• The KillerFrogs

Sonny Dykes coaching opportunities

YA

Good lord fellas!!

smu is not and will not be his last job for Dykes. LOL at some of you guys already throwing TCU program away with ONE good year for smu. As if they are going to replace 21 years of sustained success of TCU's long game efforts in one freaking season of winning for them.

This isn't the TCU of old and this isn't Fort Worth of old either. Some of you guys need to lose the little man complex to a school that has one thing over us, academic rating. They have nothing else.

Billy Clyde

yeah, but how long can he gamble on the transfer portal workin out to get him the players he needs?

If he keeps this [ Finebaum ] up he won't have to... They could do with football what Larry Brown did for a minute with basketball... There's been a pent-up demand there for football that hasn't been satisfied for a long, long time. If he can capture that kind of momentum, I could easily see some pretty high-level Dallas kids staying home to play, more so than Fort Worth kids at TCU.

YA

If he keeps this [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] up he won't have to... They could do with football what Larry Brown did for a minute with basketball... There's been a pent-up demand there for football that hasn't been satisfied for a long, long time. If he can capture that kind of momentum, I could easily see some pretty high-level Dallas kids staying home to play, more so than Fort Worth kids at TCU.
Ha Ha--good one

They have the same issues of getting high profile kids to stay, just like houston typically.

Until they solve the P5 thing, they will always lose out on some kids just for that fact alone, just like we did before the Big 12.

Wexahu

I could easily see some pretty high-level Dallas kids staying home to play, more so than Fort Worth kids at TCU.

Why? The schools mirror each other pretty well except for one huge advantage TCU has by playing in the Big 12 vs the AAC, and having a stadium that is 40% larger (for people who think that matters a lot). Neither FW or Dallas are "college towns" but FW is a hell of a lot closer to being one than Dallas.

hornedfrog86

SMU is a well-funded outfit. Plenty of money there to keep Dykes happy for a long time to come. As he "observed" during his time in FW, once you find a good gig, stay there. Chasing the Big Time Job is ultimately a bitter fruit, especially so in the sad days of the Transfer Portal.
Especially if they are paying like they were in the 80s.

Eight

Good lord fellas!!

smu is not and will not be his last job for Dykes. LOL at some of you guys already throwing TCU program away with ONE good year for smu. As if they are going to replace 21 years of sustained success of TCU's long game efforts in one freaking season of winning for them.

This isn't the TCU of old and this isn't Fort Worth of old either. Some of you guys need to lose the little man complex to a school that has one thing over us, academic rating. They have nothing else.

one thing they do which no one hear seems to have noticed is a coaching staff that was built to recruit and specifically recruit the metroplex

ra'shaad samples played at skyline for he dad reginald who is now at ducanville and has ties throughout the metropx.

jeff jordan was a long time coach in garland and has very strong ties to the thsca

scott nady built the dallas episcopal program and has ties throughout the public and private school systems in the metroplex

blake brockemeyer is an analyst and brings connections to ft worth.

they brought in the guy who ran the internal operations for ou's recruiting.

multiple of their staff (coaches, support, analyst) have worked in the state of texas with ties throughout the state and 5-6 of their staffers currently support recruiting .

tcu didn't evolve their recruiting until luper came to campus and have taken some steps backward.

believe as you wish, but talking to friends who coach in high school at programs that have college coaches stopping by on a regular basis tcu is not a program that is pushing to make the inroads like baylor and smu are right now and if anyone believes the tcu brand is established is solely mistaken.

there have been some serious missteps the past few seasons and you can see it by the lack of presence in the metroplex recruiting.

YA

one thing they do which no one hear seems to have noticed is a coaching staff that was built to recruit and specifically recruit the metroplex

ra'shaad samples played at skyline for he dad reginald who is now at ducanville and has ties throughout the metropx.

jeff jordan was a long time coach in garland and has very strong ties to the thsca

scott nady built the dallas episcopal program and has ties throughout the public and private school systems in the metroplex

blake brockemeyer is an analyst and brings connections to ft worth.

they brought in the guy who ran the internal operations for ou's recruiting.

multiple of their staff (coaches, support, analyst) have worked in the state of texas with ties throughout the state and 5-6 of their staffers currently support recruiting .

tcu didn't evolve their recruiting until luper came to campus and have taken some steps backward.

believe as you wish, but talking to friends who coach in high school at programs that have college coaches stopping by on a regular basis tcu is not a program that is pushing to make the inroads like baylor and smu are right now and if anyone believes the tcu brand is established is solely mistaken.

there have been some serious missteps the past few seasons and you can see it by the lack of presence in the metroplex recruiting.
Okay--lets just shut the whole thing down thing since Eight said we are doing nothing and we are regressing. And before you respond with I got my head in the sand BS, let's just say all of what you say is not the gospel fact either, but rather hearsay on what coaches are doing at HS.

