• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: Max Duggan gives TCU best chance to win according to Patterson

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
9480210.jpg

Max Duggan gives TCU best chance to win according to Patterson

By Jeremy Clark

TCU head coach Gary Patterson isn’t listening to critics about his true freshman quarterback Max Duggan.

The Frogs currently sit a 3-3 overall and 1-2 in Big 12 play following their 24-17 loss on the road to Kansas State last Saturday. In the loss, Duggan again struggled in the first half throwing the football, completing just 5-of-11 passes for 33 yards. In the Frogs’ previous game against Iowa State, Duggan completed just 5-of-10 passes in the first half.

Duggan finished strong in the second half of those games, including a 12-of-15 performance against Iowa State, but for some TCU fans the inconsistency from Duggan throwing the football has become tiresome. Some have suggested seeing what others on the roster including last season’s backup Mike Collins can do throwing the football. Some have suggested Justin Rogers or even Ohio State transfer Matthew Baldwin to get more snaps.

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/A...hance-win-according-Gary-Patterson-137320861/

ShreveFrog

And last year coaches thought SR gave us the best chance. Look, I like Max. I agree he's going to be good. But he's not good right now.

You're telling me what Max is doing is better than what Collins can do right now? Call me skeptical.

At least with the roady to K-State behind us, we can officially shelve the experiment with #16 and bring on Collins if we need a spark. Right, coach?

Planks

At this point I wonder if coaches are just trolling us fans with the Delton stuff. It’s a crazy explanation, but it makes the most sense given what we’ve seen.

JockO de Frog

"As far as practice and everything else he’s been the best one of the group; it’s pretty simple,” Patterson said of Duggan. “The bottom line is at the end of the day you evaluate the guy you’re going to play with that you feel gives you the best chance to win. That’s the reason why we’re playing Max because he’s giving us a chance to win.”

Almost exactly what Patterson said before he just had to put in Jeff Ballard in the BYU game due to injuries of our number one and two quarterbacks. For crying out loud, Paterson, try Collins!

Mean Purple

9480210.jpg

Max Duggan gives TCU best chance to win according to Patterson

By Jeremy Clark

TCU head coach Gary Patterson isn’t listening to critics about his true freshman quarterback Max Duggan.

The Frogs currently sit a 3-3 overall and 1-2 in Big 12 play following their 24-17 loss on the road to Kansas State last Saturday. In the loss, Duggan again struggled in the first half throwing the football, completing just 5-of-11 passes for 33 yards. In the Frogs’ previous game against Iowa State, Duggan completed just 5-of-10 passes in the first half.

Duggan finished strong in the second half of those games, including a 12-of-15 performance against Iowa State, but for some TCU fans the inconsistency from Duggan throwing the football has become tiresome. Some have suggested seeing what others on the roster including last season’s backup Mike Collins can do throwing the football. Some have suggested Justin Rogers or even Ohio State transfer Matthew Baldwin to get more snaps.

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/A...hance-win-according-Gary-Patterson-137320861/
So what is the bowl game you go to when qb's practice well?

Mean Purple

We also missed some reads, we had Reagor open down the middle of the field, wide open, he beat his guy, and we had set the play up to do it and a young quarterback’s got to keep seeing those kinds of things.”

Eight

Our coaching staff's contempt for Collins continues to confuse me. I don't even think he's "good", just significantly better than Delton and at worst our second best QB right now.

i think this is where a number of us are on collins.

he showed he was competent in the offense last year, not great, not really even good, but he didn't panic in the pocket, made the reads, and could get the ball close to the receivers on a consistent basis.

maybe that was a 2-game blip, who really knows, but i really was a bit disappointed with the way max and hunt regressed last week in the passing game.

hunt missed some very catchable balls and max 3-4 times on the deep ball did not give his receivers a chance to make a play after we had seen some progress from the two in prior weeks.

Wexahu

i think this is where a number of us are on collins.

he showed he was competent in the offense last year, not great, not really even good, but he didn't panic in the pocket, made the reads, and could get the ball close to the receivers on a consistent basis.

maybe that was a 2-game blip, who really knows, but i really was a bit disappointed with the way max and hunt regressed last week in the passing game.

hunt missed some very catchable balls and max 3-4 times on the deep ball did not give his receivers a chance to make a play after we had seen some progress from the two in prior weeks.

Hunt's drop on that 2nd and 4 or 5 was just brutal and kind of summarizes the entire season. We had scored the drive before and stopped them, and were then driving again. Finally, a chance to create some kind of tangible momentum, even if it's just a little. Then that happened, we're in 3rd and 5, and you just know what is coming.

I'm not sure he's ever going to be a consistently reliable player, just doesn't have natural hands at all. He has the look of a kid who might be better served putting on 10-15 lbs and playing LB.

Snoop1122

Hunt is the most inconsistent receiver on the team. Honestly, GP needs to get rid of Rusty Burns in the offseason. On the QB's, all quarterbacks on the roster should be given a chance in the last half of the season.

Eight

Hunt is the most inconsistent receiver on the team. Honestly, GP needs to get rid of Rusty Burns in the offseason. On the QB's, all quarterbacks on the roster should be given a chance in the last half of the season.

rusty retired from coaching in the off season and is an offensive anlayst. you have to love a guy who you basically fired as your oc is now one of the offensive analyst.

yeah.........jarrett anderson is the "senior" receiver coach and i am curious if he is the lead working with the receivers or is it malcolm kelly?

Mean Purple

rusty retired from coaching in the off season and is an offensive anlayst. you have to love a guy who you basically fired as your oc is now one of the offensive analyst.

yeah.........jarrett anderson is the "senior" receiver coach and i am curious if he is the lead working with the receivers or is it malcolm kelly?
are there fewer drops this year?

kaiser soze

With only one (maybe zero) reliable targets to (over)throw to, why do we insist on running 4 WR sets?

Maybe throw in a FB and TE and drop down to 1 or 2 WR sets and make these young men hungry to perform when called on.

jake102

Hunt's drop on that 2nd and 4 or 5 was just brutal and kind of summarizes the entire season. We had scored the drive before and stopped them, and were then driving again. Finally, a chance to create some kind of tangible momentum, even if it's just a little. Then that happened, we're in 3rd and 5, and you just know what is coming.

I'm not sure he's ever going to be a consistently reliable player, just doesn't have natural hands at all. He has the look of a kid who might be better served putting on 10-15 lbs and playing LB.

The fun part is that on 3rd and 5 we had a wide open Barber deep and overthrew him. Probably a TD

CountryFrog

The fun part is that on 3rd and 5 we had a wide open Barber deep and overthrew him. Probably a TD
It's stuff like this that makes it hard for me to be super critical of Cumbie the play caller. I'm not saying he's great by any means but also don't think he's the clueless moron that many people on here claim. We've had open receivers all over the field pretty much every week. There are points to be had.

Now anyone who wants to criticize Cumbie the QB Coach, there's certainly some ammo in that gun. He did a GREAT job with Boykin and a good job with Hill, but hasn't shown much yet with "his guys." I love Max's potential but he's a true freshman who really should be redshirting; yet because we couldn't select/develop an older QB then here we are.