• The KillerFrogs

Looking at you Cumbie, offense

flyfishingfrog

Purple Indians who paid TCU big money to watch enjoyable football on their weekends getting restless.

TCU Total Defense #11 in the US

TCU Passing Offense #96 in the US

These TCU assistant coaches need to realize that the coaching grass doesn't get much greener outside cushy Fort Worth and they need to motivate their players to play harder and smarter or they are about to get the axe.

this is my favorite view that everyone on here raging about how bad our defense is this year seems to miss. Open in the middle, lack of DE penetration, inability to stop the wheel route - While our D is worse than it has been historically for a GMFP team - all of that combined still has us as the #11 best defense in the country and the best in the B12.

The view that you should be able to win a game scoring 27 points is not really that true in college football today unfortunately. You have to have an offense that can light it up for 30+ every game.

So instead of focusing on the hope that we would find a better D coach that GMFP (either as a new HC or a D Coordinator) and hope to improve our #11 position somehow - the pressure needs to be on GMFP to find a totally new offensive approach that can match the output of our peers.

Wexahu

this is my favorite view that everyone on here raging about how bad our defense is this year seems to miss. Open in the middle, lack of DE penetration, inability to stop the wheel route - While our D is worse than it has been historically for a GMFP team - all of that combined still has us as the #11 best defense in the country and the best in the B12.

The view that you should be able to win a game scoring 27 points is not really that true in college football today unfortunately. You have to have an offense that can light it up for 30+ every game.

So instead of focusing on the hope that we would find a better D coach that GMFP (either as a new HC or a D Coordinator) and hope to improve our #11 position somehow - the pressure needs to be on GMFP to find a totally new offensive approach that can match the output of our peers.

Sometimes stats are totally misleading. Anyone who has watched us play would know that regardless of the stats, we have nowhere near the 11th best defense in the country, or the best defense in the Big 12. Not even close.

Eight

Top, based on the plain evidence we've seen over the past couple of years, what makes you think that Sonny can:

1.) Formulate a Game Plan that A.) Exploits the weaknesses of the opponent, B.) Puts our kids in positions to succeed.

I sat here writing other points, and realized that he hasn't yet even completed Item 1 in any game so far. (Maybe Kansas, but that gets an asterisk because they just laid down and died.)

UT has a defense that is somewhat broken. We ought to be able to exploit this. They are short on defenders and running the players they have ragged will open up the later stages of the game. Will we do this? Expect a bunch of dive plays...

the one game that i keep going back to and i really can't explain based upon the last 19 games of sonny's tenure as oc at tcu is last year's oklahoma state game.

the frogs ran for 240+ and grayson was 16 of 25 for 180+ throwing the ball.

that game plan highlighted what the frog offense could on the ground and in the passing game and i am struggling to find another game in this 19 game time period that compares in game plan design.

i have said it multiple times, but i really have no idea how they have ended up with this mix of offense this year when they have gone away from some of the things they did well last year and would play well to the strength of their offensive personnel.

ThisIsOurTime

My advice would be:

1. Stop with the hurry up offense. Duggan isn't ready for it. He needs to be calm to throw passes with touch. If they want to run hurry up, they need to use one of the other QBs.
2. Throw the ball to Pro Wells. He can make a play even when he appears to be covered. He should be the 1st or 2nd option in passing trees and not a last option. We should also use Lynn more. Force Duggan to get the ball to these guys.
3. Duggan must be willing to risk the occasional interception and trust that Reagor or Wells can make a play for him. Right now, he is uncomfortable throwing some passes but he needs to set that aside. We need him to take more chances for the good of the offense. I won't be upset with him if he throws a pick or two. I will be upset with him for not giving our guys a chance to make plays.
4. Only make QB substitutions if the QB isn't performing. If he gets into a rhythm, keep that QB in and ride out that rhythm. It is ok to pull Duggan to let him sit a couple of series if the game gets too big for him.
5. Consider moving Reagor to the slot sometimes to find another way to get him the ball.
6. Keep doing the occasional trick play. Sometimes they won't work out but when they do they are great for our offense.
7. Don't be afraid to do an onside kick or fake punt. Make it fun for the team.

Mean Purple

My advice would be:

1. Stop with the hurry up offense. Duggan isn't ready for it. He needs to be calm to throw passes with touch. If they want to run hurry up, they need to use one of the other QBs.
2. Throw the ball to Pro Wells. He can make a play even when he appears to be covered. He should be the 1st or 2nd option in passing trees and not a last option. We should also use Lynn more. Force Duggan to get the ball to these guys.
3. Duggan must be willing to risk the occasional interception and trust that Reagor or Wells can make a play for him. Right now, he is uncomfortable throwing some passes but he needs to set that aside. We need him to take more chances for the good of the offense. I won't be upset with him if he throws a pick or two. I will be upset with him for not giving our guys a chance to make plays.
4. Only make QB substitutions if the QB isn't performing. If he gets into a rhythm, keep that QB in and ride out that rhythm. It is ok to pull Duggan to let him sit a couple of series if the game gets too big for him.
5. Consider moving Reagor to the slot sometimes to find another way to get him the ball.
6. Keep doing the occasional trick play. Sometimes they won't work out but when they do they are great for our offense.
I think maybe Duggan would have been better served being redshirted. If we are going to have to rely on rushing tds so much, could have gone with Delton until Collins was healthy.