But, go ahead and cry and whine that TCU is falling behind smu and they are trending up and we are trending down. Whatever makes you feel better today

Eight

Okay--lets just shut the whole thing down thing since Eight said we are doing nothing and we are regressing. And before you respond with I got my head in the sand BS, let's just say all of what you say is not the gospel fact either, but rather hearsay on what coaches are doing at HS.

But, go ahead and cry and whine that TCU is falling behind smu and they are trending up and we are trending down. Whatever makes you feel better today

over react much?

i didn't say we are screwed or that smu will become a dominant program.

only that sonny has put a staff in placing that was designed to mine this state of talent and they are building inroads and that tcu has lost some traction in recruiting in the state.

yes, tcu has taken some steps backwards in recruiting the metroplex and as it stands right now roughly half this class will be coming from outside the state of texas.

right now the frogs have 1 commit from the metroplex and none from houston. how many coaches are covering that area?

last year the frogs had 3 commits from the metroplex and 1 from houston.

the two largest areas in this state, heck two of the richest recruiting grounds in the country and the frogs are on tract to pull 5 kids from those 2 areas in 2 classes.

i guess what i am being told by friends in those high schools are wrong, but here are the numbers from the prior 5 tcu recruiting classes

2018 - 7 kids from dfw and houston

2017 - 7 kids from dfw and houston

2016 - 10 kids from dfw and houston

2015 - 13 kids from dfw and houston

2014 - 8 kids from dfw and houston

i most likely am completely full of [ Finebaum ], but that sure as heck looks like a trend from some reason and what i find interesting is the frogs haven't expanded their haul from lousiana even though the frogs went to the monroe area to hire their director of high school relations

Limey Frog

well, he’s 8-0 right now. I can’t imagine him not using this as springboard to greener pastures. Sending smu back down. Tennessee will need a coach, maybe Arkansas too. ACC will have Miami and maybe FSU if taggert loses 2 more games. Okie State if the Mullet moves on.

Any other ideas where this guy lands?

Sounds like what people said about GP circa 2002-12, no? Asking the question would seem to SMU fans both arrogant and desperate: "Who would want to stay at TCU SMU forever? That place sucks! Gary Patterson Sonny Dykes will jump ship the first good offer he gets! *God, I really hope he does, because it's embarrassing having these minnows kick our tail at football.*"

Have we become what we hate? An excuse-making, sub-.500 Big XII hanger-on/also-ran?

Here's my preferred solution:

1. Root for our rivals SMU/Baylor to be as good as possible; meaningful rivalries with good programs are healthy and necessary to sustained relevance.

2. TCU football not to suck.

3. Beat SMU/Baylor.

How to achieve item 2:

a) Gary fires everybody.
b) Gary hires some people who are competent instead.

Until then, best of luck Sonny Dukes: hope you go 14-0.

CountryFrog

Outside of GP, is there a single example in all of college football of a coach choosing to spend his career at a non P5 school while having major success? And who knows if that would've been the case with GP if we didn't go to the Big 12.

netty2424

over react much?

i didn't say we are screwed or that smu will become a dominant program.

only that sonny has put a staff in placing that was designed to mine this state of talent and they are building inroads and that tcu has lost some traction in recruiting in the state.

yes, tcu has taken some steps backwards in recruiting the metroplex and as it stands right now roughly half this class will be coming from outside the state of texas.

right now the frogs have 1 commit from the metroplex and none from houston. how many coaches are covering that area?

last year the frogs had 3 commits from the metroplex and 1 from houston.

the two largest areas in this state, heck two of the richest recruiting grounds in the country and the frogs are on tract to pull 5 kids from those 2 areas in 2 classes.

