• The KillerFrogs

Les Miles Midseason Kansas OC Change

Ray Finkle

Worked.

After pitiful offensive performances, Miles fired his OC, promoted the senior analyst to OC, has a bye week, and almost wins in Austin. They hung 48 on UT after averaging 17.8 points a game, excluding the Boston College win where this analyst created the offensive game plan.

Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke—hate to break it to you Coach P, it’s broke.

We need to make some changes. This boat show over the last 2 seasons has gone on long enough.

y2kFrog

Worked.

After pitiful offensive performances, Miles fired his OC, promoted the senior analyst to OC, has a bye week, and almost wins in Austin. They hung 48 on UT after averaging 17.8 points a game, excluding the Boston College win where this analyst created the offensive game plan.

Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke—hate to break it to you Coach P, it’s broke.

We need to make some changes. This boat show over the last 2 seasons has gone on long enough.

While I agree we need a new OC bad, and I pretty certain that will happen. I am sure KU hung close because Texas's defense is terrible. One thing is for sure, we get to test the theory on Saturday.

Planks

The problem in TCU’s case is that our lead offensive analyst is Rusty Burns. I don’t see how our offense gets any better with Burns leading things.

This is probably another noteworthy point from a long list takeaways from this season, having good analysts on staff provide a lot of value to a program (see Sonny Dykes and TCU in 2017). Yet another thing TCU needs to work on to bring our program into the 21st century.

Limp Lizard

Like I said much earlier in the season. The worst news is that GP has gone on record being very much against firing a coach in mid season, even to the extent of publicly criticizing the coaches who do so.

Wonder how many recruits we lose, how many top offensive players we lose to the portal after this year. A good year would have brought one of out best recruiting classes. Still damn poor classes for a team who have finished in the top ten so many times the last dozen years. Too, bad, I fear we missed a wide-open window, slammed it shut and nailed it shut. I have doubts the program will ever survive this season.:(:(

At least we have a basketball program that gets good recruits and insists on winning now...not "in the long run."

Not garbage recruits and tries to turn them into players in a few years, like football. Don't buy that tired line that GP vomits every February that he doesn't know who has stars. We offer almost all the 4/5* that go to Texas, OU, a$m, we just get two or three at the most whereas they get double digits. It makes a difference. I think we have missed a chance. Baylor and Tech will now get those guys, unless we do something on offense that will still attention. Don't hold your breath.

An exercise...go to 24/7 for the last 3-4 years look at the 4/5 stars Texas players who went to UT, OU, a$m or a traditional out of state powerhouse and look at their offer list. A very, very high percentage also got offers from TCU. TCU knows good and well who those guys were and offered. Top ten after top ten ranking for TCU with underachieving by virtually every other FBS team in the state for years. Now we are the underachiever, and I have serious doubts if we will ever recover like the others have.

And all because we kept an awful OC several years too long.

Ray Finkle

Coaching is a cutthroat business. Guys hire best friends and tell them, don’t take the job if you’re going to hold a grudge against me firing you.

Les has won a National Championship and obviously saw one guy on staff had it and another didn’t. The guy wants to win and he’s going to do everything possible (hopefully without going Baylor) to help his team succeed.

I’d have no problem with Cumbie being QBs coach and finding a talented OC going forward. I don’t know if I see any of this happening. What we saw with Schultz’s tenure showed me that Coach P can’t make these necessary changes.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Like I said much earlier in the season. The worst news is that GP has gone on record being very much against firing a coach in mid season, even to the extent of publicly criticizing the coaches who do so.

Wonder how many recruits we lose, how many top offensive players we lose to the portal after this year. A good year would have brought one of out best recruiting classes. Still damn poor classes for a team who have finished in the top ten so many times the last dozen years. Too, bad, I fear we missed a wide-open window, slammed it shut and nailed it shut. I have doubts the program will ever survive this season.:(:(

At least we have a basketball program that gets good recruits and insists on winning now...not "in the long run."

