• The KillerFrogs

Sonny Dykes coaching opportunities

Eight

I don't think Sonny will be in a hurry to leave the state - his family, especially his wife, really want to stay in Texas from what I have been told directly and heard indirectly.

But I also don't think he has some love for a G5 job either - SMU won't have the money to compete with a P5 school financially. You aren't going to pay your football coach over half the money you get from the conference. In the end, I am guess he will be at SMU until a P5 job (or the right one) in and around the state of Texas comes calling.

I can't see a Dykes ever turning down Tech for example - and if he has a top candidate, I can't imagine them not offering him the job when it comes open next.

My only question is can he win long enough for one of those "ideal" jobs to open up and he still be a leading candidate.

interesting question you close with about the time it would take for the ideal job to open for him.

in respect to pay, morris was making just over $2M a year at smu and i would find it tough to believe sonny would get less.

Raw Frog

one thing they do which no one hear seems to have noticed is a coaching staff that was built to recruit and specifically recruit the metroplex

ra'shaad samples played at skyline for he dad reginald who is now at ducanville and has ties throughout the metropx.

jeff jordan was a long time coach in garland and has very strong ties to the thsca

scott nady built the dallas episcopal program and has ties throughout the public and private school systems in the metroplex

blake brockemeyer is an analyst and brings connections to ft worth.

they brought in the guy who ran the internal operations for ou's recruiting.

multiple of their staff (coaches, support, analyst) have worked in the state of texas with ties throughout the state and 5-6 of their staffers currently support recruiting .

tcu didn't evolve their recruiting until luper came to campus and have taken some steps backward.

believe as you wish, but talking to friends who coach in high school at programs that have college coaches stopping by on a regular basis tcu is not a program that is pushing to make the inroads like baylor and smu are right now and if anyone believes the tcu brand is established is solely mistaken.

there have been some serious missteps the past few seasons and you can see it by the lack of presence in the metroplex recruiting.

So you are saying that Sonny has put together a vibrant and potent staff?

Billy Clyde

I have never seen grown ass men freak out over half a season and start wetting the bed like I have seen in this thread.

Lol, Giving due respect and even admiration to a traditional rival which is at the moment doing an undeniably great job is, "bed-wetting," according to you, but WE are the ones "freaking out." Mmmmmm, okay, Snowflake.

Wexahu

Wrong. What I am, is impressed by the job Sonny is doing in taking a long-time downtrodden program to the National #16 Ranking. Sorry if that hurts people's feelers, but dam give respect where it's due. Instead of saying, "It's just one year, he can't possibly continue improving things there can he?" Ask yourself, "Why the hell NOT?" (Hint: there's zero reason why not)

BTW all those same weak arguments are EXACTLY the same ones Baylor and Tech fans tried against TCU all those years. You mocked then, what you try to promote, now.

If I am freaked out, it's by our failure, not by SMU's success. Don't try to conflate the two, they are not the same even though it may feel like it right now.

Can we at least let the season finish and kind of let the dust settle? I'm not trashing on SMU at all, but let's have a little perspective. How about seeing if SMU can put a couple good seasons together before declaring them on the verge of national prominence? I mean, jesus, they might still lose 2-3 games this season, if they play like they did last night they probably will.

Yeah, we're struggling. But that's not all that relevant to SMU.

Billy Clyde

ESPN: How SMU pulled off college football's most unlikely turnaround

DALLAS -- For 40 years, SMU has made Sonny Dykes feel at home.

Sonny's dad, Spike, was a legend in Texas coaching circles. He spent 37 of his 40 years in the profession coaching high school or college in the state. But when Spike took a job at New Mexico (and then Mississippi State), 8-year-old Sonny needed a Texas team to keep him anchored to his roots. He quickly chose SMU.

So a few years later, in 1982, Spike pulled some strings. He got Sonny a field pass to the SMU-Texas Tech game for his 13th birthday. He watched from the Mustangs' sideline as receiver Bobby Leach became known as the "Miracle Man," catching a lateral on a bounce and running it back 91 yards with 4 seconds left for the winning score in a 34-27 win over the Red Raiders to preserve a 13-game winning streak.

