU people? He’d be honored as an American. I guess we need to toss out Jim Wright’s collections since he had nothing to to do with TCU or not allow fly overs by non TCU pilots, and besides the flyover has nothing to do with TCU.

SuperBarrFrog

Where is written we can only honor TCU people? He’d be honored as an American. I guess we need to toss out Jim Wright’s collections since he had nothing to to do with TCU or not allow fly overs by non TCU pilots, and besides the flyover has nothing to do with TCU.

I’ll stop. This is has gotten dumb. What a beating.

The Degenerate Frog

We had one MoH recipient in my rifle company on our 07-08 deployment. (Sal Guinta B/2/503 PIR 173d ABCT) and 3 total (all living) in the Battalion during the deployment. I was on R&R during during the op so I didn't get to witness it, although I got to help with the MoH nomination packet.

I had an invite to the MoH ceremony in 2010, but my unit at the time would not let me leave without recycling the training that I was in at the time. I still can't believe that.

For one of the other MOHs, they guy who received it (SPC Kyle White), had the same name as our BN Medical Platoon leader who is a TCU alum (MAJ.. formerly LT Kyle White). Nonetheless, LT White got lots of facebook requests and high fives from people thinking he was the MoH recipient.

If interested, watch the documentary Restrepo as it followed our entire 15 month deployment and was nominated for an Academy Award.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
We had one MoH recipient in my rifle company on our 07-08 deployment. (Sal Guinta B/2/503 PIR 173d ABCT) and 3 total (all living) in the Battalion during the deployment. I was on R&R during during the op so I didn't get to witness it, although I got to help with the MoH nomination packet.

I had an invite to the MoH ceremony in 2010, but my unit at the time would not let me leave without recycling the training that I was in at the time. I still can't believe that.

For one of the other MOHs, they guy who received it (SPC Kyle White), had the same name as our BN Medical Platoon leader who is a TCU alum (MAJ.. formerly LT Kyle White). Nonetheless, LT White got lots of facebook requests and high fives from people thinking he was the MoH recipient.

If interested, watch the documentary Restrepo as it followed our entire 15 month deployment and was nominated for an Academy Award.

That was an excellent documentary.

Mean Purple

Very cool

Also, thanks for your service, Sky Soldier. Hope you got some time in Vicenza as well as in theater.

steelfrog

Tier 1

Restrepo is very interesting as is the accompanying Sebastian Junger book, War; the video guy from Restrepo (Tim Hetherington) later died during the Libyan civil war -- he was a badass!

Anyway, Junger's book central theme is that our combat guys (which is a small subset of those who serve in the military) have trouble when they come back finding the comraderie and adrenaline they had over there, and hampers them from reintegrating into society. Steel has a good friend who served 4 tours with the 2nd Ranger Bat in Afghanistan, and this is exactly the problem he is having -- disengaging from that world.

Eight

Restrepo is very interesting as is the accompanying Sebastian Junger book, War; the video guy from Restrepo (Tim Hetherington) later died during the Libyan civil war -- he was a badass!

Anyway, Junger's book central theme is that our combat guys (which is a small subset of those who serve in the military) have trouble when they come back finding the comraderie and adrenaline they had over there, and hampers them from reintegrating into society. Steel has a good friend who served 4 tours with the 2nd Ranger Bat in Afghanistan, and this is exactly the problem he is having -- disengaging from that world.

this has been discussed in multiple studies and talking with friends who have served something that a number of groups are trying to help vets with as they try to mesh with the rest of us.

one other thing i have heard commonly is difficulty with the ambiguity of this world versus the black and white reality of combat. a friend put it this way to me, each time they left on patrol his primary focus was getting every back home safe and sound period.

none of the grey ambiguous bull [ Finebaum ] that bogs done so much of our lives

The Degenerate Frog

Sebastian Junger and Tim Hethrington are friends of all of us as they spent the entire 15 month deployment with us (rotating in and out for 2-3 week blocks). Tim was killed by an RPG in Misrata, Libya several years later.