Eight

Purple Indians who paid TCU big money to watch enjoyable football on their weekends getting restless.

TCU Total Defense #11 in the US

TCU Passing Offense #96 in the US

These TCU assistant coaches need to realize that the coaching grass doesn't get much greener outside cushy Fort Worth and they need to motivate their players to play harder and smarter or they are about to get the axe.

purple indians? many png alums donating money to tcu?

i like cherry picking the stats for your comparison.

frogs indeed are #11 in total defense, but what is this? the frogs are #39 in total defense which isn't as good as #11, but that also doesn't paint the same picture as your passing offense numbers.

obviously scoring offense will tell a different story right? wait, frogs are #38 in scoring offense.

we can go back and forth with all the numbers you want, but the reality is both sides of the ball have not played as well as they needed when the frogs played their two best opponents to date (smu and iowa state) and last weekend both sides did not step up in key moments.

i know the narrative is more comforting to some that gary is going to magically fix things on the defensive side of the ball, but remember that tcu still has to face 4 of the 5 best offenses in the big 12 and the recent track record hasn't been the best.

do agree though that the offense needs to play better for the frogs to win.

Eight

Ok, @Eight @CountryFrog and @Wexahu , y'all always get pretty in depth on analysis (and you counter my bit :)). So I would appreciate your thoughts on something. Luginbill was on Packer and Durham (SXM Radio ACC and ACC Network) this morning. They were talking about a team that, at the start of the season, I thought was in a similar situation to us personel wise (NC State0. Now, offense has shown to struggle and there are questions at qb. Lugs wondered if it was one of those situations where one qb could have been lights out in practice and the other qb was so so. Then when it was 11 on 11 and the bullets start flying, the guy who was better in practice was not so hot and the other qb could actually get it done.

Got me to thinking: We always heard how Turp showed up better in games than in practice. Soooo, regarding the big question on many folks minds (Why have we not seen Michael Collins way more?); Anybody think this could be an issue where the other two look better in practice, but in game speed, maybe Collins would be better? (Which would mean it would be very hard to tell, given limited game tme, and an even bigger gamble for coaching staff to make that call.)

the first part of the question is the easiest because we all can recall situations or maybe actually experienced a coach who valued practice effort and consistency over game time performance.

gary stressed that max was the best in practice and that is the only real measuring stick as alex doesn't play much and collins played the one series .

was this just smoke? who knows? maybe sonny is being loyal to the quarterbacks he recruited over transfers as wexahu mentioned.

it is hard to say because the only quarterback who has had a solid game playing quarterback for tcu is collins in the kansas game last year where he did pile up the yards, but then again the team still lost

the crazy thing is that tcu offensively is #39 in total offense and has a strong run game if they just could pose any type of threat in the passing game and collins at least last year showed some compotence, but who knows

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
the one game that i keep going back to and i really can't explain based upon the last 19 games of sonny's tenure as oc at tcu is last year's oklahoma state game.

the frogs ran for 240+ and grayson was 16 of 25 for 180+ throwing the ball.

that game plan highlighted what the frog offense could on the ground and in the passing game and i am struggling to find another game in this 19 game time period that compares in game plan design.

i have said it multiple times, but i really have no idea how they have ended up with this mix of offense this year when they have gone away from some of the things they did well last year and would play well to the strength of their offensive personnel.

The Rape U. game in 2016. No one expected much of a game. Suddenly, the run game came out to play, the defense woke up and the Rapists were beaten to a pulp on CAB day. While all were elated at the outcome, we couldn't help asking "Where the hell has this been?"

Eight

My advice would be:

i am not a fan of running a hurry up, but i do wish we would use a bit quicker tempo.

there is just so much wasted time of max standing looking at the defense watching the clock run when everything is stagnant. the frogs don't really use many shifts and i can't ever recall using any motion to give an indicator on coverage.

max gets the call from sonny, relays it to his teammates, and then they just stand for 10-15 seconds which i think makes it tough to establish a flow as well as tough on the offensive line. the defense catches on that you are running the clock down under 5 seconds each time and a different tempo and a quicker snap would help out.

i agree that really have not developed wells in the passing game the way they could and i think the frogs really haven't shown much creativity in the passing game.

build from a power run game and sets, use that to isolate wells in match ups, and move max a bit on rolls and boot legs asking him to make a couple of reads and then run with the ball if nothing is there.