"I just kind of grew up an SMU guy," Sonny Dykes said, rattling off his appreciation for the vaunted "Pony Express" teams with the two superstar running backs and the option quarterback he emulated in his front yard. "I loved Eric Dickerson. I loved Craig James. [Quarterback] Lance McIlhenny was my favorite player."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...led-college-football-most-unlikely-turnaround

Eight

I have never seen grown ass men freak out over half a season and start wetting the bed like I have seen in this thread.

think want and say what you want as i wont' make or break my day.

i agree smu is long from being established and i am not looking merely at their record in terms of the direction of the program.

sonny has some very good things in place and i am hearing very positive things from some high school coaches in the area that has caught their attention.

my thoughts on tcu as well aren't driven by this season. heck, if they win on saturday that doesn't mean the problems are gone as there are some real issues.

if noticing trends are what you call wetting the bed so be it, but the frogs didn't just wake up and find themselves getting shut out in the metroplex this year and behind for next year just as they didn't just start the season and unexpectedly find no experience at defensive end and only one experience linebacker.

mc1502

SMU is a well-funded outfit. Plenty of money there to keep Dykes happy for a long time to come. As he "observed" during his time in FW, once you find a good gig, stay there. Chasing the Big Time Job is ultimately a bitter fruit, especially so in the sad days of the Transfer Portal.
That last sentence is rather ironic, being that SMU's entire team this year was acquired through the portal

SMU isn't ever going to outrecuit TCU. But where they will have a lot of success is getting really good transfer talent especially those who are not expected to be NFL talent, but can be kick butt college talent (The talent might get a shot at the NFL too, not saying they won't, but its not expected) SMU has a prime location and is a great academic school that can provide those transfers a good degree to get a great job in the real world. We are seeing it now with SMU having what like 35 transfers total, some not even playing yet. And Dykes is not leaving SMU he is there to stay. Not sure transfers is a formula for success but hey JUCOs made Snyder a legend at Kansas State with the mixture of high school kids that develop (with each year getting better high school kids with sustainable success).

Eight

SMU isn't ever going to outrecuit TCU. But where they will have a lot of success is getting really good transfer talent especially those who are not expected to be NFL talent, but can be kick butt college talent (The talent might get a shot at the NFL too, not saying they won't, but its not expected) SMU has a prime location and is a great academic school that can provide those transfers a good degree to get a great job in the real world. We are seeing it now with SMU having what like 35 transfers total, some not even playing yet. And Dykes is not leaving SMU he is there to stay. Not sure transfers is a formula for success but hey JUCOs made Snyder a legend at Kansas State with the mixture of high school kids that develop (with each year getting better high school kids with sustainable success).

dykes doesn't have to out recruit tcu or take kids from texas or ou.

he needs to out recruit the other aac teams and then once a year out coach and have his team out play tcu.

really not that far off the model gary used at tcu and smu can do that by recruiting the hell out of that 51-100 on the top metroplex recruits and establishing relationships with the kids who do go elsewhere and decide to transfer back home.

YA

Lol, Giving due respect and even admiration to a traditional rival which is at the moment doing an undeniably great job is, "bed-wetting," according to you, but WE are the ones "freaking out." Mmmmmm, okay, Snowflake.
Good lord man--you might look in the mirror first, then maybe understand the terms you posted and what they mean and don't mean

netty2424

smu doesn't have to out recruit texas or ou for kids. there are enough kids in the metroplex who are that next level coming out of high school who are really good players.

one of the advantages of having those area relationships is coaches who see these kids and refer them back to you.

one of the biggest challenges in sales no doubt is how to continue to evolve how and where you are delivering your message while staying tapped into your core markets.

consider that half of the players that started for tcu last weekend are from either metroplex or houston area high schools. whether that is a good thing or not in terms of on the field performance i can't say, but it shows to me that once what were two core markets are now areas where you are struggling to have success.

why? i understand expanding the focus to find talent. best example is going to ohio for a player you think is an elite defensive tackle prospect.

i know i keep saying it and some disagree, but what i am told by friends who coach in high schools that tcu is slipping in terms of brand.
Maybe the brand is, I don’t really know. I just think it’s hard to take a handful of coaches words that aren’t getting stroked all the time. Only so many resources and a ton of coaches out there.

Billy Clyde

Good lord man--you might look in the mirror first, then maybe understand the terms you posted and what they mean and don't mean

Yeah, ummm. . . Maybe just once in a while, try making your point(if you have one) without resorting to name-calling, and you can maybe have a little credibility making this post. Who knows, you might like it.
OTOH, name-calling seems to be your stock in trade, so maybe that is the entirety of your, "point," as it were.

YA

Yeah, ummm. . . Maybe just once in a while, try making your point(if you have one) without resorting to name-calling, and you can maybe have a little credibility making this post. Who knows, you might like it.
OTOH, name-calling seems to be your stock in trade, so maybe that is the entirety of your, "point," as it were.
Ha, ha, you are so sensitive since it was a global comment about people freaking out about smu and wasn't personally directed at you, yet you took it as such.

TK2000

Plus they’ve got the old strength coach Kaz Kazadi from Baylor during the Briles days. I’m sure they’ll average 330 across the O Line once his “philosophy” kicks in.

Sonny’s married to my buddies sister. I could see him sticking around if SMU keeps paying him right and hoping for a P5 bid. You don’t need a bunch of 4 stars to win the American. We’ll see if he can keep up the momentum and build something.

we’ll beat them by 17 plus next year