i guess what i am being told by friends in those high schools are wrong, but here are the numbers from the prior 5 tcu recruiting classes

2018 - 7 kids from dfw and houston

2017 - 7 kids from dfw and houston

2016 - 10 kids from dfw and houston

2015 - 13 kids from dfw and houston

2014 - 8 kids from dfw and houston

i most likely am completely full of [ steaming pile of Orgeron ], but that sure as heck looks like a trend from some reason and what i find interesting is the frogs haven't expanded their haul from lousiana even though the frogs went to the monroe area to hire their director of high school relations
Don’t know if you’re right or wrong, but maybe it’s an actual strategy by GP & Co to expand the footprint. Just because SMU is focusing on the area doesn’t mean they replaced TCU with better efforts. You’ve mentioned you’re in sales, some deals you just walk away from for whatever reason. Doesn’t make sense for you, or you’re more profitable in other deals, which require shifted focus.

Not saying TCU is waking away, just saying maybe their efforts are calculated elsewhere.

SMU isn’t going to land guys overnight from Texas just because they have new helmets with the local county sanitation decals. They’ll still have to compete with the same pressures TCU does in Aggie, UT, Baylor, Tech, etc, etc, etc.

And not to mention the fact that they’re not a P5 school. That’s a major factor in most cases. So while their roster may end up chalk full of Texas kids, doesn’t mean these were kids that chose SMU over TCU.

CryptoMiner

Good lord fellas!!

I will say it was sure fun while it lasted.

Eight

Outside of GP, is there a single example in all of college football of a coach choosing to spend his career at a non P5 school while having major success? And who knows if that would've been the case with GP if we didn't go to the Big 12.

not trying to be funny, but the closest thing i can think of is sonny's dad spike who was at tech 13-14 years.

i think sonny has been around the college game a very long time with his dad's time at tech and his time as well, he will turn 50 in november, and the question becomes what do you want to accomplish in what is the back part of your career?

let's say smu runs the table and ends the season undefeated. what truly elite job is going to open up?

usc? maybe, but sonny wasn't comfortable in no cal and while so cal is different it isn't texas for sonny.

michigan? seriously, what truly great job will come open and do you want to leave a school that is willing to give you what you need to be competitive and pay you well with very little pressure for say mississippi state?

sonny saw up close the job his dad had in lubbock and gary has in ft worth where they were basically insulated from the pressures of p5 jobs.

steele raised the question and in part i am not sure i disagree that some of the advantages tcu had tin the mwc are gone and aren't coming back.

smu is in a great recruiting area, will never get the primary media focus which isn't a bad thing, appears willing to fund the program, and in the aac isn't having to fight schools with bottomless pockets.

Eight

Don’t know if you’re right or wrong, but maybe it’s an actual strategy by GP & Co to expand the footprint. Just because SMU is focusing on the area doesn’t mean they replaced TCU with better efforts. You’ve mentioned you’re in sales, some deals you just walk away from for whatever reason. Doesn’t make sense for you, or you’re more profitable in other deals, which require shifted focus.

Not saying TCU is waking away, just saying maybe their efforts are calculated elsewhere.

SMU isn’t going to land guys overnight from Texas just because they have new helmets with the local county sanitation decals. They’ll still have to compete with the same pressures TCU does in Aggie, UT, Baylor, Tech, etc, etc, etc.

And not to mention the fact that they’re not a P5 school. That’s a major factor in most cases. So while their roster may end up chalk full of Texas kids, doesn’t mean these were kids that chose SMU over TCU.

smu doesn't have to out recruit texas or ou for kids. there are enough kids in the metroplex who are that next level coming out of high school who are really good players.

one of the advantages of having those area relationships is coaches who see these kids and refer them back to you.

one of the biggest challenges in sales no doubt is how to continue to evolve how and where you are delivering your message while staying tapped into your core markets.

consider that half of the players that started for tcu last weekend are from either metroplex or houston area high schools. whether that is a good thing or not in terms of on the field performance i can't say, but it shows to me that once what were two core markets are now areas where you are struggling to have success.

why? i understand expanding the focus to find talent. best example is going to ohio for a player you think is an elite defensive tackle prospect.

i know i keep saying it and some disagree, but what i am told by friends who coach in high schools that tcu is slipping in terms of brand.