Eight

The Rape U. game in 2016. No one expected much of a game. Suddenly, the run game came out to play, the defense woke up and the Rapists were beaten to a pulp on CAB day. While all were elated at the outcome, we couldn't help asking "Where the hell has this been?"

very good example, now was that doug? sonny? doug and sonny? divine intervention?

Snoop1122

Game plan should be short passes to Taye Barber and Reagor to get Max going early. Establish the run early with Darius so we do not have to put pressure on Max to go deep. I would only throw deep balls to Pro Wells, Lynn, and Reagor. It is important we utilize our big play threats on Saturday. On defense, let's get pressure on the QB, and not give up the wheel routes.

jake102

Game plan should be short passes to Taye Barber and Reagor to get Max going early. Establish the run early with Darius so we do not have to put pressure on Max to go deep. I would only throw deep balls to Pro Wells, Lynn, and Reagor. It is important we utilize our big play threats on Saturday. On defense, let's get pressure on the QB, and not give up the wheel routes.

I have to disagree with most of this. UT isn't going to be interested in giving us short passes to Barber and Reagor, they will force both to go over the top with a safety fading Reagor. Wells and Lynn aren't going deep unless you consider 15 yards deep. We very simply need to hit some of those deep balls to people not named Reagor... despite Hunt not being a fan of catching footballs, he is showing that he can burn a CB in press coverage consistently. Barber can also burn deep.

Defensively the only way we pressure the QB is by bringing 1-2 extra guys because our DEs can't do it. And if you bring 1-2 extra guys Ehlinger is going to run wild. As much as I hate to say it, running 3 man fronts isn't the worst idea ever for UT. Force Ehlinger to beat you throwing the ball into windows. We will give up points, but I think we will get absolutely torched if we bring pressure. He's too good/smart and will find RB outlets or run the ball or find one of his great WRs in single coverage.

Horned Toad

I keep going back and forth. There are times when he can't get it to the endzone, but those also seem to be times when the play calling raises questions. As in, "why did we just take our foot off the gas?" Then there are times when they turn him loose and he tears it up. But the play calling seems to make more sense. So which came first? (which is the result of which?)
Which came first? He’s a freshman, that came first.

Mean Purple

Would make too much sense. Worked in the KU game. So why would they even consider it?

Eight

I have to disagree with most of this. UT isn't going to be interested in giving us short passes to Barber and Reagor, they will force both to go over the top with a safety fading Reagor. Wells and Lynn aren't going deep unless you consider 15 yards deep.

Defensively the only way we pressure the QB is by bringing 1-2 extra guys because our DEs can't do it. And if you bring 1-2 extra guys Ehlinger is going to run wild. As much as I hate to say it, running 3 man fronts isn't the worst idea ever for UT. Force Ehlinger to beat you throwing the ball into windows. We will give up points, but I think we will get absolutely torched if we bring pressure. He's too good/smart and will find RB outlets or run the ball or find one of his great WRs in single coverage.

i agree on sam. really can see mensa isolating the texas backs, tight ends, and inside receivers on clear out and crossing routes.

i really don't want to see the linebackers matched up in man coverage chasing a horn receiver running through an area that was cleared out and another defender isn't around for 15-20 yards.

ThisIsOurTime

I have to disagree with most of this. UT isn't going to be interested in giving us short passes to Barber and Reagor, they will force both to go over the top with a safety fading Reagor. Wells and Lynn aren't going deep unless you consider 15 yards deep. We very simply need to hit some of those deep balls to people not named Reagor... despite Hunt not being a fan of catching footballs, he is showing that he can burn a CB in press coverage consistently. Barber can also burn deep.

Probably true although I would prefer us still bring a 4 man rush even if one is delayed. And you can still bring the occasional LB or CB blitz on passing downs.

yurintroubl

My advice would be:..

TEMPO: That elusive middle ground between hurry-up and "last-minute Annie Play-change Signals From the Sideline" that we seem to be lacking
2. Throw the ball to Pro Wells. Perhaps something other than 11yd Out route or 7yd curl. He can make a play even when he appears to be covered. He should be the 1st or 2nd option in passing trees and not a last option. We should also use Lynn more. Force Duggan to get the ball to these guys.
Duggan appeared to be going through his progressions really well the first few games.... Then it fell off as our guys weren't getting as much separation as Defenses adjusted to our tendencies.
Obviously not if things are rolling ... but - if there is a teachable moment where they sub the QB for a play or 2 at any point... I would be OK with that. Backup QBs MUST be ready for their number to be called at any moment.
Oh, boy.... Now we're getting into Route Concept territory.
Already went into that in-depth HERE.

How about we just incorporate some plays with a bit of simple misdirection into our Offense in general. Not talking about RPOs or play action....
7. Don't be afraid to do an onside kick or fake punt. Make it fun for the team