• The KillerFrogs

LHCGMFP -- 17th Highest Paid Coach

Is he yielding 17th best results?

The Iowa State guy who doubled us up would presumably kill to make $1.3mm more, and to live in D/FW and not Ames...

The guy who out-coached him last week makes less than half of GP...

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

In my opinion Gary exceeds 17th level performance. If anything he is underpaid. It’s not like he started at the current salary amount. He actually developed the revenue that pays all the staff salaries. He has accomplished every goal short of winning a Natty.

>17 bowl games in 19 seasons

>The most wins in school history

> 7 seasons finished in the top 10

>10 seasons with 11 wins

> 11 top 25 finishes

>10 seasons with awards for graduation rates

>5 seasons with the #1 ranked defence

>6 conference championships including the Big 12 on his 3rd year

>He is ranked 4th among all active coaches for overall winning percentage >167-63 .726 winning percentage

>22 national coach of the year awards

>238 all conference selections

>48 players drafted by NFL

>119 players invited to NFL camps

>Bowl Games:

1982 Independence Bowl

1993 Las Vegas Bowl

1997 Insight.com Bowl

1998 Sun Bowl (TCU)

1999 Mobile Alabama Bowl (TCU)

2000 Mobile Alabama Bowl (TCU)

2001 galleryfurniture.com Bowl (TCU)

2002 Liberty Bowl (TCU)

2003 Fort Worth Bowl (TCU)

2005 Houston Bowl (TCU)

2006 Poinsettia Bowl (TCU)

2007 Texas Bowl (TCU)

2008 Poinsettia Bowl (TCU)

2010 Fiesta Bowl (TCU)

2011 Rose Bowl (TCU)

2011 Poinsettia Bowl (TCU)

2012 Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl (TCU)

2014 Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (TCU)

2016 Valero Alamo Bowl (TCU)

2016 AutoZone Liberty Bowl (TCU)

2017 Valero Alamo Bowl (TCU)

2018 Cheez-It Bowl (TCU)

Brog

good question, rough count i had 12 coaches who have had teams ranked in top 10 in the playoff rankings between 2014-2081

saban - 5
meyer - 5
dabo - 4
stoopes- 2/ riley -2
patterson - 3
smart - 2
chryst - 2
franklin - 2
fisher - 2
freeze - 2

d'antonio - 2

interesting part is 4 of the 12 are no longer at the school they accomplished they feat.

stoopes retired, urban.....um....kinda retired, fisher left for atm, and freeze got terminated.

Man, I'd love to have your sources. They go all the way up to 2081? I can't even get past Saturday, 2019.

froginmn

I know his stance is all shtick but I for one wish steel and his many bad alias on this site would just shut up or go away.
DBcUtooh.jpg

SuperTFrog

In my opinion Gary exceeds 17th level performance. If anything he is underpaid. It’s not like he started at the current salary amount. He actually developed the revenue that pays all the staff salaries. He has accomplished every goal short of winning a Natty.

>10 seasons with 11 wins

> 11 top 25 finishes

>He is ranked 4th among all active coaches for overall winning percentage >167-63 .726 winning percentage

>Bowl Games:

1982 Independence Bowl

1993 Las Vegas Bowl

1997 Insight.com Bowl

1998 Sun Bowl (TCU)

2002 Liberty Bowl (TCU)

2005 Houston Bowl (TCU)

2007 Texas Bowl (TCU)

2010 Fiesta Bowl (TCU)

2011 Rose Bowl (TCU)

2018 Cheez-It Bowl (TCU)

Welcome to the board, Gary!

ftwfrog

>10 seasons with 11 wins

> 11 top 25 finishes

>Bowl Games:

1982 Independence Bowl

1993 Las Vegas Bowl

1997 Insight.com Bowl

1998 Sun Bowl (TCU)

2002 Liberty Bowl (TCU)

2005 Houston Bowl (TCU)

2007 Texas Bowl (TCU)

2010 Fiesta Bowl (TCU)

2011 Rose Bowl (TCU)

2018 Cheez-It Bowl (TCU)
I know you’re trying to prove a point, but in 1982 Gary was 22 years old and was a grad assistant at Kansas State.