Billy Clyde

Why? The schools mirror each other pretty well except for one huge advantage TCU has by playing in the Big 12 vs the AAC, and having a stadium that is 40% larger (for people who think that matters a lot). Neither FW or Dallas are "college towns" but FW is a hell of a lot closer to being one than Dallas.

You sound like you weren't around in the 80s for Pony Express. Yes, there are a million ways you can try to differentiate this from that, but bottom line is there are more people in Dallas, in particular a LOT more just-out-of-college young professionals who will flock to the neat, new toy in town.

Say whatever homer argument you want against Dallas vs. Fort Worth(and I'm one who thinks FW is 100X better than Dallas), but for a young high school kid who wants a flashy, party atmosphere, Dallas has more. . . lots more.

I don't know what the numbers say about D1/P5 quality recruits, but I'm betting Dallas's side of DFW has considerably more.

As alluded above but not stated outright, Sonny Dykes is the kind of guy who can absolutely charm Texas high school coaches into wanting very much to root for his success, and try to send him their best players.
Gary. . . for all his talents, is not.

SMU has substantial headroom from where they are now and where they have been, at least in terms of winning, recruiting, popularity, national credibility. They are very much looking like where we were 10 years ago: On the front edge of building something great, feeling like the sky's the limit.

TCU much more resembles a program that has peaked and is on the way down. Like Big Tuna said, You are what your record say you are. I personally haven't felt this pessimistic about TCU's outlook in almost 20 years, even when we struggled our first 2 years of B12. I sure as hell don't want to feel that way, but it's time to stop ignoring what we are seeing on the field on Saturdays.

flyfishingfrog

I don't think Sonny will be in a hurry to leave the state - his family, especially his wife, really want to stay in Texas from what I have been told directly and heard indirectly.

But I also don't think he has some love for a G5 job either - SMU won't have the money to compete with a P5 school financially. You aren't going to pay your football coach over half the money you get from the conference. In the end, I am guess he will be at SMU until a P5 job (or the right one) in and around the state of Texas comes calling.

I can't see a Dykes ever turning down Tech for example - and if he has a top candidate, I can't imagine them not offering him the job when it comes open next.

My only question is can he win long enough for one of those "ideal" jobs to open up and he still be a leading candidate.

Wexahu

You sound like you weren't around in the 80s for Pony Express. Yes, there are a million ways you can try to differentiate this from that, but bottom line is there are more people in Dallas, in particular a LOT more just-out-of-college young professionals who will flock to the neat, new toy in town.

Say whatever homer argument you want against Dallas vs. Fort Worth(and I'm one who thinks FW is 100X better than Dallas), but for a young high school kid who wants a flashy, party atmosphere, Dallas has more. . . lots more.

I don't know what the numbers say about D1/P5 quality recruits, but I'm betting Dallas's side of DFW has considerably more.

As alluded above but not stated outright, Sonny Dykes is the kind of guy who can absolutely charm Texas high school coaches into wanting very much to root for his success, and try to send him their best players.
Gary. . . for all his talents, is not.

SMU has substantial headroom from where they are now and where they have been, at least in terms of winning, recruiting, popularity, national credibility. They are very much looking like where we were 10 years ago: On the front edge of building something great, feeling like the sky's the limit.

TCU much more resembles a program that has peaked and is on the way down. Like Big Tuna said, You are what your record say you are. I personally haven't felt this pessimistic about TCU's outlook in almost 20 years, even when we struggled our first 2 years of B12. I sure as hell don't want to feel that way, but it's time to stop ignoring what we are seeing on the field on Saturdays.

You are freaking out over one decent season from SMU. Good grief.

Billy Clyde

You are freaking out over one decent season from SMU. Good grief.

Wrong. What I am, is impressed by the job Sonny is doing in taking a long-time downtrodden program to the National #16 Ranking. Sorry if that hurts people's feelers, but dam give respect where it's due. Instead of saying, "It's just one year, he can't possibly continue improving things there can he?" Ask yourself, "Why the hell NOT?" (Hint: there's zero reason why not)

BTW all those same weak arguments are EXACTLY the same ones Baylor and Tech fans tried against TCU all those years. You mocked then, what you try to promote, now.

If I am freaked out, it's by our failure, not by SMU's success. Don't try to conflate the two, they are not the same even though it may feel like it right now.