Not garbage recruits and tries to turn them into players in a few years, like football. Don't buy that tired line that GP vomits every February that he doesn't know who has stars. We offer almost all the 4/5* that go to Texas, OU, a$m, we just get two or three at the most whereas they get double digits. It makes a difference. I think we have missed a chance. Baylor and Tech will now get those guys, unless we do something on offense that will still attention. Don't hold your breath.

An exercise...go to 24/7 for the last 3-4 years look at the 4/5 stars Texas players who went to UT, OU, a$m or a traditional out of state powerhouse and look at their offer list. A very, very high percentage also got offers from TCU. TCU knows good and well who those guys were and offered. Top ten after top ten ranking for TCU with underachieving by virtually every other FBS team in the state for years. Now we are the underachiever, and I have serious doubts if we will ever recover like the others have.

And all because we kept an awful OC several years too long.
You are one hell of a drama queen.

Froggy Style

You are one hell of a drama queen.
...and he happens to be 100% correct. Cumbie is the worst I have ever seen...and yet we keep doing the same crap every week.

Anderson plays first and second down getting one carry. Sewo, our best DE, comes in for 3rd down, but then gets the next three to five plays. Then Anderson gets to come back in for a few plays only to get pulled on third. If Sewo is our third down blocking back, then put Anderson back in on first. We can't, because we're in hurry up to get a fast incompletion.

Sewo, our best DE, get's decent 4 yard carries, but you lose all chance for the home run. Result? You outgain the other team, but lose on the scoreboard.

For some reason, Gary almost gets off on it so his defense can try to play hero and win by one. It is unnecessary...and unnerving to fans to watch such incompetency.

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate
...and he happens to be 100% correct. Cumbie is the worst I have ever seen...and yet we keep doing the same crap every week.

Anderson plays first and second down getting one carry. Sewo, our best DE, comes in for 3rd down, but then gets the next three to five plays. Then Anderson gets to come back in for a few plays only to get pulled on third. If Sewo is our third down blocking back, then put Anderson back in on first. We can't, because we're in hurry up to get a fast incompletion.

Sewo, our best DE, get's decent 4 yard carries, but you lose all chance for the home run. Result? You outgain the other team, but lose on the scoreboard.

For some reason, Gary almost gets off on it so his defense can try to play hero and win by one. It is unnecessary...and unnerving to fans to watch such incompetency.
Not the part I was talking about but thanks for taking the time to respond unnecessarily.

“Worst you have ever seen” is also being overly dramatic. And I have never been unnerved a single time watching a football game. Seems like a useless reaction to a sporting event. I probably should assume you are on those “fans” that gets embarrassed by losses too?

dawg

The problem in TCU’s case is that our lead offensive analyst is Rusty Burns. I don’t see how our offense gets any better with Burns leading things.

This is probably another noteworthy point from a long list takeaways from this season, having good analysts on staff provide a lot of value to a program (see Sonny Dykes and TCU in 2017). Yet another thing TCU needs to work on to bring our program into the 21st century.

So in the offseason when the head coach was deciding on an offensive analyst, he said to himself "you know who really ran an explosive offense with a lot of great ideas? The dude who coordinated my 2013 offense!" So the architect of third-worst TCU offense of the Fran/Patterson era (2019 and 2018 are No 1 and 2) is now giving the OC advice? The guy who's offense was SO BAD that the same head coach had to bring in two new OCs and completely switch philosophies?

source.gif

Froggy Style

Not the part I was talking about but thanks for taking the time to respond unnecessarily.

“Worst you have ever seen” is also being overly dramatic. And I have never been unnerved a single time watching a football game. Seems like a useless reaction to a sporting event. I probably should assume you are on those “fans” that gets embarrassed by losses too?

Really? You think having a first round WR and an NFL RB unable to get their hands on the ball and unable to put 20 points on the board isn't the worst? Not sure what world you're living in, but it's pretty freaking bad. Not sure what you're talking about on the embarrassed side...but you're damn sure I've stopped watching this bad football. I have stopped watching two games this year just out of sheer disgust for bad play-calling. QB draws on 3rd and 8. Leaving WRs running free on 3rd and 17. A Defensive end as your featured RB while an NFL back sits on the bench.