I was in 274 firefights during this deployment, lost half of my Platoon, and came home a different person, angry at everything, everyone, and no desire to socialize with family or friends. I've been to the edge and back several times and fortunately, Im not at that level anymore.

I'e been through the gamut of counseling, and psychotherapy. I find the cocktail of meds that I am prescribed to be much more helpful.

So after 7 deployments, and maybe one more... I will retire from the Army in 2.5 years. I've been preparing by trying to identify my purpose beyond Army-life for several years now.

Ive decided on medical school, assuming any are willing to accept a 40yr old non-traditional student. I'd like to eventually work with the VA, specifically in psychiatry to learn more about my own condition, and to address the issues that are going to continue getting worse as my generation retires from military service.

Hey TCU... want to give me free tuition to your new medical school? If not, I will be going public. My GI Bill already went into your bank account.

atofrog

Contributor

Thank you, as well as several others on this site, for your service!

I literally just re-watched some videos of Sal Giunta, Clint Romesha, Ty Carter, John Chapman...simply incredible what these guys accomplished for their buddies.

Not sure if you are in Fort Worth or close enough to get here, but I hope you can make the Baylor game next weekend. That game is Heroes Day. I am already working with several current TCU student vets to attend the game and I would like to extend that offer to you as well.

Please call, email me at TCU or DM me on this site so we can work out the details. S.conner@tcu.edu

Thank you again for your service and sacrifice! Go Frogs!

Sean Conner
11M vet from A/5/18 with 3rd AD

Shorty

Sebastian Junger and Tim Hethrington are friends of all of us as they spent the entire 15 month deployment with us (rotating in and out for 2-3 week blocks). Tim was killed by an RPG in Misrata, Libya several years later.

I was in 274 firefights during this deployment, lost half of my Platoon, and came home a different person, angry at everything, everyone, and no desire to socialize with family or friends. I've been to the edge and back several times and fortunately, Im not at that level anymore.

I'e been through the gamut of counseling, and psychotherapy. I find the [ the old ricardo ]tail of meds that I am prescribed to be much more helpful.

So after 7 deployments, and maybe one more... I will retire from the Army in 2.5 years. I've been preparing by trying to identify my purpose beyond Army-life for several years now.

Ive decided on medical school, assuming any are willing to accept a 40yr old non-traditional student. I'd like to eventually work with the VA, specifically in psychiatry to learn more about my own condition, and to address the issues that are going to continue getting worse as my generation retires from military service.

Hey TCU... want to give me free tuition to your new medical school? If not, I will be going public. My GI Bill already went into your bank account.
I know a doctor that went through medical school after being an army ranger. He was in Just Cause, Desert Storm, and Task Force Ranger/Gothic Serpent in Somalia. Has said very little but I know he saw and did some [ Finebaum ]. He's been very successful as a doctor.

FrogSweep

Our own Horace Carswell, of Northside HS and TCU fame, was awarded a posthumous CMH. Of course, the NAS types are doing their best to remove his name from the base.

"Born in Fort Worth, Texas, to Horace Seaver Carswell, Sr. and Bertha (Rea) Carswell, Carswell attended North Side High School, where he played football, with his highlight being the winning touchdown he scored on Armistice Day in a game against Wichita Falls in 1933. After graduation from North Side, Horace attended college at Texas A&M University for a year as a member of the class of 1938, and then began attending Texas Christian University (since four of his uncles were Methodist preachers) where he graduated in August 1939 with a bachelor's degree in physical education. Among his teammates on the Horned Frog football team were quarterbacks Sammy Baugh and Davey O'Brien.

On a double date while still at TCU, Horace met a co-ed featured in one of the yearbook's beauty pages, by the name of Virginia Adaline Ede. Virginia was from a ranching family from the west Texas town of San Angelo. They were married in October 1941."
Thanks for remembering Horace Carswell. I've always thought it sad that they removed his name from the base that served us well during the SAC days.