DeuceBoogieNights

thanks, i completely forgot about michigan state's one trip and totally blanked on kirby.

So a majority of the coaches you listed have made the playoff... There's a big factor for ya.

I love Gary but the rose bowl was damn near 10 years ago. Just making the conference championship game isn't enough. He's paid better than to make a nye bowl game occasionally.

DickBumpastache

So he's #4 on that list without coaching at a school called Clemson, Alabama, or tOSU?

Clemson was not a top-tier job until Dabo made it one. Now obviously they will always have more abundant resources than we will, but from a program standpoint, we were about on equal footing with them for the first decade of this millennium. Hell, in 2010 they finished under .500! Since then it’s hasn’t been much of a comparison though.

froginmn

Clemson was not a top-tier job until Dabo made it one. Now obviously they will always have more abundant resources than we will, but from a program standpoint, we were about on equal footing with them for the first decade of this millennium. Hell, in 2010 they finished under .500! Since then it’s hasn’t been much of a comparison though.
Yeah I suppose the same could be said about Alabama, but...

McGregor's Goat

The Iowa State guy who doubled us up would presumably kill to make $1.3mm more, and to live in D/FW and not Ames...

I see comments like this often from many fans regarding many coaches, and it's wrong. Fans often seem to think that there is some objective ranking of the "best" jobs and almost any coach will leave their current job for more money at a "better" job. That may be true for some coaches (e.g., Bobby Petrino), but it often doesn't work that way. Of course almost any coach will leave a MAC job for a Big 10 job, for example, and some destination jobs (Texas, Ohio State, USC, etc) can make a run at established names, but it's extremely unlikely that Campbell would leave Iowa State for TCU. All indications are that he is very happy there and isn't a job hopper; it would take a significantly better job for him to leave. Even when Jimbo Fisher left FSU for A&M, it took the combination of (1) A stupid insane contract, (2) Things were going poorly for Jimbo at FSU and the timing was right for him to reset the shot clock somewhere else.

bronco

GPs paid his salary and then some but it’s “what have you done lately?” Kind of CFB...Unfortunately he hasn’t done much in the last 19 games

So far this year has been ugly for sure but last year was a heck of a coaching job! Second and third string quarterback. No Gaines, Anderson, Turpin, Blacklock and many others. We win out to get bowl eligible and win our bowl game. I think last year was a pretty good job. We certainly had issues at quarterback from day one but mid season that team was going no where.

With Robinson leaving and Rogers lingering injury (man I really hope he recovers and we get to see him play some day) we are a bit behind schedule at the qb spot and I am optimistic that Duggan will mature into a good if not great player. I am not sure Cumbie will or should be here to see it happen.

We have to remember that this offense has done nothing to help the defense and GP has been forced to a gamble a bit to try to get the ball back. Unfortunately that has not worked out all that great.

I believe better days are ahead (maybe not this year).

Froggish

So far this year has been ugly for sure but last year was a heck of a coaching job! Second and third string quarterback. No Gaines, Anderson, Turpin, Blacklock and many others. We win out to get bowl eligible and win our bowl game. I think last year was a pretty good job. We certainly had issues at quarterback from day one but mid season that team was going no where.

With Robinson leaving and Rogers lingering injury (man I really hope he recovers and we get to see him play some day) we are a bit behind schedule at the qb spot and I am optimistic that Duggan will mature into a good if not great player. I am not sure Cumbie will or should be here to see it happen.

We have to remember that this offense has done nothing to help the defense and GP has been forced to a gamble a bit to try to get the ball back. Unfortunately that has not worked out all that great.

I believe better days are ahead (maybe not this year).

I don’t disagree with your statements. By all accounts GP was able to squeeze a lot of juice out of a pretty rough bunch last year. There are some repeated patterns of offensive ineptness though that GP deserves some criticism for. Directly or indirectly the problems we are having are his. I feel like he either has to make the decision to deal with the poor staff or be willing to die on the sword he refuses to use. I hope he can turn it around because legendary or not, this fan base isn’t going to become more forgiving. That’s just not how life works.