If you think hardcore fans tuning out is good for the program and want to attribute it to me being embarrassed, then you're enabling and defending the 3rd grade playcalling is actually the problem. I recommend a statue of Cumbie and a Ribbon cutting for our membership in the new WAC.

Last edited:

Froggy Style

Gary's 'Good Ol' Boy's Club' has evolved into a haven and the epitome for job security. Ability, skill, and

performance be damned!
...but Gary gets to play hero again in his win by 1 instead of blow them out by 20...or at least he get's to try to. Unfortunately, his defense has been figured out...and lose by 7 due to stolen signs is the new saying.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Really? You think having a first round WR and an NFL RB unable to get their hands on the ball and unable to put 20 points on the board isn't the worst? Not sure what world you're living in, but it's pretty freaking bad. Not sure what you're talking about on the embarrassed side...but you're damn sure I've stopped watching this bad football. I have stopped watching two games this year just out of sheer disgust for bad play-calling. QB draws on 3rd and 8. Leaving WRs running free on 3rd and 17. A Defensive end as your featured RB while an NFL back sits on the bench.

If you think hardcore fans tuning out is good for the program and want to attribute it to me being embarrassed, then your enabling and defending the 3rd grade playcalling is actually the problem. I recommend a statue of Cumbie and a Ribbon cutting for our membership in the new WAC.
Hardcore fans don’t tune out.

You said “worst” which is just hyperbole. I could use statistics to prove you are wrong but I can tell you are a feelings type of guy.

If you can’t handle the bad times then you don’t deserve the good times.

Froggy Style

Hardcore fans don’t tune out.

You said “worst” which is just hyperbole. I could use statistics to prove you are wrong but I can tell you are a feelings type of guy.

If you can’t handle the bad times then you don’t deserve the good times.
I've been riding with the frogs since the late 70's...pretty sure I've paid my dues. You are correct though, Cumbie has made me submit my hardcore card resignation.

I've earned the right to turn off the TV whenever I please as Einstein has defined insanity (perhaps)...which is a 'feeling' I definitely avoid.

Yes, it was hyperbole. Kudos to you for being so astute.

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I've been riding with the frogs since the late 70's...pretty sure I've paid my dues. You are correct though, Cumbie has made me submit my hardcore card resignation.

I've earned the right to turn off the TV whenever I please as Einstein has defined insanity (perhaps)...which is a 'feeling' I definitely avoid.

Yes, it was hyperbole. Kudos to you for being so astute.
You didn’t quit in the 70’s but you’re quitting now? Odd decision making.

Do you have good seats? If so I look forward to upgrading to them next year.

So in the offseason when the head coach was deciding on an offensive analyst, he said to himself "you know who really ran an explosive offense with a lot of great ideas? The dude who coordinated my 2013 offense!" So the architect of third-worst TCU offense of the Fran/Patterson era (2019 and 2018 are No 1 and 2) is now giving the OC advice? The guy who's offense was SO BAD that the same head coach had to bring in two new OCs and completely switch philosophies?

source.gif
It gets worse. The other half of that 2013 duo is the guy up in the up in the booth advising Cumbie.

Limey Frog

This is where I actually sympathize with Cumbie. I still think he sucks, but ask yourself why GP's coaching tree has zero branches on it?

1. He is endlessly loyal to coaches who never get offers to to leave.
2. In this industry there is only one reason why you never get offers to leave: you suck.
3. When he finally did bring in new blood after the 2013 debacle he hired two co-OCs but told them that their position coaches would be exactly the pack of clowns who had been so woeful for years previously.

Were Sonny and Meach ever really in charge of the offense? Can we ever have an OC who is, or can GP ever ever fix his own defense or special teams so long as his same cronies have absolute job security? Nope.

Froggy Style

You didn’t quit in the 70’s but you’re quitting now? Odd decision making.

Do you have good seats? If so I look forward to upgrading to them next year.
Well, I was 6...so I'm not sure I could tell that we had no talent, just hope. Now we have talent but no coaching...and therefore no hope as long as Cumbie is calling plays.

If that statement is odd...then you need to look in the mirror.