• The KillerFrogs

Earl Campbell said some things.....

CountryFrog

People are entitled to their opinions. He is a black guy. I won't fault him for wanting to have a black QB. And they did win a title back in 2005 with Vince Young and have had a long drought since James Street won them one in what 1969. That being said, you can certainly find exceptions to his list since 1995 who won titles:

Scott Frost
Danny Wuerffel
Chris Weinke
Josh Heupel
Ken Dorsey
Matt Flynn
Matt Leinart
Tim Tebow
Trevor Lawrence

The other thing is his list is interesting. For starters, Tua is a Samoan and not an African American. JT Barrett isn't exactly elite. Who is to say that those other guys may not have done well at UT and their revolving door of coaches and chaos.

He also ignores that UT has recruited black quarterbacks but they just haven't done especially well like Tyrone Swoopes and Jerrod Heard. And he has made a list of black quarterbacks who he thinks they should have offered instead. But we could also make also make a list of white quarterbacks from the state of Texas who have performed very well that could include names like:

Drew Brees
Baker Mayfield
Johnny Manziel

Even Buechele is putting together a nice season at SMU and he started out at UT.

But let's get to the nitty gritty. Would Earl accept a partial injun like Sam Bradford or mixed race like Pat Mahomes. Lol, this all gets silly real quick.
You've probably put far too much serious analysis into this.

Moose Stuff

Odd to me that he mentions Tua (who isn’t black), Jalen Hurts (who got beat out by the guy who isn’t black), and JT Barrett who didn’t really win anything but does not mention Kyler Murray.

CountryFrog

Odd to me that he mentions Tua (who isn’t black), Jalen Hurts (who got beat out by the guy who isn’t black), and JT Barrett who didn’t really win anything but does not mention Kyler Murray.
There are plenty of odd things about what he said. I think just the overall efficiency of amount of oddness per word spoken is what I was most impressed by.

Salfrog

Tier 1
If this had been a white man saying you can only win with a white QB, everyone would be outraged. Since it was a black man saying this, Earl Campbell, well it's ok...

dawg

I was curious, so I went back and looked at MNC-winning QBs since 1990 (African-American QBs in bold. /no racist). Split is nearly even. I was also surprised that only four QBs won the Heisman and a MNC the same season; thought that number would have been higher.

1990: Shawn Jones & Mark Brunell
1991: Gino Torretta
1992: Jay Barker
1993: Charlie Ward (Heisman)
1994: Tommy Frazier
1995: Tommy Frazier
1996: Danny Wuerffel (Heisman)
1997: Scott Frost & Brian Griese
1998: Tee Martin
1999: Chris Weinke

2000: Josh Heupel
2001: Ken Dorsey
2002: Craig Krenzel
2003: Matt Mauck & Matt Leinart
2004: Matt Leinart (Heisman)
2005: Vince Young
2006: Chris Leak
2007: Matt Flynn
2008: Tim Tebow
2009: Greg McElroy

2010: Cam Newton (Heisman)
2011: AJ McCarron
2012: AJ McCarron
2013: Jameis Winston (Heisman)
2014: Cardale Jones/JT Barrett (Barrett started 12 regular season games; Jones the B1G title and CFP games)
2015: Jake Coker
2016: Deshaun Watson
2017: Jalen Hurts/Tua (for 1 half of the title game)
2018: Trevor Lawrence

What does that all mean? Not much. Teams can win with a white QB, teams can win with a black QB. What really helps, though, is to have great skill position talent and a good/great defense around the QB.

Last edited: